|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as the gateway closes?
2. Where does Rand transport himself and some Aiel?
3. Who wants to see Rand?
4. Why do Rand and Aviendha make their way back to the gateway?
5. What does Elayne force the captain of the boat to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the beginning of Mat's army (later to be called the Red Hand)?
2. Who is Masema and why does Uno take Nynaeve to see him?
3. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
4. How does Rand end up adding more to his list of women who have been killed around him or because of him?
5. How does Mat end up killing Couladin?
6. What does Min share with Elayne about Rand from one of Min's visions that involves Min and Elayne? What is Elayne's response?
7. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
8. What does Elayne finally tell Thom and Juilin after she has bonded Brigitte?
9. What does Moiraine give Rand?
10. Describe the interaction between Nynaeve and Uno.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand Al'thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Rand to Rahvin. Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Nynaeve to Elayne. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful? How do their magical talents compare?
3. Compare/contrast Siuan to Leane. How do they approach their stilling in different ways? Who is more likable? Who is the more sympathetic character? Or are either? Are they both good? Evil? Or a combination?
Essay Topic 3
Traveling in the Wheel of Time series evolves, a phenomenon that also helps the book's pacing. First, Rand and the others travel by foot and horse; then the "Ways" are introduced, which significantly cuts down on the time it takes to get from one point to another. In SHADOW RISING, Rand uses a portal stone for travel across vast distances; however, one must first walk to a portal stone, so the travel cannot be said to be instantaneous. Finally, in a later book, a technique called "Traveling" is introduced where a doorway is magically "sliced" into the air and one can instantly be where s/he wants to go. Discuss the following:
What is the advantage of having the characters travel by horse and foot across long distances requiring significant amounts of time? What are the disadvantages?
How is the plot affected when the ability to travel from point A to point B is drastically reduced? Give examples from the book.
How would one or two scenes in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN be affected if Rand or any other channeling individual could not instantly move from one place to another?
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)