|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Council member's voice does Vega recognize when that person comes into Quentin Herms’s home?
2. What color light does Morrigone shoot at Delph?
3. What did Delph witness when he was six years old?
4. Who is the first person that knocks at Vega’s door after she’s returned to live in her childhood home?
5. By what name does the female warrior that gives Vega the spear address her as in VIGINTI TRES: “Who Must Survive”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads Vega Jane to return to her childhood home in DUODEVIGINTI: “Home Again”?
2. What information does Thansius present at the special meeting in DUODECIM: “The Impossible Possibility”?
3. Why does Vega return to Stacks after work in VIGINTI UNUS: “Eon and the Hole”? What does Vega see in the pit there?
4. Who speaks to Vega Jane on the battlefield in VIGINTI TRES: “Who Must Survive”? What is given to Vega?
5. Who taunts Vega after the meeting in TREDECIM: “Morrigone Calls”? Where is Vega invited to have dinner?
6. What does Vega discover about the magical powers of Destin in UNDECIM: “The Chain of Destin”? Where does Vega go with Quentin’s book?
7. What proposal does Morrigone make to Vega in SEDECIM: “The Taking of John”? How does Vega respond?
8. How and where does Vega first encounter Harry Two in SEPTENDECIM: “Harry Two”? Why does she give him this name?
9. What key does Vega choose in VIGINTI UNUS: “Eon and the Hole”? What does Eon tell her about her journey?
10. Where does Vega Jane go on the morning that opens Chapter SEX: “The Delphias”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the language style of the novel. What are examples of assonance, alliteration, onomatopoeia, rhythm, flow, etc. in the narrative? What elements of the language style of the novel stand out the most to you? What words has the author “created” to reflect the Wormwood dialect and vocabulary?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Daniel Delphia (Delph) in the novel. How does Vega Jane know Delph? How old is Delph? What is notable about the way Delph speaks? How does Delph’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
What does Vega Jane know of her own history and the history of her ancestors? What is taught to the young Wugs regarding the history of Wormwood? What questions remain for Vega regarding her history?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)