|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mat have to do in order for Moiraine to heal him?
2. What has happened in Two Rivers that concerns Tallanvor?
3. What do the Maidens of the Spear believe the gift means?
4. What happens to Egwene in Tel'Aran'Rhoid after Elayne leaves?
5. What do Padan Fain and Alviarin realize when they encounter each other in the White Tower?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Queen Morgase realize and then what does she do about it?
2. Where do Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain arrive at and what happens when they encounter a group of Aes Sedai?
3. What happens to Nynaeve and Elayne and why?
4. What is the sickness that has overcome many of the Aiel?
5. What do the Shaido do in Taien and how do they violate ji'e'toh?
6. Describe the meeting between some of the Black Ajah and Moghedien.
7. Describe the situation about the gift exchange between Rand and Aviendha.
8. Who does Nynaeve meet in Tel'Aran'Rhoid and what does Nynaeve ask of this person?
9. Who attacks Aviendha and Rand and how do the Maidens of the Shield respond?
10. Where are Siuan, Leane and Min when Siuan gets an important message and what is the message?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss The Fires of Heaven based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the fact that THE FIRES OF HEAVEN is a novel in a series changes the criteria upon which its success should be judged? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The concept of honor is important to many of the cultures and characters in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. One people, the Aiel, have a very complicated system based on honor, the violation of which entails "toh." Discuss the following:
Describe the Aiel system of honor and the concept of ji'e'toh.
Besides the Aiel, who else in Shadow Rising values his/her honor? Why? Give examples.
Why do you think honor is such an important concept in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN? The Whitecloaks often violate their honor when they should value it greatly. How do they violate the concept of honor? Give examples and discuss fully.
Essay Topic 3
Politics and manipulation influence much of what happens in THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, including some of Rand's choices in response to others attempting to manipulate him. Discuss one of the following:
Describe the political situation in The Fires of Heaven and how it impacts the actions of three of the major characters.
Discuss and analyze several people who try to manipulate Rand and his responses to them.
Rand states over and over that he is only trying to fulfill his role as the Dragon Reborn and is not interested in politics. Do you think this is true or not? Discuss fully with examples. Include a discussion of how Rand could use manipulation/politics to smooth his way?
How do Siuan and Lean decide to manipulate the other Aes Sedai even after the two woman have been toppled from power and no longer have the ability to channel? Do you think they would have attempted to manipulate other Aes Sedai if they had not been Aes Sedai at one time themselves?
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)