|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states in "Down at the Cross" that the "principles governing the rites and customs of the churches in which I grew up did not differ from the principles governing the rites and customs of other chuches, white. The principles were Blindness, Lonelines, and" what?
2. The author states in the beginning of "Down at the Cross" that he believed that God and what were synonymous?
3. How old was the author when he describes an encounter where a policeman made a racial slur as he passed in Manhattan in "Down at the Cross"?
4. How does the author describe his feelings about "a separate black economy in America"?
5. What does the word "assuage" from "Down at the Cross" mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author perceive the expression of pain and suffering of blacks through Christianity?
2. What is the subject of the hymn that opens "Down at the Cross"? How does this quote tie in with the essay's themes?
3. How does the author compare his involvement in ministry with the thugs on the Avenue in "Down at the Cross"?
4. In the second section of "Down at the Cross," the author points out many reasons that American society is not healed in relation to race. How does he propose it might become healed?
5. How does the author describe the racial perspectives in the Nation of Islam's belief system?
6. What does the author remark about the Holocaust in "Down at the Cross"?
7. How does the author describe his religious faith to Elijah Muhammad in "Down at the Cross"?
8. What elements of foreshadowing can be seen in the first part of "Down at the Cross"?
9. How would you describe the tone in the second section of "Down at the Cross"? How has the author's perspective changed?
10. What causes the author irritation during his dinner at Elijah Muhammad's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Emancipation Proclamation and the author's references to it in "My Dungeon Shook." When was the Emancipation Proclamation enacted? Who enacted it? What did it guarantee? How does the author refer to it in his essay?
Essay Topic 2
When was the Nation of Islam founded? Who founded the church? What were the Nation Of Islam's mission and objectives at this time? How has the organization changed in the past 50 years?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's actions, objectives, and obstacles in writing to his nephew in "My Dungeon Shook." For what purpose is the author writing the letter? How does he go about making his points? Do you think that his letter achieves his objective?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)