|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into where does Nynaeve dream herself?
2. With what is Moghedien impressed?
3. Why do Siuan and Leane appear as young women?
4. What does Rand give Aviendha as a thank you gift?
5. Who does Nynaeve meet in Tel'Aran'Rhoid before meeting with Egwene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that gets Suian, Leane, and Min in trouble?
2. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
3. Who does Elayne meet in the common room of the inn; what does he want and what does Elayne do?
4. Describe Aviendha.
5. What does Gareth Bryne learn when he arrives in Lugard and what does he decide to do?
6. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
7. What happens when Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin and Thom ride out of Tarabon?
8. How does Egwene and Nynaeve obtain information about Elaida's actions?
9. Who does Rand meet when he returns to his quarters and what does she want?
10. Describe the meeting between some of the Black Ajah and Moghedien.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the Forsaken appear in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Discuss the following:
Who are the Forsaken and what is their role in the Wheel of Time series (You should be able to figure this out through what is said in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
Compare/contrast the Forsaken with those in power that are supposedly on the "good" side--such as the Aes Sedai, the Whitecloaks and some Aiel.
Discuss the implications of Nynaeve being able to capture Moghedien and Rand having Asmodean to heel.
Essay Topic 2
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 3
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,304 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)