|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Elaida ordered arrested and brought to the White Tower for treason?
2. What do the Maidens of the Spear believe the gift means?
3. Who is deposed in Tanchico?
4. What is Mat considering doing?
5. What is the person wearing that approaches Elayne in the inn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Queen Morgase realize and then what does she do about it?
2. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
3. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
4. What do the Wise Ones order Aviendha to do and what is her reaction?
5. What is the sickness that has overcome many of the Aiel?
6. Describe the situation about the gift exchange between Rand and Aviendha.
7. Describe Aviendha.
8. How does Egwene and Nynaeve obtain information about Elaida's actions?
9. What happens when Nynaeve, Elayne, Juilin and Thom ride out of Tarabon?
10. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in the book?
Essay Topic 3
THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is one book in a series of novels involving the Dragon Reborn. Discuss the following.
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,347 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)