|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is a word that is used to describe Elijah Muhammad?
2. Where is the author's destination at the conclusion of the dinner party?
(a) A meeting with white friends.
(b) A political meeting.
(c) A church service.
(d) A card game.
3. "Down at the Cross" is split into how many sections?
4. Section one of the book makes the suggestion that the Emancipation is actually _________.
(a) In the right direction.
(d) Paper only.
5. "Take up the white man's burden" is a quotation from?
(a) A poem by Tolstoy.
(b) Lyrics from a slave hymn.
(c) A poem by a black poet.
(d) A poem by Kipling.
6. The author believes that __________ views are hindering social progression as a whole.
7. What is the author desperate to become, as stated in the second section of the book?
(a) A better man than his father.
(b) A government official.
(c) A good person.
(d) A strong religious leader.
8. According to the author, what does Christianity lose?
(c) Moral authority.
(d) Its way.
9. The essays in the first section of the book examine _______.
(a) The Civil Rights Act of the 1960s.
(c) The "Negro" problem.
10. Which family member does the author describe as a positive, universal image?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) Elijah Muhammad.
11. What can compassion be used to combat?
(a) Religious oppression.
(d) Racial oppression.
12. In what city do most of the author's childhood and teen years take place?
(d) New York City.
13. What are the author's views on Christian tolerance and compassion?
(a) They have helped him find peace.
(b) They are true.
(c) They serve him well.
(d) They are false.
14. The Anniversary of the Emancipation is referring to what?
(a) The Civil Rights Act in the 1960s.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation of 1865.
(c) Freedom of religion.
(d) The Civil War.
15. According to the Nation of Islam, black people are ________'s creation.
(b) Jesus Christ.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author examines _________ from both a personal and black cultural perspective.
2. What does the quotation by Kipling delineate?
3. What are the author's immediate feelings upon entering the Christian church?
4. What are two words that are used to describe Elijah Muhammad's car?
5. The letter in section one, is in part a warning concerning _______.
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)