|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rand meet with in Rhuidean?
2. What does Aviendha feel about the Maidens' assumption?
3. Who is Valan Luca?
4. What town on the Jangai Pass is ravaged?
5. How does Elayne impress Luca?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
2. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
3. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
4. What does the Little Tower ask of Gareth Bryne and what is his response?
5. What does Uno offer Nynaeve and what is her response?
6. Why are the Maidens of the Shield carrying dolls?
7. What do the Wise Ones order Aviendha to do and what is her reaction?
8. What is the beginning of Mat's army (later to be called the Red Hand)?
9. What do Nynaeve and Galad talk about?
10. What does Moiraine give Rand?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 3
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
This section contains 2,971 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)