|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Brigitte not believe about Elayne until they are on the boat?
2. What is the state of Cairhien when Rand arrives?
3. Why does Aviendha upbraid Rand?
4. Where does Moiraine force Lanfear?
5. Why does Masema say Nynaeve is blessed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the interaction between Nynaeve and Uno.
2. What do Nynaeve and Galad talk about?
3. How does Brigitte come out of Tel'Aran'Rhiod into the physical world?
4. How does Mat end up killing Couladin?
5. How is Rand received in Cairhien?
6. What does Uno offer Nynaeve and what is her response?
7. What does Min share with Elayne about Rand from one of Min's visions that involves Min and Elayne? What is Elayne's response?
8. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
9. What does Moiraine give Rand?
10. How does Mat end up fighting the Shaido?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Essay Topic 2
Elayne is one of the three women that Min saw in Rand's future, along with herself. The third will be the Aiel woman, Aviendha. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Jordan has Rand involved (eventually) with three women?
Does Rand's involvement with three women throughout the series add or subtract from the main story? Explain your reasoning.
Do you think it is believable that the three women are willing to share Rand's affections? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)