|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author claim to act is to be in "My Dungeon Shook"?
2. How does the author describe himself as a baby in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) He was an angry baby.
(b) He was a temperamental baby.
(c) He was a big baby.
(d) He was a small baby.
3. What does the word "perish" mean in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) To distinguish.
(b) To expel.
(c) To die.
(d) To enliven.
4. About how many years ago does the author describe the letter recipient being born in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) 10 years ago.
(b) 14 years ago.
(c) 16 years ago.
(d) 20 years ago.
5. What does the word "unassailable" mean in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) Unable to be devoured.
(b) Unable to be attacked or defeated.
(c) Capable of logic and enterprise.
(d) Unable to be dissuaded.
6. When was the Emancipation Proclamation issued?
(a) January 1, 1865.
(b) January 1, 1862.
(c) January 1, 1863.
(d) January 1, 1864.
7. The author says in "My Dungeon Shook," that "if you've loved anybody that long, first as an infant, then as a child, then as a man, you gain a strange perspective on" what?
(a) "A sense of love, peace, and justice."
(b) "Time and human pain and effort."
(c) "Family and the meaning of life."
(d) "That there is fear everywhere."
8. When did E. Franklin Frazier help draft the UNESCO statement entitled The Race Question?
9. The author says of one of his ancestors in "My Dungeon Shook," "One of them said, the very time I thought I was lost, my dungeon shook and" what?
(a) "I suddenly saw the light."
(b) "I was engulfed."
(c) "I was given faith."
(d) "My chains fell off."
10. Where did Charles Dickens live?
(c) The United States.
11. What caused the author's father's defeat in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) "He really believed what what people said about him."
(b) "He didn't care for his family or his friends."
(c) "He couldn't stop his temper from exploding."
(d) "He was unaware of his destiny and fell behind."
12. When was E. Franklin Frazier born?
13. Where did Homer live?
14. How many times does the author say he has begun his letter and torn it up in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) 4 times.
(b) 5 times.
(c) 3 times.
(d) 2 times.
15. The author writes in "My Dungeon Shook," "You were born where you were born, and faced the future that you faced because" of what?
(a) "You were poor."
(b) "You were black."
(c) "You were a man."
(d) "You were rich."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "impertinent" mean in the context of "My Dungeon Shook"?
2. Of white people, the author says in "My Dungeon Shook," "You must accept them and accept them with" what?
3. When was E. Franklin Frazier elected as the first black president of the American Sociological Association?
4. The author describes the birth of the letter recipient in "My Dungeon Shook," saying "here you were: to be loved. To be loved, baby, hard, at once, and forever, to strengthen you against" what?
5. What does the author refer to as "the crime of which I accuse my country" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)