|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aviendha chase the servant from Rand's room?
2. Where does Gareth Bryne arrive several days behind Siuan, Min, Leane and Logain?
3. How does Elayne impress Luca?
4. How do the Aes Sedai leaders ascertain that Siuan and Leane are who they say they are?
5. How many forsaken has Rand killed or captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disguises have Elayne, Nynaeve, Juilin and Thom adopted and who does it seem to fool?
2. What happens that gets Suian, Leane, and Min in trouble?
3. How does Egwene and Nynaeve obtain information about Elaida's actions?
4. Describe the attack from the Shadowspawn.
5. What does Elaida learn as she meets with her inner circle of advisers?
6. Where do Siuan, Leane, Min and Logain arrive at and what happens when they encounter a group of Aes Sedai?
7. Who does Egwene see Elayne talking with and why can't Elayne tell Egwene the person's name?
8. Where do Nynaeve and Elayne receive a message from the White Tower and what do they think about it?
9. Who does Rand meet when he returns to his quarters and what does she want?
10. Describe the meeting between some of the Black Ajah and Moghedien.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In THE FIRES OF HEAVEN, there seems to be more individuals/groups who are not trustworthy than are: Discuss one of the following:
1. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are untrustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
2. Name two groups/factions/individuals who are trustworthy and analyze their actions and impact upon the plot throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN.
3. Who do you think Rand trusts in this book and is his trust well founded? Who does he mistrust and why? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
The word "ta'veren" is used frequently in The Fires of Heaven and in all the other books in Jordan's Wheel of Time series. Discuss the following:
Explain the concept of ta'veren and give examples of it to illustrate your explanation.
Do you think Jordan uses instances of ta'veren as a narrative contrivance? Why or why not. Give examples to support your stance.
How do you think the concept of ta'veren adds to the complexity of the novel? Explain using examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Trace and analyze the theme of power throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with power? Why? What are some symbols of power? Symbols of powerlessness? What characters seem powerless?
Trace and analyze the theme of magic throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are most concerned with magic? Why? What are some symbols of magic? How does the ability to channel give an automatic advantage to someone over another who cannot channel? Is there abuse of this ability?
Trace and analyze the theme of evil throughout THE FIRES OF HEAVEN. What characters are what you would call evil? Why? What are some symbols of evil? Symbols of good? Are more characters evil than good or vice versa? Do you think in general there is less evil than good in the book?
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)