Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nynaeve posing as?
2. What town do Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin, and Thom camp near that night?
3. What has descended over the Borderlands and the Blight?
4. With whom does Elaida meet?
5. Why do the Wise Ones command Aviendha to sleep in Rand's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
2. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
3. How is Rand received in Cairhien?
4. What do Nynaeve and Galad talk about?
5. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
6. How does Moghedien come to be Nynaeve's captive?
7. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
8. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
9. Describe Rand and Aviendha's encounter with the Seanchan.
10. What does Moiraine ask of Rand and why?
Essay Topic 1
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Rand becomes much more upset over the deaths of women than that of men, especially if he thinks he is in someway responsible. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast Rand's attitude towards women versus men. How are they similar/different? Is he less harsh towards women? Does he treat some women (such as Aes Sedai) differently than others?
2. When Rand hesitates to kill Lanfear, Moiraine has to intervene and is thus (probably) killed herself. Discuss and analyze this situation in light of Rand's attitude towards women and his thoughts about what happens in this scene.
3. Do you think Rand will change his attitude about killing women after what happens between Moirane and Lanfear? Why or why not?
4. Does Rand need to re-evaluate his attitude towards women? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Wise Ones of the Aiel are similar to Aes Sedai in that they are able to wield the one power. Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Wise Ones to Aes Sedai.
Would you rather join the ranks of the Wise Ones or Aes Sedai if you knew you could channel? Explain fully.
All Wise Ones are not good, nor are all Aes Sedai good. What are the increased dangers of those who can channel being darkfriends versus just normal human beings? Why do you think there are there more black Ajah than Wise Ones who have gone over to the Dark Lord?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)