|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who protests the Wise One's command to Aviendha?
2. What do the Maidens of the Spear believe the gift means?
3. What does Rand feel the approach of as he is about to sleep?
4. How does Elayne impress Luca?
5. Why does Aviendha chase the servant from Rand's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
2. Who does Nynaeve meet in Tel'Aran'Rhoid and what does Nynaeve ask of this person?
3. What do the Wise Ones order Aviendha to do and what is her reaction?
4. Where do Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain arrive at and what happens when they encounter a group of Aes Sedai?
5. What does Elaida learn as she meets with her inner circle of advisers?
6. Describe Aviendha.
7. Who attacks Aviendha and Rand and how do the Maidens of the Shield respond?
8. Who does Elayne meet in the common room of the inn; what does he want and what does Elayne do?
9. What do Siuan, Leane and the Aes Sedai discuss after they are satisfied they are speaking with Siuan and Leane?
10. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Rand to Rahvin. Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Nynaeve to Elayne. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful? How do their magical talents compare?
3. Compare/contrast Siuan to Leane. How do they approach their stilling in different ways? Who is more likable? Who is the more sympathetic character? Or are either? Are they both good? Evil? Or a combination?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Rand becomes much more upset over the deaths of women than that of men, especially if he thinks he is in someway responsible. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rand's attitude towards women versus men. How are they similar/different? Is he less harsh towards women? Does he treat some women (such as Aes Sedai) differently than others?
2. When Rand hesitates to kill Lanfear, Moiraine has to intervene and is thus (probably) killed herself. Discuss and analyze this situation in light of Rand's attitude towards women and his thoughts about what happens in this scene.
3. Do you think Rand will change his attitude about killing women after what happens between Moirane and Lanfear? Why or why not?
4. Does Rand need to re-evaluate his attitude towards women? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)