|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author asserts in "Down at the Cross" that "a civilization is not destroyed by wicked people; it is not necessary that people be wicked but only that they be" what?
2. The author states in "Down at the Cross" that the "principles governing the rites and customs of the churches in which I grew up did not differ from the principles governing the rites and customs of other chuches, white. The principles were Blindness, Lonelines, and" what?
3. How does the author respond when asked by the female pastor, "Whose little boy are you?"
4. Where does the author describe having dinner at Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
5. What word from "Down at the Cross" means impossible to stop or prevent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What hypocrisies in Christianity and the Nation of Islam does Baldwin point out in "Down at the Cross"?
2. What differences does the author point out between Christianity and Islam in the second section of "Down at the Cross"?
3. Who was Elijah Muhammad? What was his role within the Nation of Islam?
4. What does the author describe discussing with his driver after leaving Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
5. What does the author remark about the Holocaust in "Down at the Cross"?
6. How would you describe the central subject and structure of the first part of "Down at the Cross"?
7. What parallels does the author draw between Christianity and Islam in "Down at the Cross"?
8. How does the author describe his departure from Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
9. What elements of foreshadowing can be seen in the first part of "Down at the Cross"?
10. In the second section of "Down at the Cross," the author points out many reasons that American society is not healed in relation to race. How does he propose it might become healed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the parallels that the author draws between the Holocaust and the oppression of African Americans. How does the author indicate that World War II changed perceptions within the black community of white society? What did the fact of the Holocaust prove to the author?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's characterizations of his father and brother in "My Dungeon Shook." How does he compare and contrast these individuals? What does he describe as the failures and destruction of his father and brother? How does the author relate his father and brother to his nephew?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's actions, objectives, and obstacles in writing to his nephew in "My Dungeon Shook." For what purpose is the author writing the letter? How does he go about making his points? Do you think that his letter achieves his objective?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)