|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Nynaeve meet in Tel'Aran'Rhoid before meeting with Egwene?
2. With what is Moghedien impressed?
3. What does Aviendha feel about the Maidens' assumption?
4. What do Padan Fain and Alviarin realize when they encounter each other in the White Tower?
5. Why do Siuan and Leane appear as young women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Rand meet when he returns to his quarters and what does she want?
2. Describe Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan.
3. Describe the attack from the Shadowspawn.
4. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
5. What happens that gets Suian, Leane, and Min in trouble?
6. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
7. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
8. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
9. What is the sickness that has overcome many of the Aiel?
10. What do Siuan, Leane and the Aes Sedai discuss after they are satisfied they are speaking with Siuan and Leane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Fires of Heaven based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Traveling in the Wheel of Time series evolves, a phenomenon that also helps the book's pacing. First, Rand and the others travel by foot and horse; then the "Ways" are introduced, which significantly cuts down on the time it takes to get from one point to another. In SHADOW RISING, Rand uses a portal stone for travel across vast distances; however, one must first walk to a portal stone, so the travel cannot be said to be instantaneous. Finally, in a later book, a technique called "Traveling" is introduced where a doorway is magically "sliced" into the air and one can instantly be where s/he wants to go. Discuss the following:
What is the advantage of having the characters travel by horse and foot across long distances requiring significant amounts of time? What are the disadvantages?
How is the plot affected when the ability to travel from point A to point B is drastically reduced? Give examples from the book.
How would one or two scenes in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN be affected if Rand or any other channeling individual could not instantly move from one place to another?
Essay Topic 3
Rand becomes much more upset over the deaths of women than that of men, especially if he thinks he is in someway responsible. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rand's attitude towards women versus men. How are they similar/different? Is he less harsh towards women? Does he treat some women (such as Aes Sedai) differently than others?
2. When Rand hesitates to kill Lanfear, Moiraine has to intervene and is thus (probably) killed herself. Discuss and analyze this situation in light of Rand's attitude towards women and his thoughts about what happens in this scene.
3. Do you think Rand will change his attitude about killing women after what happens between Moirane and Lanfear? Why or why not?
4. Does Rand need to re-evaluate his attitude towards women? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)