|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom are Elayne and Nynaeve on the run?
2. Who does Galad want Elayne to avoid?
3. Who is Hadnan Kadere assigned to watch?
4. Which nobles does Aviendha not trust?
5. What favor does Nynaeve ask of Masema?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elayne demonstrate her compassion and potential as the next queen of Andor when they are leaving a boat out of Samara?
2. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
3. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
4. What does Davram Bashere want and what is Rand's response?
5. What does Min share with Elayne about Rand from one of Min's visions that involves Min and Elayne? What is Elayne's response?
6. How does Mat end up fighting the Shaido?
7. How does Mat help in the planning of the battle against the Shaido and what are Rand and Lan's reactions?
8. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
9. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
10. Who is Masema and why does Uno take Nynaeve to see him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a "coup" in the White Tower and Siuan is deposed and stilled as the Amyrlin Seat. Discuss the following:
Why is Siuan deposed?
What happens as a result of the cou
What do you think it says about Siuan and Leane's characters that they are willing to appear to the sisters in Salidar with no power and offer whatever assistance they can.
What does it mean to be stilled? How does it affect Siuan and Leanne?
Essay Topic 2
Rand Al'thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)