|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rand transport himself and some Aiel?
2. What message does Rand send to Cairhien?
3. Who wants to see Rand?
4. What does Aviendha keep Rand from doing?
5. What do the Aes Sedai in Salidar ask Gareth Bryne?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Rand and Aviendha's encounter with the Seanchan.
2. Describe the interaction between Nynaeve and Uno.
3. How is Rand received in Cairhien?
4. What does the Little Tower ask of Gareth Bryne and what is his response?
5. Why is Lanfear irate and what happens as a result?
6. What do Nynaeve and Elayne tell the sisters in Salidar and what is their response?
7. What does Davram Bashere want and what is Rand's response?
8. What does Valan Luca's group find when they camp on the border between Amadicia and Ghealdan?
9. What does Moiraine give Rand?
10. What is the beginning of Mat's army (later to be called the Red Hand)?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 2
Several of the Forsaken appear in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Discuss the following:
Who are the Forsaken and what is their role in the Wheel of Time series (You should be able to figure this out through what is said in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
Discuss the implications of Nynaeve being able to capture Moghedien and Rand having Asmodean to heel.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Fires of Heaven based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 1,358 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)