|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the Nation of Islam founded?
(a) July 4, 1936.
(b) July 4, 1961.
(c) July 4, 1940.
(d) July 4, 1930.
2. What kind of athletic career does the author describe pursuing but not succeeding at in "Down at the Cross"?
3. How old was the author when two police officers amused themselves with frisking him, according to the story in "Down at the Cross"?
4. About how old does the author describe the female pastor as being when he met her in "Down at the Cross"?
5. In what periodical was "Down at the Cross" first published?
(b) Reader's Digest.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) Publisher's Weekly.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states in "Down at the Cross" that what "and heroism have been made synonymous except when it comes to blacks"?
2. The author states in the beginning of "Down at the Cross" that he believed that God and what were synonymous?
3. In describing white liberal attitudes in "Down at the Cross," the author states that "they could deal with the Negro as a symbol or a victim but has no real sense of him as" what?
4. How old was the author when he describes an encounter where a policeman made a racial slur as he passed in Manhattan in "Down at the Cross"?
5. For how long did the author remain on the pulpit as a Young Minister?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of foreshadowing can be seen in the first part of "Down at the Cross"?
2. What causes the author irritation during his dinner at Elijah Muhammad's home?
3. What parallels does the author draw between his father and Elijah Muhammad in "Down at the Cross"?
4. What does the author describe discussing with his driver after leaving Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
5. What is the subject of the hymn that opens "Down at the Cross"? How does this quote tie in with the essay's themes?
6. How does the author describe his departure from Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
7. Who was Elijah Muhammad? What was his role within the Nation of Islam?
8. What hypocrisies in Christianity and the Nation of Islam does Baldwin point out in "Down at the Cross"?
9. How does the author perceive the expression of pain and suffering of blacks through Christianity?
10. What is noteworthy about the quotes that open "Down at the Cross"?
This section contains 1,027 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)