|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the letter recipient's father, the author says in "My Dungeon Shook," "Let him laugh and I see" what?
(a) "A cellar your father does not remember and a house he does not remember."
(b) "A grain silo sitting at the edge of the desert for no reason."
(c) "A long and dark tunnel into the fear that hides behind his soul."
(d) "A field of flowers and a vase of daisies."
2. What is the name of the letter recipient in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) David Baldwin.
(b) James Baldwin.
(c) George Baldwin.
(d) John Baldwin.
3. For what work is Homer most known?
(a) The Cave.
(b) The Poet's Destiny.
(c) Julius Caesar.
(d) The Odyssey.
4. What did the Emancipation Proclamation proclaim?
(a) The right for women to vote.
(b) The end of segregation.
(c) The right for blacks to vote.
(d) The freedom of slaves.
5. What word in "My Dungeon Shook" does the author define as meaning "that we, with love, shall force our brothers to see themselves as they are, to cease fleeing from reality and begin to change it"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was E. Franklin Frazier's book The Negro Family in the United States published?
2. The author claims in "My Dungeon Shook" that "the danger, in the minds of most white Americans, is" what?
3. What does the author describe his ancestors building in "My Dungeon Shook"?
4. When was E. Franklin Frazier elected as the first black president of the American Sociological Association?
5. The author writes in "My Dungeon Shook," "You were born where you were born, and faced the future that you faced because" of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Charles Dickens and why does the author cite him in "My Dungeon Shook"?
2. What does the author write about the words "acceptance" and "integration" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
3. How does the author describe aspirations toward excellence or mediocrity in "My Dungeon Shook"?
4. Who is E. Franklin Frazier and why does the author cite him in "My Dungeon Shook"?
5. How is the title of the essay employed in "My Dungeon Shook"?
6. What paradox does the author describe in "My Dungeon Shook"?
7. How does the author describe his mother in "My Dungeon Shook"?
8. What does the author remark about love and survival in "My Dungeon Shook"?
9. What does Baldwin claim to be "the root of my dispute with my country" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
10. Why does James Baldwin claim to have re-started his letter numerous times in "My Dungeon Shook"?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)