|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Down At The Cross: Letter from a Region of My Mind" – Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Homer live?
2. What does the author describe school revealing itself to be to the black community passing through adolescence in "Down at the Cross"?
(a) "A segue into more fruitful endeavors."
(b) "A pursuit toward excellence."
(c) "A path to enlightenment."
(d) "A child's game that one could not win."
3. The author writes in "My Dungeon Shook," "The details and symbols of your life have been deliberately constructed to make you believe" what?
(a) "That you are destined for greatness."
(b) "That you are attainable."
(c) "That your life is fluid."
(d) "What white people say about you."
4. What word from "Down at the Cross" describes a change of the form or nature of a thing or person into a completely different one?
5. The author says in "My Dungeon Shook," " There is no reason for you to try to become like" what?
(a) "Your ancestors."
(b) "White people."
(c) "Your father."
Short Answer Questions
1. In what war does the author describe many of his friends enlisting in the service to fight in the beginning of "Down at the Cross"?
2. The author claims of white people in "My Dungeon Shook," "They are, in effect, still trapped in a history which" what?
3. What does the author describe his ancestors picking in "My Dungeon Shook"?
4. Of the letter recipient's father, the author says in "My Dungeon Shook," I hear in his present laughter" what?
5. What U.S. President issued the Emancipation Proclamation?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)