|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II, Reckoning: "Queries of Unrest"; "Blacker Than Thou"; "Da Art of Storytellin' (a Prequel)".
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what city does the author of "The Weight" meet his friend in order to visit the house in which James Baldwin died?
2. When Kiese Laymon was busy analyzing the Outkast song "Wailin'," what was he supposed to be doing instead?
(a) Applying for jobs.
(b) Writing a paper about "The Cask of Amontillado."
(c) Applying to graduate schools.
(d) Baking a rhubarb pie for his grandmother.
3. In what social media platform did Jesmyn Ward find solace after Trayvon Martin's death?
4. How old was Trayvon Martin at the time he was killed?
5. Who was the author of Memoir and Poems of Phyllis Wheatley, a Native African and a Slave?
(a) Mary Margaret Johann.
(b) Margaretta Matilda Odell.
(c) Marie Ellen Magdalena.
(d) Jane Augusten Burroughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of her audiences does Kiese Laymon say his grandmother had considered to be the most important audience of her work?
2. What does the author of "'The Dear Pledges of Our Love'": A Defense of Phillis Wheatley's Husband" name as her own mother's voice type?
3. In his essay "Blacker Than Thou," Kevin Young says that "racism's daily injustices are almost" a what "against it" (112)?
4. The self-help book that the author of "Lonely in America" tries to live by within the essay says that "to become free of disappointment, one must acknowledge the obvious, then" (37) do what?
5. What emotion does Jesmyn Ward say is directed toward her by the majority of Americans and has become her dark twin?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)