|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Nicola?
2. What banner does Rand order raised over Cairhien?
3. At what are Rand and Aviendha unsuccessful?
4. What does Moiraine have to do quickly?
5. Why do Rand and Aviendha make their way back to the gateway?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elayne finally tell Thom and Juilin after she has bonded Brigitte?
2. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
3. What is the beginning of Mat's army (later to be called the Red Hand)?
4. How does Rand end up adding more to his list of women who have been killed around him or because of him?
5. What does Davram Bashere want and what is Rand's response?
6. What does Uno offer Nynaeve and what is her response?
7. Describe three of the refugees that make their way onto the boat with Elayne's group.
8. What do Nynaeve and Elayne tell the sisters in Salidar and what is their response?
9. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
10. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the Forsaken appear in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Discuss the following:
Who are the Forsaken and what is their role in the Wheel of Time series (You should be able to figure this out through what is said in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
Discuss the implications of Nynaeve being able to capture Moghedien and Rand having Asmodean to heel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Rand to Rahvin. Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Nynaeve to Elayne. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful? How do their magical talents compare?
3. Compare/contrast Siuan to Leane. How do they approach their stilling in different ways? Who is more likable? Who is the more sympathetic character? Or are either? Are they both good? Evil? Or a combination?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
This section contains 1,266 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)