|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nobles does Aviendha not trust?
2. Why does Masema say Nynaeve is blessed?
3. Where is Couladin and a force of Shaido going?
4. What group is camped on the river also?
5. What does the Shienaran who is watching the circus have to do with Nynaeve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
2. What does Moiraine give Rand?
3. What does Uno offer Nynaeve and what is her response?
4. How does Brigitte come out of Tel'Aran'Rhiod into the physical world?
5. What do Nynaeve and Galad talk about?
6. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
7. Describe three of the refugees that make their way onto the boat with Elayne's group.
8. How does Rand end up adding more to his list of women who have been killed around him or because of him?
9. Describe Rand and Aviendha's encounter with the Seanchan.
10. What do Nynaeve and Elayne tell the sisters in Salidar and what is their response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Rand to Rahvin. Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Nynaeve to Elayne. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful? How do their magical talents compare?
3. Compare/contrast Siuan to Leane. How do they approach their stilling in different ways? Who is more likable? Who is the more sympathetic character? Or are either? Are they both good? Evil? Or a combination?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)