|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Elayne in the inn where she is?
2. What does Elayne believe about the apothecary owner?
3. Where do Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin, and Thom ride?
4. Where is the circus traveling?
5. What do Padan Fain and Alviarin realize when they encounter each other in the White Tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aviendha.
2. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
3. Who does Elayne meet in the common room of the inn; what does he want and what does Elayne do?
4. What does Elaida learn as she meets with her inner circle of advisers?
5. Who does Rand meet when he returns to his quarters and what does she want?
6. Where do Nynaeve and Elayne receive a message from the White Tower and what do they think about it?
7. What does the High Lady Alteima of Tear learn about Queen Morgase?
8. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
9. What does Moiraine ask of Rand and why?
10. Describe Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
Describe the political situation in The Fires of Heaven and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them.
Rand states over and over that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way?
How do Siuan and Lean decide to manipulate the other Aes Sedai even after the two woman have been toppled from power and no longer have the ability to channel? Do you think they would have attempted to manipulate other Aes Sedai if they had not been Aes Sedai at one time themselves?
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 3
Jordan treats the world of dreams as an actual world where what happens there can impact people when not in the dream world; for example, if one is killed in the dream world, they are dead in "real life." Discuss one of the following:
Describe and analyze the interactions between Moghedien and Nynaeve/Elayne in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Describe and analyze Tel'Aran'Rhiod and how it impacts the plot in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Why do you think Jordan includes the world of Tel'Aran'Rhiod in his Wheel of Time series?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)