|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is attacking Mat?
2. What is Nynaeve posing as?
3. Where does Elayne's brother want her to go?
4. What is Mat considering doing?
5. What is Bryne's sentence for the women?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin and Thom ride out of Tarabon?
2. Where do Nynaeve and Elayne receive a message from the White Tower and what do they think about it?
3. Why are the Maidens of the Shield carrying dolls?
4. What does Queen Morgase realize and then what does she do about it?
5. What do Siuan, Leane and the Aes Sedai discuss after they are satisfied they are speaking with Siuan and Leane?
6. What is the sickness that has overcome many of the Aiel?
7. Describe Aviendha.
8. What does the High Lady Alteima of Tear learn about Queen Morgase?
9. Describe the situation about the gift exchange between Rand and Aviendha.
10. Where do Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain arrive at and what happens when they encounter a group of Aes Sedai?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Several of the Forsaken appear in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Discuss the following:
Who are the Forsaken and what is their role in the Wheel of Time series (You should be able to figure this out through what is said in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
Discuss the implications of Nynaeve being able to capture Moghedien and Rand having Asmodean to heel.
Essay Topic 3
In THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
3. Who do you think Rand trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)