|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Myron tell Esperanza he has killed someone?
2. What happens when Myron goes to the back room with Pat?
3. Why are Myron and the woman at the beach?
4. How does Win feel about Esperanza's case?
5. About what is Myron pressured by TruPro?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Myron first meet at the Take a Guess club and what happens in that encounter? Do you think he had a right to know if the person was a man or woman?
2. What does Myron tell Esperanza when he next sees her? Why do you think he said it?
3. What reason does FJ use to pressure Myron into selling MB Sports Reps?
4. Why does Myron insist that Hester is not the best lawyer for Esperanza?
5. What kind of history does Myron have with the Aches and what kind of business men are the two?
6. Of what does Sophie accuse Myron and do you think she had the right to do so?
7. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
8. Why do you think Cyndi and Esperanza believe Myron abandoned them?
9. What do you think Myron and Esperanza's relationship is like and how do you think Myron feels about it?
10. Describe the kind of club has Big Cyndi connected with Clu? Do you think that a wife would be justified to throw out a husband if he went to that type of club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early on, there are several hints that Esperanza is a lesbian and then that Clu may be a cross dresser (transvestite). Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of gender.
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of sexuality.
3. Thoroughly analyze and discuss the bar Take a Guess and why you think people go to this bar.
Essay Topic 2
When Myron visits Sophie about her daughter, Lucy, Sophie implores Myron to follow the connection to try to discover what happened to Lucy. This is an example of literary foreshadowing. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term foreshadowing as it applies to literature.
2. Thoroughly discuss three examples of foreshadowing in the book.
3. Why do writers often use foreshadowing? Does it enhance the experience of reading the book for you or not? Explain.
4. Were there any examples of foreshadowing that you misinterpreted? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Win is what in literary terms is called a "foil" for Myron. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foil."
2. What do you think is the purpose of a foil?
3. Give examples of how Win could be considered a foil for Myron.
4. Are there any other "foil" characters in the story? Give examples.
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)