|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose original literary work inspired the title of The Fire This Time?
(a) Langston Hughes.
(b) Phyllis Wheatley.
(c) James Baldwin.
(d) Ralph Ellison.
2. Jesmyn Ward's father is 51% Native American and is registered as a member of what tribe?
3. What was the name of Phillis Wheatley's husband, who is being defended in the essay "'The Dear Pledges of Our Love'": A Defense of Phillis Wheatley's Husband"?
(a) James Jackson.
(b) Jacob Wheatley.
(c) John Wheatley.
(d) John Peters.
4. What is the name of the college that the author of "'The Dear Pledges of Our Love'": A Defense of Phillis Wheatley's Husband" attended within a rural Alabama town?
(a) Affinity College.
(b) Carlsbad College.
(c) Talladega College.
(d) Trinity College.
5. The author of "'The Dear Pledges of Our Love'": A Defense of Phillis Wheatley's Husband" states that most of the information about Phillis Wheatley comes from a book published how many years after the poet's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Phillis Wheatley, at least how many other slaves did her master own during his lifetime?
2. What is the main pastime depicted within the poem "The Tradition"?
3. At the end of her essay "Cracking the Code," Jesmyn Ward states that she imagines that a longing for what element had been a part of all of her ancestors' lives?
4. How many years apart does the author of "The Weight" say his grandfather's age and James Baldwin's age had been?
5. How many books of Phillis Wheatley's poetry were published during her lifetime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the examples the author of "Where Do We Go from Here" uses in order to prove that African-Americans are currently living through a second Nadir?
2. What are the three things Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah says are the only things she knows about being black in America?
3. How does Honoree Fanonne Jeffers's interpretation of "On Being Brought From Africa to America" differ from those of many scholars?
4. What unsettling comment does a senior editor make to Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah during the first week of her magazine internship?
5. What reasons does Jesmyn Ward provide for her claim that it is "impossible for most black Americans to construct full family trees" (91)?
6. In what condition does Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah find James Baldwin's former house in France when she arrives there?
7. How does the author of "Where Do We Go from Here" evoke feelings of hope in the reader at the end of her essay?
8. In what ways does the author of "The Dear Pledges of Our Love: A Defense of Phillis Wheatley's Husband" demonstrate how difficult it can be to extricate oneself from the biases present within the American culture's views of black people?
9. What are the elements of James Baldwin's life and character that Rachel Kaadzi Ghansah describes as being off-putting to her at one point in her life?
10. What connection does Carol Anderson make between the Great Recession and the plight of modern African-Americans?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)