|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through "Down At The Cross: Letter from a Region of My Mind" – Part 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from "Down at the Cross" means impossible to stop or prevent?
2. The author describes the recipient's face as being the same face of whom in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) "Your father and my brother."
(b) "Your great-grandfather."
(c) "Your mother and father."
(d) "Your mother and grandmother."
3. How does the author conclude his letter in "My Dungeon Shook"?
(a) "I will see you on the morrow."
(b) "I hope that you will forgive me."
(c) "I love you, dear James, and I send my love to the family."
(d) "God bless you, James, and Godspeed."
4. What does the author say can be heard in the letter recipient's father's "laughter and in his speech and in his songs" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
5. Where was "My Dungeon Shook" first published?
(a) Time magazine.
(b) The Progressive.
(c) Reader's Digest.
(d) The New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from "My Dungeon Shook" means great in importance, extent, or size?
2. When was E. Franklin Frazier's book The Negro Family in the United States published?
3. Whom does the author claim "no one has ever accused her of being bitter" in "My Dungeon Shook"?
4. The author claims in "My Dungeon Shook," "Any upheaval in the universe is terrifying because it so profoundly attacks one’s sense of" what?
5. What kind of athletic career does the author describe pursuing but not succeeding at in "Down at the Cross"?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)