|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does FJ admit?
2. At what club does Thrill meet Myron?
3. Under what condition does TF agree to meet with Myron?
4. How do Myron and Win find out Barbara Cromwell's number?
5. Right after Myron runs out of the warehouse, what does he do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What foreshadowing do you see in this chapter? Do you think Myron and Lucy are connected considering he doesn't think he's ever met her?
2. What does Myron figure out as he walks around town after leaving the police station?
3. Why do you think Esperanza wanted to keep the affair a secret?
4. How does Pat end up getting shot? Why do you think Billy Lee started crying?
5. What does FJ tell Myron and do you think Myron should do it?
6. What do Win and Myron do when they go to Massachusetts? Do you think the motel clerk should be fired?
7. What does Myron tell Sophie when he calls her and what does she ask him to do? Why do you think she is asking Myron instead of the police?
8. Who is Sawyer and what does he have to do with Clu? Does Sawyer sound legitimate to you?
9. How does Bonnie explain her affair to Myron?
10. What does Myron find out from Sandy Li and why do you think it is important to the case that Clu was clean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esperanza seems disturbed that Myron is bending laws and rules and justifying wrong actions. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways has Myron been bending laws and rules and justifying wrong actions?
2. Do you think there is ever justification for taking the law into your own hands and killing someone whether they did something really bad or not?
3. Who seems more ethical to you--Esperanza or Myron? Explain with examples.
Essay Topic 2
This novel belongs to the mystery/detective genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term literary genre and explain why this novel would be considered a mystery/detective.
2. Discuss some of the characteristics of a mystery/detective genre, citing examples from the book.
3. Do you think some genres are more "literary" than others? Why or why not? Explain with examples.
4. What do you think is the purpose of classifying a work of fiction into a particular genre?
Essay Topic 3
Hester Crimstein is the defense attorney for Esperanza. Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe Crimstein is working in the best interest of her client? Why or why not.
2. Do you beleive Crimstein is a competent attorney? An outstanding attorney? Explain your stance.
3. Do you believe Crimstein is the best attorney to handle Esperanza's defense? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)