|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which city does the dinner party take place?
(c) New York City.
2. What is the goal of the Nation of Islam?
(a) Condemnation of white people.
(c) True understanding of the self.
(d) A world of peace.
3. Where does the author claim to first see members of the Nation of Islam preaching?
(a) On the street.
(b) Outside his home.
(c) Outside his church.
(d) In college.
4. Which character does the author become increasingly irritated with a "Down at the Cross" progresses?
(a) The driver.
(b) Elijah Muhammad.
(c) His nephew.
5. What does the author say about Elijah Muhammad's eyes?
(a) They are full of pain.
(b) They are beautiful.
(c) They are full of love.
(d) They appear hopeful.
6. How do African Americans experience faith, according to the author?
(a) From their own perspective.
(b) In complete peace.
(c) As a cathartic experience.
(d) In another's terms.
7. What does the quotation by Kipling delineate?
(a) A sense of hope.
(b) The perspective of African Americans.
(c) The white perspective.
(d) Faithfullness to religion.
8. Elijah Muhammad tells the author that he is driven home in order to protect him from ___________.
(a) The horrors of the streets.
(c) White devils.
9. In the author's mind, being "saved" is a release from _______.
(a) Guilt over being black.
(d) Sexual desires.
10. The letter in section one begins with _______.
(a) Loving and passionate feelings.
(b) Anger and hateful feelings.
(c) A sense of defeat.
(d) A grand sense of self.
11. To whom is the letter addressed in the first section?
(a) The the author's grandchildren.
(b) To all black men.
(c) The author's father.
(d) The author's nephew.
12. Which of the following types of oppression does the author attempt to escape from?
(a) All of the above.
13. What are the author's views on Christian tolerance and compassion?
(a) They have helped him find peace.
(b) They are false.
(c) They serve him well.
(d) They are true.
14. There is a visible parallel between Elijah Muhammad and _______.
(a) Baldwin's father.
(c) Balwin's nephew.
(d) Jesus Christ.
15. Who does the author encounter during his first visit to the Christian church?
(a) An old priest.
(b) A woman pastor.
(c) Another African American boy.
(d) An elderly black man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other religion does the author draw a parallel with Christianity?
2. What are the author's immediate feelings upon entering the Christian church?
3. The essays in the first section of the book examine _______.
4. Section one of the book makes the suggestion that the Emancipation is actually _________.
5. What are the two key elements of the letter in section one?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)