|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hephzibah Weizenbaum?
2. How long before Tyler's death did Sam appear on "Desert Island Discs"?
3. Of what is Tyler ashamed?
4. What does Julian hope to clear out of his head?
5. What does Kimberley give Julian?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sam react to his wife's dying and death?
2. What debates does Julian think about as he walks to Regent's Park and what is Julian's thought about what Libor says?
3. What do Tyler and Julian do and what is their thought about it?
4. Why does Julian return to the scene of his mugging?
5. What does Julian realize about Kimberly and how does that puzzle him?
6. What is Sam's response to Julian's story about the mugging?
7. How does Libor fare with the bereavement counseling?
8. What is Libor's first date after widowhood like for him?
9. How does Hephzibah cause Julian to believe his fate is playing itself out with her?
10. What position has Hephzibah recently taken on and why does Julian think she was chosen for the new position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Finkler Question is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Because Malkie always played the piano, Libor hired someone to teach him to play after her death. He tells Julian, "Just when you think you've overcome the grief, you realize you are left with the loneliness" (page 14), causing Julian to wonder if it is better to never know happiness at all so there is less to mourn. Unlike Libor, Sam is consumed with anger because of his wife's death, and the distance between them explains his anger.
1. Discuss reasons it was beneficial for Libor to take piano lessons. Why might it have been harmful to him? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
2. Do you think it is better to avoid happiness than to risk losing it? Why or why not? Why might it have been harmful to him? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Sam has reacted to Tyler's death with such anger? Discuss the reasons that can be found in the book. Why might it have been harmful to him? Use examples from your own life and the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)