|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom do Egwene, Aviendha, and Moiraine meet?
2. Why are there warders, Aes Sedai and tower servants where Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain ride into?
3. Into where does Nynaeve dream herself?
4. Who has bewitched Queen Morgase?
5. How many forsaken has Rand killed or captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Elayne, Nynave, Thom, and Juilin find a safe means to travel.
2. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
3. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
4. What happens in Tel'Aran'Rhoid after Elayne leaves and who observes Egwene?
5. What does Elaida learn as she meets with her inner circle of advisers?
6. Describe the attack from the Shadowspawn.
7. What do the Wise Ones order Aviendha to do and what is her reaction?
8. How does Egwene and Nynaeve obtain information about Elaida's actions?
9. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
10. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 3
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN belongs to the literary genre of fantasy fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly define the term genre and offer examples of it from your own reading experience. Why do you think it is useful to categorize fiction into genres? What could be a disadvantage of doing so?
2. What do you think is the main motivation for a person to read a fantasy novel? Is entertainment a good enough reason? Are there any other reasons to read this genre? What? Explain fully.
3. In "academe," fantasy novels are often thought of as less literary than some other genres and for that reason are sometimes "snubbed" in the study of literature. Why do you think this is so? Do you agree with this "snobbery"?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)