|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does the author describe watching learn to walk in "My Dungeon Shook"?
2. The author claims in his conclusion of "My Dungeon Shook" that "we can make America" what?
3. The author says in "My Dungeon Shook," that "if you've loved anybody that long, first as an infant, then as a child, then as a man, you gain a strange perspective on" what?
4. What word from "My Dungeon Shook" refers to the condition of being lower in status or quality than others?
5. How does the author describe himself as a baby in "My Dungeon Shook"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author rally his nephew in the conclusion of "My Dungeon Shook"?
2. What paradox does the author describe in "My Dungeon Shook"?
3. How does James Baldwin describe his father's defeat in "My Dungeon Shook"?
4. How is the title of the essay employed in "My Dungeon Shook"?
5. How does the author suggest his nephew perceive the "details and symbols of your life" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
6. How does the author describe his relationship with his brother in "My Dungeon Shook"?
7. How does the author describe the circumstances of white society and history in "My Dungeon Shook"?
8. What does the word "Negro" mean, and how is it applied in The Fire Next Time?
9. How does the author describe the temperament and attitudes of the letter recipient in "My Dungeon Shook"?
10. What does the author remark about love and survival in "My Dungeon Shook"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the parallels that the author draws between the Holocaust and the oppression of African Americans. How does the author indicate that World War II changed perceptions within the black community of white society? What did the fact of the Holocaust prove to the author?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Elijah Muhammad and his characterization in "Down at the Cross." When did Elijah Muhammad take over the leadership of the Nation Of Islam? How does the author describe his home and his experiences at dinner with Elijah Muhammad? How does the author compare Elijah Muhammad with his father?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences in approach toward equality by Martin Luther King, Jr. and Malcolm X and Elijah Muhammad. What are the differences in the ideologies of these individuals? How did they propose change? Whose methods were more effective in your opinion? Why?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)