|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uno offer Nynaeve?
2. Who rides into Rand's camp when they are near Eianrod?
3. What happens as the gateway closes?
4. What message does Rand send to Cairhien?
5. What does Mat do as he is leaving Cairhien?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the nobles of Cairhien ask of Rand and what is Rand's response?
2. What does the Little Tower ask of Gareth Bryne and what is his response?
3. What does Valan Luca's group find when they camp on the border between Amadicia and Ghealdan?
4. Describe the interaction between Nynaeve and Uno.
5. How does Brigitte come out of Tel'Aran'Rhiod into the physical world?
6. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
7. How does Rand end up adding more to his list of women who have been killed around him or because of him?
8. How does Mat end up fighting the Shaido?
9. How is Rand received in Cairhien?
10. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in the book?
Essay Topic 2
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN belongs to the literary genre of fantasy fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read a fantasy novel? Is entertainment a good enough reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In "academe," fantasy novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes "snubbed" in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this "snobbery"?
Essay Topic 3
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
Describe the political situation in The Fires of Heaven and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them.
Rand states over and over that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way?
How do Siuan and Lean decide to manipulate the other Aes Sedai even after the two woman have been toppled from power and no longer have the ability to channel? Do you think they would have attempted to manipulate other Aes Sedai if they had not been Aes Sedai at one time themselves?
This section contains 1,366 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)