|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What puzzles Julian about Kimberley and the mugger?
2. What happens when Julian is on his way home from dinner with friends?
3. What rekindles the affection among Libor, Sam and Julian?
4. Why does Julian refuse Libor's dinner invitation a week after the mugging?
5. About what else is Sam ashamed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Julian meet at a party and what do they do?
2. With whom does Sam have a falling out and what disappoints him about the ASHamed Jews?
3. What do Tyler and Julian do and what is their thought about it?
4. What happens to Julian one late summer evening in London on his way home?
5. How does Libor fare with the bereavement counseling?
6. How does Sam react to his wife's dying and death?
7. What do Julian and his sons discuss and what does Julian wonder about his sons?
8. About what do Sam and Tyler feel ashamed?
9. What does a Gypsy woman tell Julian when he is on a school holiday in Barcelona?
10. How does Hephzibah cause Julian to believe his fate is playing itself out with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think The Finkler Question is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Finkler Question. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Jacobson chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Jacobson chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Jacobson's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Jacobson use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Howard Jacobson.
2. What in Jacobson's background may have helped him in writing The Finkler Question? What may have influenced the way he depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)