Short Essay Questions Key
1. How is the term "Negro" used in the 1960's according to the author?
2. Describe what the author warns his nephew of in his letter in section one.
3. What is it that the author clearly states that his nephew faces?
4. What does the author say about the Emancipation Proclamation in section one?
5. Describe the author's tone in section one regarding American Society.
6. Why does the author address black men in similar situations within his letter?
7. How is the author's mother described?
8. What is the author urging the entire black community to do in his letter?
9. How is compassion related to change, according to the author?
10. What does the author believe that white America's belief in the "Negro Problem" stems from?
11. What is the author referring to when he quotes, "We cannot be free until they are free"?
12. Describe the juxtaposition of tone used in the author's letter to his nephew.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)