|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rand ask Asmodean could be possible?
2. Who passes judgment on Siuan, Leane and Min about the barn burning?
3. Why is Moghedien spying on Elayne and Egwene?
4. Why do Siuan and Leane appear as young women?
5. Why does Aviendha give Rand another gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
2. What does Queen Morgase realize and then what does she do about it?
3. Why are the Maidens of the Shield carrying dolls?
4. What do Siuan, Leane and the Aes Sedai discuss after they are satisfied they are speaking with Siuan and Leane?
5. Describe the situation about the gift exchange between Rand and Aviendha.
6. Where are Siuan, Leane and Min when Siuan gets an important message and what is the message?
7. Describe the attack from the Shadowspawn.
8. Where do Nynaeve and Elayne receive a message from the White Tower and what do they think about it?
9. Who does Elayne meet in the common room of the inn; what does he want and what does Elayne do?
10. Describe how Elayne, Nynave, Thom, and Juilin find a safe means to travel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
3. Who do you think Rand trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,496 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)