|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gift does Aviendha give Rand?
2. Where does Gareth Bryne arrive several days behind Siuan, Min, Leane and Logain?
3. What does Rand ask Asmodean could be possible?
4. Into what area do Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain ride?
5. What does Elaida say is the most important task to accomplish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elaida learn as she meets with her inner circle of advisers?
2. Where do Nynaeve and Elayne receive a message from the White Tower and what do they think about it?
3. What is the sickness that has overcome many of the Aiel?
4. Where are Siuan, Leane and Min when Siuan gets an important message and what is the message?
5. Describe the situation about the gift exchange between Rand and Aviendha.
6. What do the Wise Ones order Aviendha to do and what is her reaction?
7. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
8. What do Siuan, Leane and the Aes Sedai discuss after they are satisfied they are speaking with Siuan and Leane?
9. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
10. How does Egwene and Nynaeve obtain information about Elaida's actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)