|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Isendre tell Kadere?
2. Who is responsible for the collapse of Rand's observation spot?
3. What does Nynaeve manage to get on Moghedien?
4. What favor does Nynaeve ask of Masema?
5. Who does Mat kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Lanfear irate and what happens as a result?
2. What do Nynaeve and Elayne tell the sisters in Salidar and what is their response?
3. How does Mat help in the planning of the battle against the Shaido and what are Rand and Lan's reactions?
4. How does Rand end up adding more to his list of women who have been killed around him or because of him?
5. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
6. What does Valan Luca's group find when they camp on the border between Amadicia and Ghealdan?
7. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
8. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
9. What does Min share with Elayne about Rand from one of Min's visions that involves Min and Elayne? What is Elayne's response?
10. How is Rand received in Cairhien?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 3
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
This section contains 1,489 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)