|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who exclaims about Elayne's beauty?
2. What does Aviendha do?
3. What does Melindhra tell Mat as she is dying?
4. What does Nynaeve want to do?
5. How does Rand fail?
Essay Topic 1
There is a "coup" in the White Tower and Siuan is deposed and stilled as the Amyrlin Seat. Discuss the following:
Why is Siuan deposed?
What happens as a result of the cou
What do you think it says about Siuan and Leane's characters that they are willing to appear to the sisters in Salidar with no power and offer whatever assistance they can.
What does it mean to be stilled? How does it affect Siuan and Leanne?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 3
Rand becomes much more upset over the deaths of women than that of men, especially if he thinks he is in someway responsible. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rand's attitude towards women versus men. How are they similar/different? Is he less harsh towards women? Does he treat some women (such as Aes Sedai) differently than others?
2. When Rand hesitates to kill Lanfear, Moiraine has to intervene and is thus (probably) killed herself. Discuss and analyze this situation in light of Rand's attitude towards women and his thoughts about what happens in this scene.
3. Do you think Rand will change his attitude about killing women after what happens between Moirane and Lanfear? Why or why not?
4. Does Rand need to re-evaluate his attitude towards women? Why or why not?
This section contains 2,341 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)