|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon what river bank is Valan's show parked?
2. What does Elayne tell Birgitte when Birgitte awakes?
3. Why is Elayne angry at Nynaeve?
4. Upon what does Rand stand to view the situation at Cairhien?
5. What creates toh for Aviendha towards Elayne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elayne demonstrate her compassion and potential as the next queen of Andor when they are leaving a boat out of Samara?
2. Describe three of the refugees that make their way onto the boat with Elayne's group.
3. How does Mat end up fighting the Shaido?
4. What do Nynaeve and Galad talk about?
5. How does Rand end up adding more to his list of women who have been killed around him or because of him?
6. What do the nobles of Cairhien ask of Rand and what is Rand's response?
7. Why is Lanfear irate and what happens as a result?
8. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
9. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
10. What does the Little Tower ask of Gareth Bryne and what is his response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
Describe the political situation in The Fires of Heaven and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them.
Rand states over and over that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way?
How do Siuan and Lean decide to manipulate the other Aes Sedai even after the two woman have been toppled from power and no longer have the ability to channel? Do you think they would have attempted to manipulate other Aes Sedai if they had not been Aes Sedai at one time themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Elayne is one of the three women that Min saw in Rand's future, along with herself. The third will be the Aiel woman, Aviendha. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Jordan has Rand involved (eventually) with three women?
Does Rand's involvement with three women throughout the series add or subtract from the main story? Explain your reasoning.
Do you think it is believable that the three women are willing to share Rand's affections? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)