|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman Myron is with?
2. What was Billy Lee like in college?
3. How do you know if you're going home with a man or woman from the club?
4. What happens in the courtroom when Esperanza's case is announced?
5. What do they both figure the killer wanted to do about Myron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Myron returns to Win's apartment from the club? Do you think Win was wrong for laughing at Myron?
2. What type of theme seems to be in evidence with Clu's life? Do you think Clu was a bad person?
3. What does Win tell Myron?
4. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
5. What does Myron tell Esperanza when he next sees her? Why do you think he said it?
6. What does Jessica tell Myron about Clu? Do you think Myron being in danger had anything to do with Clu's death?
7. Why do you think Cyndi and Esperanza believe Myron abandoned them?
8. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
9. What reason does FJ use to pressure Myron into selling MB Sports Reps?
10. What happened when Myron found a brown envelope in his office? What do you think the message was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people are killed either during the action of the book or in the past before the action of the book takes place. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze the deaths in the book (other than that of Clu) and whether you think the deaths were "deserved."
2. Do you think Win should be held accountable for the death (Billy Lee) for which he was responsible?
3. Do you think Sophie should be held accountable for her part in encouraging Clu's behavior to the extent that he kills himself?
Essay Topic 2
When Myron and Sophie last talk, we learn that Myron had bribed two police officers to forget the car accident. One of the police officers in turn blackmails Clu Haid. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss how small illegal and/or immoral actions lead to serious consequences in the novel.
2. Do you think after reading this book that "crime doesn't pay"? Or does it?
3. Do you believe this book reflects "real" life in that sometimes a small action such as a white life or small theft can lead to greater consequences? Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Clu Haid kills himself after it seems his life is falling apart. Discuss the following:
1. Does it make sense that Haid kills himself? Why or why not?
2. If Clu has been clean and his drug test shows positive, why do you think Clu does not demand a new drug test since he would know if he had been using.
3. Does it sometimes seem that a person kills themselves when they think they have no options left? Do you think Clu feels this way before he dies?
4. Do you believe Clu's wife's affair contributed to his suicide? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)