|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Down At The Cross: Letter from a Region of My Mind" – Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author describe as the subject of the Nation of Islam speeches he observed on the streets in "Down at the Cross"?
2. What word used by the author in "Down at the Cross" means relentless or unstoppable?
3. The author writes in "Down at the Cross" that "the social treatment accorded even the most successful Negroes proved that one needed, in order to be free, something more than a bank account. One needed" what?
(b) "A mechanism to provoke change in the hearts of men."
(c) "A handle, a lever, a means of inspiring fear."
(d) "A backdoor into white society."
4. The author asserts in "Down at the Cross" that "a civilization is not destroyed by wicked people; it is not necessary that people be wicked but only that they be" what?
5. What color clothing does the author describe the women wearing at Elijah Muhammad's home in "Down at the Cross"?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes the recipient's face as being the same face of whom in "My Dungeon Shook"?
2. Charles Dickens is regarded as the greatest novelist of what era?
3. The author asserts in "Down at the Cross," "The real reason that nonviolence is considered to be a virtue in Negroes--I am not speaking now of its racial value, another matter altogether--is that white men do not want" what?
4. How many times does the author say he has begun his letter and torn it up in "My Dungeon Shook"?
5. In "My Dungeon Shook," the author cites E. Franklin Frazier as describing a time when the blacks left the land and entered into what?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)