Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is laid out on the floor?
2. What favor does Nynaeve ask of Masema?
3. What does Gareth ask for in return for his aid?
4. What do the Aes Sedai in Salidar ask Gareth Bryne?
5. Why does Elayne bond Birgitte as a Warder?
Essay Topic 1
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
Describe the political situation in The Fires of Heaven and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them.
Rand states over and over that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way?
How do Siuan and Lean decide to manipulate the other Aes Sedai even after the two woman have been toppled from power and no longer have the ability to channel? Do you think they would have attempted to manipulate other Aes Sedai if they had not been Aes Sedai at one time themselves?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)