|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rand lead the Aiel?
2. Who does Rand meet with in Rhuidean?
3. What are Juilin and Thom posing as?
4. Who does Nynaeve meet in Tel'Aran'Rhoid before meeting with Egwene?
5. What do the Maidens of the Spear believe the gift means?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Nynaeve and Elayne receive a message from the White Tower and what do they think about it?
2. What do the readers learn about the forsaken in the Prologue?
3. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
4. How does Egwene and Nynaeve obtain information about Elaida's actions?
5. Who does Nynaeve meet in Tel'Aran'Rhoid and what does Nynaeve ask of this person?
6. What does Aviendha give Rand and what is the history of the gift?
7. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
8. What do Siuan, Leane and the Aes Sedai discuss after they are satisfied they are speaking with Siuan and Leane?
9. What happens in Tel'Aran'Rhoid after Elayne leaves and who observes Egwene?
10. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Though it is not a part of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, the readers are given enough information to learn that Rand A'Thor was, up until a short time ago, a shepherd in a small village in Two Rivers. Discuss the following:
How do you think Rand has changed from who he was before Moiraine comes to his village to the Rand he is in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN?
Why do you think Jordan chooses a young, unknown man to be the hero of the series?
How would the book have been different if Rand had been a prince?
How would the book have been different if the Dragon Reborn had been a female?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols are an important part of the story of THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Some of the symbols carry over from other books in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. One of the most important symbols of the entire Wheel of Time series is that of the Dragon. Discuss and analyze using specific examples the symbol of the dragon.
2. One of the characters, Min Farseer, sees symbols circling the heads of many of the characters. Discuss the symbols Min sees circling the heads of three of the characters.
3. There are a number of symbols associated with the presence of good and evil. Discuss these and their meanings.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)