|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mat have to do in order for Moiraine to heal him?
2. How does Rand destroy the darkhounds?
3. With whom does Elaida meet?
4. What has Egwene not succeeded at?
5. Who is the woman named Gyldin actually?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aviendha give Rand and what is the history of the gift?
2. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
3. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
4. Who does Rand meet when he returns to his quarters and what does she want?
5. What do Siuan, Leane and the Aes Sedai discuss after they are satisfied they are speaking with Siuan and Leane?
6. Where do Nynaeve and Elayne receive a message from the White Tower and what do they think about it?
7. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
8. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
9. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
10. Describe the situation about the gift exchange between Rand and Aviendha.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Compare/contrast Rand to Rahvin. Who seems more powerful? What are each goals? Are both either all good or all evil? Who is more likable? How do both use their political power?
2. Compare/contrast Nynaeve to Elayne. How are their goals similar and/or different? What is the difference in the way they interact with people? Who is more idealistic? Harsh? Powerful? How do their magical talents compare?
3. Compare/contrast Siuan to Leane. How do they approach their stilling in different ways? Who is more likable? Who is the more sympathetic character? Or are either? Are they both good? Evil? Or a combination?
Essay Topic 2
Jordan treats the world of dreams as an actual world where what happens there can impact people when not in the dream world; for example, if one is killed in the dream world, they are dead in "real life." Discuss one of the following:
Describe and analyze the interactions between Moghedien and Nynaeve/Elayne in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Describe and analyze Tel'Aran'Rhiod and how it impacts the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Why do you think Jordan includes the world of Tel'Aran'Rhiod in his Wheel of Time series?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)