|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Juilin and Thom posing as?
2. Why does Egwene upbraid Nynaeve?
3. What does Aviendha feel about the Maidens' assumption?
4. What does Rand give Aviendha as a thank you gift?
5. Why are Lean and Siuan not recognized by leaders of the Aes Sedai faction that split from the Tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uno offer Nynaeve and what is her response?
2. What is the beginning of Mat's army (later to be called the Red Hand)?
3. What do the Wise Ones order Aviendha to do and what is her reaction?
4. What is the sickness that has overcome many of the Aiel?
5. What happens that gets Suian, Leane, and Min in trouble?
6. Describe the situation about the gift exchange between Rand and Aviendha.
7. What does Aviendha give Rand and what is the history of the gift?
8. Who attacks Aviendha and Rand and how do the Maidens of the Shield respond?
9. Describe Rand and Aviendha's encounter with the Seanchan.
10. Why is Lanfear irate and what happens as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
Describe the political situation in The Fires of Heaven and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them.
Rand states over and over that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way?
How do Siuan and Lean decide to manipulate the other Aes Sedai even after the two woman have been toppled from power and no longer have the ability to channel? Do you think they would have attempted to manipulate other Aes Sedai if they had not been Aes Sedai at one time themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Wise Ones of the Aiel are similar to Aes Sedai in that they are able to wield the one power. Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Wise Ones to Aes Sedai.
Would you rather join the ranks of the Wise Ones or Aes Sedai if you knew you could channel? Explain fully.
All Wise Ones are not good, nor are all Aes Sedai good. What are the increased dangers of those who can channel being darkfriends versus just normal human beings? Why do you think there are there more black Ajah than Wise Ones who have gone over to the Dark Lord?
This section contains 3,239 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)