|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Down At The Cross: Letter from a Region of My Mind" – Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Down at the Cross," the author describes the adolescent changes that the girls undergo, saying that they no longer tease the boys but do what to them instead?
(a) Interrogate them.
(b) Reprimand them.
(c) Step on them.
(d) Flirt with them.
2. In "Down at the Cross," what does the author define as "the judges, the juries, the shotguns, the law"?
(d) "White society."
3. When did Charles Dickens die?
4. Of white people, the author says in "My Dungeon Shook," "You must accept them and accept them with" what?
5. What author does the narrator describe beginning to read when he began losing his faith in "Down at the Cross"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from "My Dungeon Shook" refers to the condition of being lower in status or quality than others?
2. The author writes in "My Dungeon Shook," "This innocent country set you down" where?
3. After whom was the letter recipient named in "My Dungeon Shook"?
4. When did Rudyard Kipling live?
5. Of the girls in Harlem going through adolescence, the author says in "Down at the Cross," "They understood that they must act as God's" what?
This section contains 227 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)