|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Elayne talking with in Tel'Aran'Rhoid?
2. Who passes judgment on Siuan, Leane and Min about the barn burning?
3. Why does Elayne say she needs to sneak out of town?
4. Who approaches Elayne in the inn where she is?
5. What does Gyldin tell Liandrin and four other black ajah to find?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aviendha.
2. Where do Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain arrive at and what happens when they encounter a group of Aes Sedai?
3. Why are the Maidens of the Shield carrying dolls?
4. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
5. What happens in Tel'Aran'Rhoid after Elayne leaves and who observes Egwene?
6. Describe the meeting between some of the Black Ajah and Moghedien.
7. Describe how Elayne, Nynave, Thom, and Juilin find a safe means to travel.
8. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
9. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
10. What does Moiraine ask of Rand and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elayne is one of the three women that Min saw in Rand's future, along with herself. The third will be the Aiel woman, Aviendha. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Jordan has Rand involved (eventually) with three women?
Does Rand's involvement with three women throughout the series add or subtract from the main story? Explain your reasoning.
Do you think it is believable that the three women are willing to share Rand's affections? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
This section contains 1,237 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)