|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What group is camped on the river also?
2. What does Min tell Siuan?
3. Who are the letters addressed to that Moiraine hands to Rand?
4. What does Mat tell Lan?
5. Who are Talmanes and Nalesean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Valan Luca's group find when they camp on the border between Amadicia and Ghealdan?
2. What do Nynaeve and Elayne tell the sisters in Salidar and what is their response?
3. What does Davram Bashere want and what is Rand's response?
4. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
5. Who is Masema and why does Uno take Nynaeve to see him?
6. How does Mat end up fighting the Shaido?
7. Describe the interaction between Nynaeve and Uno.
8. What does Elayne finally tell Thom and Juilin after she has bonded Brigitte?
9. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
10. Why is Lanfear irate and what happens as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Traveling in the Wheel of Time series evolves, a phenomenon that also helps the book's pacing. First, Rand and the others travel by foot and horse; then the "Ways" are introduced, which significantly cuts down on the time it takes to get from one point to another. In SHADOW RISING, Rand uses a portal stone for travel across vast distances; however, one must first walk to a portal stone, so the travel cannot be said to be instantaneous. Finally, in a later book, a technique called "Traveling" is introduced where a doorway is magically "sliced" into the air and one can instantly be where s/he wants to go. Discuss the following:
What is the advantage of having the characters travel by horse and foot across long distances requiring significant amounts of time? What are the disadvantages?
How is the plot affected when the ability to travel from point A to point B is drastically reduced? Give examples from the book.
How would one or two scenes in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN be affected if Rand or any other channeling individual could not instantly move from one place to another?
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 3
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,460 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)