|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the letters addressed to that Moiraine hands to Rand?
2. What does Mat tell Lan?
3. From whom are Elayne and Nynaeve on the run?
4. What happens as the gateway closes?
5. What does Aviendha keep Rand from doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mat end up killing Couladin?
2. What does Valan Luca's group find when they camp on the border between Amadicia and Ghealdan?
3. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
4. What does Min share with Elayne about Rand from one of Min's visions that involves Min and Elayne? What is Elayne's response?
5. What does the Little Tower ask of Gareth Bryne and what is his response?
6. Who is Masema and why does Uno take Nynaeve to see him?
7. What do the nobles of Cairhien ask of Rand and what is Rand's response?
8. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
9. How does Mat help in the planning of the battle against the Shaido and what are Rand and Lan's reactions?
10. How is Rand received in Cairhien?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand Al'thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in the book?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)