|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aviendha create a doorway into an icy country?
2. What favor does Nynaeve ask of Masema?
3. What does Kadere do to silence Isendre?
4. What does Mat tell Lan?
5. What does Galad promise Nynaeve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Moiraine give Rand?
2. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
3. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
4. How does Brigitte come out of Tel'Aran'Rhiod into the physical world?
5. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
6. How does Mat end up killing Couladin?
7. How does Rand end up adding more to his list of women who have been killed around him or because of him?
8. What does Uno offer Nynaeve and what is her response?
9. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
10. What do the nobles of Cairhien ask of Rand and what is Rand's response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
3. Who do you think Rand trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)