|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom is Isendre sleeping?
2. Why are Nynaeve and her group fleeing Samara?
3. What does the note to Kadere say?
4. Why is Elayne angry at Nynaeve?
5. Where does the boat take Nynaeve and the rest of the group?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mat end up killing Couladin?
2. Why is Lanfear irate and what happens as a result?
3. How does Mat end up fighting the Shaido?
4. How does Elayne demonstrate her compassion and potential as the next queen of Andor when they are leaving a boat out of Samara?
5. What does Moiraine give Rand?
6. What does Davram Bashere want and what is Rand's response?
7. What does Valan Luca's group find when they camp on the border between Amadicia and Ghealdan?
8. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
9. Describe Rand and Aviendha's encounter with the Seanchan.
10. What is the beginning of Mat's army (later to be called the Red Hand)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand Al'thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Elayne is one of the three women that Min saw in Rand's future, along with herself. The third will be the Aiel woman, Aviendha. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Jordan has Rand involved (eventually) with three women?
Does Rand's involvement with three women throughout the series add or subtract from the main story? Explain your reasoning.
Do you think it is believable that the three women are willing to share Rand's affections? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There is a "coup" in the White Tower and Siuan is deposed and stilled as the Amyrlin Seat. Discuss the following:
Why is Siuan deposed?
What happens as a result of the cou
What do you think it says about Siuan and Leane's characters that they are willing to appear to the sisters in Salidar with no power and offer whatever assistance they can.
What does it mean to be stilled? How does it affect Siuan and Leanne?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)