|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bryne's sentence for the women?
2. What does Gyldin tell Liandrin and four other black ajah to find?
3. Why does Aviendha give Rand another gift?
4. Why do the Aiel call a former Cairhienin king "Treekiller"?
5. What are Juilin and Thom posing as?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the nobles of Cairhien ask of Rand and what is Rand's response?
2. How does Rand end up adding more to his list of women who have been killed around him or because of him?
3. How does Egwene and Nynaeve obtain information about Elaida's actions?
4. What does Moiraine give Rand?
5. How does Nynaeve learn that Uno is still alive and in the same town as they are?
6. What does Valan Luca's group find when they camp on the border between Amadicia and Ghealdan?
7. What does Min share with Elayne about Rand from one of Min's visions that involves Min and Elayne? What is Elayne's response?
8. Describe the attack from the Shadowspawn.
9. How does Brigitte come to be Elayne's warder?
10. What does Elaida learn as she meets with her inner circle of advisers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in the book?
Essay Topic 2
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
This section contains 3,064 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)