|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Carlos concentrates so hard on the conversation he is having with Don Juan that he does not realize that he _________.
2. Carlos brought strange _________ with him when he rushed out of the unknown during one of his lessons with Don Juan.
3. How does Don Juan gain the help of the woman of the house where he works with his petty tyrant?
4. It is useless, according to __________, to single out the Yaquis when the conditions of men in general is hell.
5. The blow from the nagual is often forgotten once the recipient returns to normal _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Genaro help to spur on Carlos into a heightened state of awareness?
2. What is revealed about his teachers to Carlos when he is in his left side awareness?
3. What does La Gorda do which immediately makes her feel badly, causing her to sit and weep after the incident?
4. What are the two types of seers which Don Juan describes to Carlos in their teachings together?
5. What does the assemblage point select for alignment, as taught by Don Juan in a state of heightened awareness?
6. What is Carlos told to do when he asks for an example of what an ancient Toltec practice might be?
7. Why does La Gorda want to go into town with Don Juan and Carlos when the decide to do so?
8. What is the reason why Don Genaro is able to push the narrator's assemblage point in the story?
9. What does Don Genaro find humorous about the various side of the narrator when they are all sitting at Don Genaro's house?
10. What does Don Juan believe the reason for the existence of sentient beings actually is, and the narrator does not argue the point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
With two teachers in many of the lessons, Carlos is constantly challenged in what he knows and what he thinks.
Part 1: Do you think that having two teachers is a good idea for the training of Carlos?
Part 2: Why do you think two teachers are present for many of Carlos and the other apprentices' training?
Part 3: In what ways might having more than one teacher be problematic for teaching and learning?
Essay Topic 2
The apprentices are brought into the teaching in order to be made new seers, it seems. They are entrusted with lessons which will help them feel and experience life beyond their bodies in order to teach others someday.
Part 1: What do you think the purpose of the seers might also be?
Part 2: Why do you think it's important for students to become teachers as well in the future?
Part 3: Do you think that all students have an obligation to teach what they know?
Essay Topic 3
Don Juan wants Carlos to face La Catalina, someone who scares him and attracts him.
Part 1: Why is it necessary for Carlos to face down his fears?
Part 2: Do you think you would be able to handle the powers of La Catalina?
Part 3: Who is the one person in your life who scares you and how could you face them down in order to become stronger?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)