|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Esperanza refusing to tell Myron about the case?
2. What does Myron want to investigate about Clu?
3. What comes on the screen when he puts in the diskette?
4. What does Myron do after he wakes up in Win's apartment?
5. What does Win say about withdrawing the money for Clu?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Clu Haid.
2. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
3. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
4. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
5. What happens when Myron sees Esperanza? Why do you think she won't talk to Myron?
6. What happens when Myron returns to Win's apartment from the club? Do you think Win was wrong for laughing at Myron?
7. What do Myron and Win finally settle on as a possible reason for Clu's murder? Do you think their idea is plausible?
8. How did the press act about Esperanza's case? Do you think that was ethical of the press to act like that?
9. What does Myron tell Esperanza when he next sees her? Why do you think he said it?
10. Describe the kind of club has Big Cyndi connected with Clu? Do you think that a wife would be justified to throw out a husband if he went to that type of club?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This novel belongs to the mystery/detective genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term literary genre and explain why this novel would be considered a mystery/detective.
2. Discuss some of the characteristics of a mystery/detective genre, citing examples from the book.
3. Do you think some genres are more "literary" than others? Why or why not? Explain with examples.
4. What do you think is the purpose of classifying a work of fiction into a particular genre?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of self-destruction.
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of violence.
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of illicit love.
Essay Topic 3
Clu Haid kills himself after it seems his life is falling apart. Discuss the following:
1. Does it make sense that Haid kills himself? Why or why not?
2. If Clu has been clean and his drug test shows positive, why do you think Clu does not demand a new drug test since he would know if he had been using.
3. Does it sometimes seem that a person kills themselves when they think they have no options left? Do you think Clu feels this way before he dies?
4. Do you believe Clu's wife's affair contributed to his suicide? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,340 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)