|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hester say about the prosecutor's request?
2. How does Myron feel about the $200K from Clu's account?
3. What was Billy Lee like in college?
4. Who calls Myron for a meeting?
5. What does Cyndi do when she sees Myron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Myron sees Esperanza? Why do you think she won't talk to Myron?
2. What happens to Myron when Big Cyndi leaves him with Pat? Do you think it's plausible that he could have gotten away given the knife slashes and the cattle prod?
3. What kind of history does Myron have with the Aches and what kind of business men are the two?
4. Who does Myron first meet at the Take a Guess club and what happens in that encounter? Do you think he had a right to know if the person was a man or woman?
5. Describe Clu Haid.
6. Why does Myron insist that Hester is not the best lawyer for Esperanza?
7. Why do the police think Esperanza has killed Clu?
8. How did Myron react to the news of Clu's withdrawal? Do you think it was moral or ethical for Win to give Clu the money?
9. What does Myron tell Esperanza when he next sees her? Why do you think he said it?
10. How did the press act about Esperanza's case? Do you think that was ethical of the press to act like that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Win is what in literary terms is called a "foil" for Myron. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foil."
2. What do you think is the purpose of a foil?
3. Give examples of how Win could be considered a foil for Myron.
4. Are there any other "foil" characters in the story? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Myron feels guilty for being away for a few weeks because of what happens to Clu. Discuss the following:
1. Is Myron responsible for what happens to Clu? Why or why not.
2. Can anyone truly take responsibility for another adult's actions? Discuss with examples.
3. Is a person ultimately responsible for his/her own actions? Why do you think many people feel guilty for another person's actions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is the criteria for a successful novel? For a successful mystery novel?
2. Is this book successful as a mystery novel? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think mystery novels are popular?
4. When you choose to read a book, what genre do you select? Why?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)