|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nynaeve posing as?
2. What town do Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin, and Thom camp near that night?
3. What has descended over the Borderlands and the Blight?
4. With whom does Elaida meet?
5. Why do the Wise Ones command Aviendha to sleep in Rand's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
2. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
3. How is Rand received in Cairhien?
4. What do Nynaeve and Galad talk about?
5. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
6. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
7. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
8. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
9. Describe Rand and Aviendha's encounter with the Seanchan.
10. What does Moiraine ask of Rand and why?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Rand Al'thor is in some ways a larger-than-life hero. Despite incredible odds, he usually comes out on top, in this book and in the others in the series. Discuss the following:
1. Does having a larger-than-life hero make that person less of a hero? In other words, which is more admirable--a hero who ultimately always "lands on his feet," or one who strives against impossible odds and doesn't succeed?
2. Does a character have to be successful in order to be a hero? Explain your answer.
3. Choose one other character besides Rand who you might call a hero/heroine and explain why you choose that person.
4. Does every work of fiction have to have a hero? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Fires of Heaven based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
This section contains 3,120 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)