|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elayne force the captain of the boat to do?
2. What does Elayne tell Thom and Juilin?
3. What does Min tell Siuan?
4. What does the note to Kadere say?
5. What group is camped on the river also?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Min share with Elayne about Rand from one of Min's visions that involves Min and Elayne? What is Elayne's response?
2. What do Nynaeve and Elayne tell the sisters in Salidar and what is their response?
3. What is the beginning of Mat's army (later to be called the Red Hand)?
4. How does Mat help in the planning of the battle against the Shaido and what are Rand and Lan's reactions?
5. What does Elayne finally tell Thom and Juilin after she has bonded Brigitte?
6. What does Moiraine give Rand?
7. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
8. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
9. How does Mat end up killing Couladin?
10. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 3
Jordan treats the world of dreams as an actual world where what happens there can impact people when not in the dream world; for example, if one is killed in the dream world, they are dead in "real life." Discuss one of the following:
Describe and analyze the interactions between Moghedien and Nynaeve/Elayne in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Describe and analyze Tel'Aran'Rhiod and how it impacts the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Why do you think Jordan includes the world of Tel'Aran'Rhiod in his Wheel of Time series?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)