|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In describing white liberal attitudes in "Down at the Cross," the author states that "they could deal with the Negro as a symbol or a victim but has no real sense of him as" what?
2. Who founded the Nation of Islam?
3. What color clothing does the author describe the women wearing at Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
4. The author asserts in "Down at the Cross" that "a civilization is not destroyed by wicked people; it is not necessary that people be wicked but only that they be" what?
5. Who is quoted as having said "It is better to marry than to burn" in "Down at the Cross"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What "truth" does the author describe finding through this experiences with Christianity?
2. What does the author describe discussing with his driver after leaving Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
3. What is noteworthy about the quotes that open "Down at the Cross"?
4. What does the author remark about the Holocaust in "Down at the Cross"?
5. How does the author compare his involvement in ministry with the thugs on the Avenue in "Down at the Cross"?
6. What is the subject of the hymn that opens "Down at the Cross"? How does this quote tie in with the essay's themes?
7. In the second section of "Down at the Cross," the author points out many reasons that American society is not healed in relation to race. How does he propose it might become healed?
8. How does the author describe the racial perspectives in the Nation of Islam's belief system?
9. How does the author describe his departure from Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
10. How would you describe the tone in the second section of "Down at the Cross"? How has the author's perspective changed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of identity in The Fire Next Time. How does the author illustrate this theme in "Down at the Cross"? How is the theme explored in "My Dungeon Shook"? What factors impact the white man and the black man's sense of identity?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of exploitation in "Down at the Cross." How does the author feel religions tend to exploit their followers? Does he believe this is true both in white society and in African American society? What are examples of the exploitation of the church?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the structure of "Down at the Cross." What is the thesis presented by the author in this essay? How does Baldwin go about proving his thesis? What is illustrated in the conclusion of the essay?
This section contains 1,114 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)