|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Nynaeve search for Moghedien in the flesh?
2. How does Rand kill the Forsaken he is fighting?
3. What is the state of Cairhien when Rand arrives?
4. Where does Moiraine force Lanfear?
5. Who exclaims about Elayne's beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conversation and interaction between Hadnan Kadere and Isendre.
2. What does Uno offer Nynaeve and what is her response?
3. Describe the interaction between Nynaeve and Uno.
4. How does Mat help in the planning of the battle against the Shaido and what are Rand and Lan's reactions?
5. What does Elayne finally tell Thom and Juilin after she has bonded Brigitte?
6. What does Davram Bashere want and what is Rand's response?
7. What does the Little Tower ask of Gareth Bryne and what is his response?
8. Who is Masema and why does Uno take Nynaeve to see him?
9. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
10. What happens between Rand and Aviendha that creates toh for Aviendha to Elayne?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
Describe the political situation in The Fires of Heaven and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them.
Rand states over and over that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way?
How do Siuan and Lean decide to manipulate the other Aes Sedai even after the two woman have been toppled from power and no longer have the ability to channel? Do you think they would have attempted to manipulate other Aes Sedai if they had not been Aes Sedai at one time themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Rand Al'thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,422 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)