|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Down At The Cross: Letter from a Region of My Mind" – Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What author does the narrator describe beginning to read when he began losing his faith in "Down at the Cross"?
2. What U.S. President issued the Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) James Buchanan.
(b) Ulysses S. Grant.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Andrew Johnson.
3. The author claims in "My Dungeon Shook," "Any upheaval in the universe is terrifying because it so profoundly attacks one’s sense of" what?
(a) "Health and love."
(b) "One's own reality."
(c) "The meaning of life."
4. How does the author describe the stock from which the letter recipient came in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) "Crafty and deceitful stock."
(b) "Intelligent, handy stock."
(c) "Sturdy, peasant stock."
(d) "Elegant stock."
5. What does the author claim to act is to be in "My Dungeon Shook"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the Nation of Islam founded?
2. As the author describes growing up in Harlem in "Down at the Cross," he says, "In the same way that the girls were destined to gain as much weight as their mothers, the boys, it was clear, would" what?
3. The author writes in "My Dungeon Shook," "You were born into a society which spelled out with brutal clarity, and in as many ways as possible, that you were" what?
4. The author claims of white people in "My Dungeon Shook," "They are, in effect, still trapped in a history which" what?
5. The author says in "My Dungeon Shook," "We have not stopped trembling yet, but if we had not loved each other none of us would have" what?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)