|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lanfear irate?
2. Who wants to see Rand?
3. Who is guarding the gateway?
4. What is the state of Cairhien when Rand arrives?
5. Why does Masema say Nynaeve is blessed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
2. What do Nynaeve and Galad talk about?
3. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
4. What does Davram Bashere want and what is Rand's response?
5. What does the Little Tower ask of Gareth Bryne and what is his response?
6. Who is Masema and why does Uno take Nynaeve to see him?
7. How does Brigitte come out of Tel'Aran'Rhiod into the physical world?
8. How does Mat end up fighting the Shaido?
9. What do Nynaeve and Elayne tell the sisters in Salidar and what is their response?
10. How does Mat help in the planning of the battle against the Shaido and what are Rand and Lan's reactions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Traveling in the Wheel of Time series evolves, a phenomenon that also helps the book's pacing. First, Rand and the others travel by foot and horse; then the "Ways" are introduced, which significantly cuts down on the time it takes to get from one point to another. In SHADOW RISING, Rand uses a portal stone for travel across vast distances; however, one must first walk to a portal stone, so the travel cannot be said to be instantaneous. Finally, in a later book, a technique called "Traveling" is introduced where a doorway is magically "sliced" into the air and one can instantly be where s/he wants to go. Discuss the following:
What is the advantage of having the characters travel by horse and foot across long distances requiring significant amounts of time? What are the disadvantages?
How is the plot affected when the ability to travel from point A to point B is drastically reduced? Give examples from the book.
How would one or two scenes in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN be affected if Rand or any other channeling individual could not instantly move from one place to another?
Essay Topic 2
Jordan treats the world of dreams as an actual world where what happens there can impact people when not in the dream world; for example, if one is killed in the dream world, they are dead in "real life." Discuss one of the following:
Describe and analyze the interactions between Moghedien and Nynaeve/Elayne in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Describe and analyze Tel'Aran'Rhiod and how it impacts the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Why do you think Jordan includes the world of Tel'Aran'Rhiod in his Wheel of Time series?
Essay Topic 3
Wise Ones of the Aiel are similar to Aes Sedai in that they are able to wield the one power. Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Wise Ones to Aes Sedai.
Would you rather join the ranks of the Wise Ones or Aes Sedai if you knew you could channel? Explain fully.
All Wise Ones are not good, nor are all Aes Sedai good. What are the increased dangers of those who can channel being darkfriends versus just normal human beings? Why do you think there are there more black Ajah than Wise Ones who have gone over to the Dark Lord?
This section contains 1,567 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)