|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states in the beginning of "Down at the Cross" that he believed that God and what were synonymous?
2. When dd Elijah Muhammad die?
3. Where does the author describe the pimps and whores hanging out in Harlem in "Down at the Cross"?
(b) Broad St.
(d) The Avenue.
4. What author does the narrator describe beginning to read when he began losing his faith in "Down at the Cross"?
5. What does the author claim to be the seeming "sum of our achievement" as humans, in "Down at the Cross"?
(a) The power to kill nature.
(b) The power to enslave one another.
(c) The power to exterminate ourselves.
(d) The power to oppress one another.
6. What does the author say "catches up with kingdoms and crushes them" in "Down at the Cross"?
7. About how old does the author describe the female pastor as being when he met her in "Down at the Cross"?
8. For how long did the author remain on the pulpit as a Young Minister?
(a) About 2 years.
(b) Less than a year.
(c) Over 3 years.
(d) Less than 6 months.
9. The author writes in "Down at the Cross" that "the social treatment accorded even the most successful Negroes proved that one needed, in order to be free, something more than a bank account. One needed" what?
(a) "A backdoor into white society."
(b) "A handle, a lever, a means of inspiring fear."
(d) "A mechanism to provoke change in the hearts of men."
10. What kind of athletic career does the author describe pursuing but not succeeding at in "Down at the Cross"?
11. What does the word "assuage" from "Down at the Cross" mean?
(a) To placate.
(b) To deter.
(c) To reassure.
(d) To satisfy.
12. The author writes in "Down at the Cross," "From my own point of view, the fact of the Third Reich alone makes obsolete forever any question of" what?
(a) "White superiority."
(c) "Black superiority."
(d) "Christian superiority."
13. In describing white liberal attitudes in "Down at the Cross," the author states that "they could deal with the Negro as a symbol or a victim but has no real sense of him as" what?
(a) "A master."
(b) "A political power."
(c) "An intellect."
(d) "A man."
14. What color clothing does the author describe the women wearing at Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
15. What word used by the author in "Down at the Cross" means relentless or unstoppable?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the author when he describes an encounter where a policeman made a racial slur as he passed in Manhattan in "Down at the Cross"?
2. How old was the author when two police officers amused themselves with frisking him, according to the story in "Down at the Cross"?
3. Where does the author claim he was when a bartender refused to serve him and some friends in "Down at the Cross"?
4. After the confrontation at the bar, the author says that one of his companions, a Korean War veteran, said that the bar had been the white man's fight too. How did the white man respond?
5. The author claims that we owe the ministry of Elijah Muhammad to the fact that he witnessed what when he was five or six years old?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)