|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rand go after sensing the approach?
2. Where is the circus traveling?
3. What happens to Egwene in Tel'Aran'Rhoid after Elayne leaves?
4. What does Morgase realize?
5. Why are there warders, Aes Sedai and tower servants where Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain ride into?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Egwene and Nynaeve obtain information about Elaida's actions?
2. What happens in Tel'Aran'Rhoid after Elayne leaves and who observes Egwene?
3. Who does Elayne meet in the common room of the inn; what does he want and what does Elayne do?
4. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
5. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
6. Who does Rand meet when he returns to his quarters and what does she want?
7. What happens that gets Suian, Leane, and Min in trouble?
8. Describe the attack from the Shadowspawn.
9. What happens when Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin and Thom ride out of Tarabon?
10. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Elayne is one of the three women that Min saw in Rand's future, along with herself. The third will be the Aiel woman, Aviendha. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Jordan has Rand involved (eventually) with three women?
Does Rand's involvement with three women throughout the series add or subtract from the main story? Explain your reasoning.
Do you think it is believable that the three women are willing to share Rand's affections? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)