|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rand lead the Aiel?
2. What does Elaida say is the most important task to accomplish?
3. What does the apothecary owner give Nynaeve and Elayne?
4. What happens to Egwene in Tel'Aran'Rhoid after Elayne leaves?
5. Who protests the Wise One's command to Aviendha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
2. Describe Aviendha.
3. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
4. Describe the attack from the Shadowspawn.
5. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
6. Who attacks Aviendha and Rand and how do the Maidens of the Shield respond?
7. What does Aviendha give Rand and what is the history of the gift?
8. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
9. Who does Rand meet when he returns to his quarters and what does she want?
10. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the Forsaken appear in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Discuss the following:
Who are the Forsaken and what is their role in the Wheel of Time series (You should be able to figure this out through what is said in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
Discuss the implications of Nynaeve being able to capture Moghedien and Rand having Asmodean to heel.
Essay Topic 2
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
This section contains 1,335 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)