|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Nation of Islam, black people are ________'s creation.
(c) Jesus Christ.
2. What is one parallel that is drawn between Christian leaders and leaders of the Nation of Islam?
(d) Great wealth.
3. In section two, part one, a parallel is drawn between the author's relationship to Jesus Christ and _________.
(a) The notion of fear and hate.
(b) An addition to drugs and sex.
(c) The author's relationship with his father.
(d) Self discovery.
4. Finish the quotation. "My dungeon shook and my __________________."
(a) Heart grows weary.
(b) Mind opens up.
(c) Soul is free.
(d) Chains fall off.
5. The letter in section one, is in part a warning concerning _______.
(a) The Apocalypse.
(b) White America.
(c) The Revelation.
6. According to the author, guilt over being black is mandated by _________.
(a) Socio-cultural constructs.
(b) White Americans.
(d) The Christian chuch.
7. Section one of the book makes the suggestion that the Emancipation is actually _________.
(a) Paper only.
(c) In the right direction.
8. According to the author, compassion, love and faith spring from what?
(a) A peace with the world.
(c) Deep knowledge and understanding.
(d) The active human spirit.
9. Which of the following is not a gain on the exploitation conceived by Christian preachers and Elijah Muhammad?
10. There is a visible parallel between Elijah Muhammad and _______.
(a) Jesus Christ.
(c) Baldwin's father.
(d) Balwin's nephew.
11. In which city does the dinner party take place?
(d) New York City.
12. In section two, part one, the author comments on the loss on the full experience of what?
13. According to the author, what does Christianity lose?
(a) Moral authority.
(c) Its way.
14. Which word best describes the tone of section two, part two?
15. Which of the following types of oppression does the author attempt to escape from?
(a) All of the above.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author claims that religion serves to aid him in ___________.
2. By whom is the driver employed?
3. According to the church, being "saved" refers to a release from ______.
4. What literary genre best describes this book?
5. Elijah Muhammad tells the author that he is driven home in order to protect him from ___________.
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)