|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uno offer Nynaeve?
2. What does Kadere do to silence Isendre?
3. Who is holding a boat for Nynaeve and her group?
4. Upon what does Rand stand to view the situation at Cairhien?
5. What does Elayne tell Birgitte when Birgitte awakes?
Essay Topic 1
Wise Ones of the Aiel are similar to Aes Sedai in that they are able to wield the one power. Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Wise Ones to Aes Sedai.
Would you rather join the ranks of the Wise Ones or Aes Sedai if you knew you could channel? Explain fully.
All Wise Ones are not good, nor are all Aes Sedai good. What are the increased dangers of those who can channel being darkfriends versus just normal human beings? Why do you think there are there more black Ajah than Wise Ones who have gone over to the Dark Lord?
Essay Topic 2
Rand Al'thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Rand becomes much more upset over the deaths of women than that of men, especially if he thinks he is in someway responsible. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rand's attitude towards women versus men. How are they similar/different? Is he less harsh towards women? Does he treat some women (such as Aes Sedai) differently than others?
2. When Rand hesitates to kill Lanfear, Moiraine has to intervene and is thus (probably) killed herself. Discuss and analyze this situation in light of Rand's attitude towards women and his thoughts about what happens in this scene.
3. Do you think Rand will change his attitude about killing women after what happens between Moirane and Lanfear? Why or why not?
4. Does Rand need to re-evaluate his attitude towards women? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,337 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)