|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uno offer Nynaeve?
2. Where is Couladin and a force of Shaido going?
3. What does Rand refute?
4. What does Min see in a vision about Rand?
5. What does Mat do as he is leaving Cairhien?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mat help in the planning of the battle against the Shaido and what are Rand and Lan's reactions?
2. What do Nynaeve and Elayne tell the sisters in Salidar and what is their response?
3. Why is Lanfear irate and what happens as a result?
4. How does Elayne demonstrate her compassion and potential as the next queen of Andor when they are leaving a boat out of Samara?
5. What does Elayne finally tell Thom and Juilin after she has bonded Brigitte?
6. What does the Little Tower ask of Gareth Bryne and what is his response?
7. What do the nobles of Cairhien ask of Rand and what is Rand's response?
8. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
9. Describe three of the refugees that make their way onto the boat with Elayne's group.
10. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rand becomes much more upset over the deaths of women than that of men, especially if he thinks he is in someway responsible. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rand's attitude towards women versus men. How are they similar/different? Is he less harsh towards women? Does he treat some women (such as Aes Sedai) differently than others?
2. When Rand hesitates to kill Lanfear, Moiraine has to intervene and is thus (probably) killed herself. Discuss and analyze this situation in light of Rand's attitude towards women and his thoughts about what happens in this scene.
3. Do you think Rand will change his attitude about killing women after what happens between Moirane and Lanfear? Why or why not?
4. Does Rand need to re-evaluate his attitude towards women? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Wise Ones of the Aiel are similar to Aes Sedai in that they are able to wield the one power. Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Wise Ones to Aes Sedai.
Would you rather join the ranks of the Wise Ones or Aes Sedai if you knew you could channel? Explain fully.
All Wise Ones are not good, nor are all Aes Sedai good. What are the increased dangers of those who can channel being darkfriends versus just normal human beings? Why do you think there are there more black Ajah than Wise Ones who have gone over to the Dark Lord?
This section contains 1,482 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)