Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author tells his nephew that white Americans keep him from discovering __________.
(c) His individual self.
(d) His background.
2. Which character does the author become increasingly irritated with a "Down at the Cross" progresses?
(a) Elijah Muhammad.
(b) His nephew.
(d) The driver.
3. Finish the quotation. "My dungeon shook and my __________________."
(a) Mind opens up.
(b) Soul is free.
(c) Chains fall off.
(d) Heart grows weary.
4. To whom is the letter addressed in the first section?
(a) The the author's grandchildren.
(b) The author's father.
(c) To all black men.
(d) The author's nephew.
5. The author states that, when confronted with black people, white people react in a response to which emotion?
6. The author believes that African Americans face powerful restrictions on their own self development as a result of ______.
(c) Socio-economical standing.
7. Where does the author claim to first see members of the Nation of Islam preaching?
(a) Outside his home.
(b) In college.
(c) On the street.
(d) Outside his church.
8. What group of people does the author's father represent?
(a) The men who follow the Nation of Islam.
(b) Old white men.
(c) Young, black men.
(d) Older, black men.
9. Who does the author encounter during his first visit to the Christian church?
(a) An elderly black man.
(b) A woman pastor.
(c) Another African American boy.
(d) An old priest.
10. What nationality is the driver of the car in the second section?
(b) African American.
(c) Native American.
11. The Anniversary of the Emancipation is referring to what?
(a) The Civil Rights Act in the 1960s.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation of 1865.
(c) Freedom of religion.
(d) The Civil War.
12. How many essays does the book consist of?
13. In the letter, the author states that his brother becomes ________.
14. Throughout section two, part one, the author establishes a sense of blame as he points the finger toward others. Which of is not included in that accusation?
(a) His father.
(b) Social confinements.
(c) His mother.
15. The author describes resemblances in himself, his nephew, and others. Which of the following does not fit into that category?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, compassion, love and faith spring from what?
2. Whom does the author describe as his addiction during the novel?
3. What literary genre best describes this book?
4. Which of the following is not a gain on the exploitation conceived by Christian preachers and Elijah Muhammad?
5. What does the author claim male guests at the dinner party do?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)