|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author claims that the "Negro Christian" experience in based upon _______.
(a) Wrong claims.
(b) The beliefs of Christian priests.
(c) The teachings of old, white men.
(d) The acceptance of Jesus Christ.
2. What other religion does the author draw a parallel with Christianity?
3. What is said about both Christianity and the Nation of Islam from the author's point of view?
(b) Limited perspectives.
(c) Truthful and allknowing.
(d) Unlimited views and perspectives.
4. According to the Nation of Islam, black people are ________'s creation.
(d) Jesus Christ.
5. There is a visible parallel between Elijah Muhammad and _______.
(a) Jesus Christ.
(c) Balwin's nephew.
(d) Baldwin's father.
6. At whose home does the dinner party take place?
(a) A popular Christian preacher.
(b) A female friend of the author's.
(c) The author's home.
(d) Elijah Muhammad.
7. The author states that, when confronted with black people, white people react in a response to which emotion?
8. What do both Christianity and the Nation of Islam exploit from the author's perspective?
(c) The blackness of their followers.
9. In section two, part one, the author comments on the loss of a full experience. What does he attribute this loss to?
(a) Embracing Christianity.
(b) The oppression of others.
(c) Letting fear in his heart.
(d) Turning away from Christianity.
10. How does the author respond to Elijah Muhammad's question about religion?
(a) He recently becomes a follower of Islam.
(b) He is an atheist.
(c) He claims that he no longer thinks of religion.
(d) He states that he is a believer of Christianity.
11. The authors describes violence as _______.
(c) Not the solution.
12. What does the author use as a salvation for his sexual and sensual awakenings?
13. Which of the following terms best describes the author's feelings toward the Christian church later in life?
(d) Let down.
14. The author makes the claim that nothing can arouse him joyfully at the various manifestations of _________________.
(b) Thoughts of freedom.
(c) Church life.
15. According to the Nation of Islam, white people are __________'s creation.
(a) The devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the quotation by Kipling delineate?
2. What is one parallel that is drawn between Christian leaders and leaders of the Nation of Islam?
3. What does the author say about the misery of African Americans in "My Dungeon Shook"?
4. According to the author, what are black people determined to do?
5. In the letter, the author states that his brother becomes ________.
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)