|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does FJ say he did not see?
2. What does FJ offer Myron if Myron does not try to get his clients back?
3. Before Billy Lee can shoot Myron, what happens?
4. Where does Myron meet with Sophie next?
5. Where does Myron go after he leaves Sophie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Sophie is pushing Myron to find out who sent that diskette?
2. What does Myron accuse FJ of doing to Clu? Why do you think Clu switched agencies after what FJ told him?
3. What was Nancy's message from Pat to Myron? How does Myron feel about it? Do you think he should go?
4. Who does Myron call after talking to Barbara and why?
5. How does the author explore Myron's conservative view of sexuality and gender in this section?
6. Who does the local number belong to and do you think she might be someone Myron knows?
7. What does FJ tell Myron and do you think Myron should do it?
8. How does Myron feel when he learns Clu left MB Sports? Do you think his leaving has anything to do with his murder?
9. Why do you think Esperanza wanted to keep the affair a secret?
10. What does Myron see when his hood is taken off and how does he feel? Why do you think Billy Lee is mad at Myron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esperanza seems disturbed that Myron is bending laws and rules and justifying wrong actions. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways has Myron been bending laws and rules and justifying wrong actions?
2. Do you think there is ever justification for taking the law into your own hands and killing someone whether they did something really bad or not?
3. Who seems more ethical to you--Esperanza or Myron? Explain with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Win is what in literary terms is called a "foil" for Myron. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foil."
2. What do you think is the purpose of a foil?
3. Give examples of how Win could be considered a foil for Myron.
4. Are there any other "foil" characters in the story? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes in this novel is about justice. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of justice throughout the novel. Give specific examples.
2. Sophie thinks she is gaining justice by her machinations to revenge Lucy's death. Is her plan just? Why or why not.
3. By the end of the novel, has justice been meted out to the guilty parties? Why or why not?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)