|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Moghedien spying on Elayne and Egwene?
2. What is Bryne's sentence for the women?
3. What does Rand recognize about Aviendha's gift?
4. What does Aviendha give Rand?
5. Who does Rand meet with in Rhuidean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
2. Describe how Elayne, Nynave, Thom, and Juilin find a safe means to travel.
3. What do Siuan, Leane and the Aes Sedai discuss after they are satisfied they are speaking with Siuan and Leane?
4. Describe the attack from the Shadowspawn.
5. What does the High Lady Alteima of Tear learn about Queen Morgase?
6. What happens when Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin and Thom ride out of Tarabon?
7. Where do Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain arrive at and what happens when they encounter a group of Aes Sedai?
8. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
9. What does Moiraine ask of Rand and why?
10. Who does Elayne meet in the common room of the inn; what does he want and what does Elayne do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 2
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN belongs to the literary genre of fantasy fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read a fantasy novel? Is entertainment a good enough reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In "academe," fantasy novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes "snubbed" in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this "snobbery"?
Essay Topic 3
In THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
3. Who do you think Rand trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
This section contains 1,463 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)