Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nynaeve posing as?
2. What town do Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin, and Thom camp near that night?
3. What has descended over the Borderlands and the Blight?
4. With whom does Elaida meet?
5. Why do the Wise Ones command Aviendha to sleep in Rand's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
2. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
3. How is Rand received in Cairhien?
4. What do Nynaeve and Galad talk about?
5. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
6. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
7. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
8. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
9. Describe Rand and Aviendha's encounter with the Seanchan.
10. What does Moiraine ask of Rand and why?
Essay Topic 1
Elayne is one of the three women that Min saw in Rand's future, along with herself. The third will be the Aiel woman, Aviendha. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Jordan has Rand involved (eventually) with three women?
Does Rand's involvement with three women throughout the series add or subtract from the main story? Explain your reasoning.
Do you think it is believable that the three women are willing to share Rand's affections? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
Essay Topic 3
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
This section contains 1,202 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)