|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Anniversary of the Emancipation is referring to what?
(a) The Civil Rights Act in the 1960s.
(b) The Emancipation Proclamation of 1865.
(c) Freedom of religion.
(d) The Civil War.
2. Finish the quotation. "We cannot be free until they __________."
(a) Are accepting.
(d) Are free.
3. To whom is the letter addressed in the first section?
(a) The author's father.
(b) The the author's grandchildren.
(c) The author's nephew.
(d) To all black men.
4. There is a visible parallel between Elijah Muhammad and _______.
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) Balwin's nephew.
(c) Baldwin's father.
5. The author tells his nephew that white Americans keep him from discovering __________.
(a) His background.
(c) His individual self.
6. Which of the following is a word that is used to describe Elijah Muhammad?
7. The author believes that __________ views are hindering social progression as a whole.
8. The letter in section one begins with _______.
(a) A grand sense of self.
(b) A sense of defeat.
(c) Anger and hateful feelings.
(d) Loving and passionate feelings.
9. What do both Christianity and the Nation of Islam exploit from the author's perspective?
(c) The blackness of their followers.
10. The author compares the experiences of African Americans to that of ______.
(a) Jewish people during the Holocaust.
(b) Mongolia's subjucation to China.
(c) The Native Americans.
(d) The people in the Philippines during the 1950s.
11. How many essays does the book consist of?
12. In the beginning, what does the author's early religious experiences lead him to become?
(a) An atheist.
(b) A devout follower.
(c) A teenage preacher.
(d) A follower of Islam.
13. What nationality is the driver of the car in the second section?
(c) African American.
(d) Native American.
14. In section two, part one, a parallel is drawn between the author's relationship to Jesus Christ and _________.
(a) The author's relationship with his father.
(b) An addition to drugs and sex.
(c) The notion of fear and hate.
(d) Self discovery.
15. Which word best describes the tone of section two, part two?
Short Answer Questions
1. What can compassion be used to combat?
2. Section one of the book makes the suggestion that the Emancipation is actually _________.
3. What is said about both Christianity and the Nation of Islam from the author's point of view?
4. Whom does the author describe as his addiction during the novel?
5. What does the author say about Elijah Muhammad's eyes?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)