|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author describe the letter recipient as a baby in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) He was a mean baby.
(b) He was a big baby.
(c) He was a small baby.
(d) He was an emaciated baby.
2. The author says in "My Dungeon Shook," that "if you've loved anybody that long, first as an infant, then as a child, then as a man, you gain a strange perspective on" what?
(a) "Time and human pain and effort."
(b) "That there is fear everywhere."
(c) "A sense of love, peace, and justice."
(d) "Family and the meaning of life."
3. What must one become "concerning destruction and death," according to the author in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) "Peaceful and analytical."
(b) "Logical and honest."
(c) "Bold and incisive."
(d) "Tough and philosophical."
4. The author writes in "My Dungeon Shook," "The details and symbols of your life have been deliberately constructed to make you believe" what?
(a) "That you are destined for greatness."
(b) "That your life is fluid."
(c) "What white people say about you."
(d) "That you are attainable."
5. Charles Dickens is regarded as the greatest novelist of what era?
(a) The modernist era.
(b) The Edwardian era.
(c) The Victorian era.
(d) The Renaissance.
6. The author claims in "My Dungeon Shook," "Any upheaval in the universe is terrifying because it so profoundly attacks one’s sense of" what?
(a) "Health and love."
(b) "One's own reality."
(c) "The meaning of life."
7. How does the author describe himself as a baby in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) He was an angry baby.
(b) He was a small baby.
(c) He was a big baby.
(d) He was a temperamental baby.
8. Whom does the author claim "no one has ever accused her of being bitter" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) His sister.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
9. About how many years ago does the author describe the letter recipient being born in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) 20 years ago.
(b) 14 years ago.
(c) 16 years ago.
(d) 10 years ago.
10. When was E. Franklin Frazier born?
11. What does the author refer to as "the crime of which I accuse my country" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) "They have isolated themselves and taken strides to keep themselves as such."
(b) "They refuse to accept the truth of the black man's superiority."
(c) "They have destroyed and are destroying hundreds of thousands of lives."
(d) "They have turned their backs on the people they needed the most."
12. The author claims of white people in "My Dungeon Shook," "They are, in effect, still trapped in a history which" what?
(a) "They created themselves."
(b) "They cannot escape."
(c) "They never wanted."
(d) "They do not understand."
13. What word in "My Dungeon Shook" does the author define as meaning "that we, with love, shall force our brothers to see themselves as they are, to cease fleeing from reality and begin to change it"?
14. What does the word "impertinent" mean in the context of "My Dungeon Shook"?
(b) Uncomfortable or wary.
(c) Disrespectful or rude.
15. After whom was the letter recipient named in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) After his father.
(b) After the author.
(c) After his godfather.
(d) After his grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author say can be heard in the letter recipient's father's "laughter and in his speech and in his songs" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
2. Where did Charles Dickens live?
3. When did E. Franklin Frazier help draft the UNESCO statement entitled The Race Question?
4. What word from "My Dungeon Shook" refers to extremely cruel and brutal behavior?
5. Where did Homer live?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)