|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Cyndi tell Myron anything about Esperanza's situation?
2. How does Win feel about Esperanza's case?
3. What does Bonnie ask Myron to do?
4. Where does Myron spend the first night after he gets back to New York?
5. Who does Myron call for information about Sophie and Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police think Esperanza has killed Clu?
2. Describe how you perceive Clu as a person.
3. Why does Myron insist that Hester is not the best lawyer for Esperanza?
4. What happened when Myron found a brown envelope in his office? What do you think the message was?
5. Who does Myron call after talking to Barbara and why?
6. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
7. How does Bonnie explain her affair to Myron?
8. What does Myron tell Hester about an incident with Clu driving in Massachusetts?
9. What does Myron find out about Esperanza and Bonnie that surprises him? Do you think as well as Myron knows Esperanza he should have known about Bonnie?
10. What do you think Myron and Esperanza's relationship is like and how do you think Myron feels about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Win is what in literary terms is called a "foil" for Myron. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foil."
2. What do you think is the purpose of a foil?
3. Give examples of how Win could be considered a foil for Myron.
4. Are there any other "foil" characters in the story? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
Several people are killed either during the action of the book or in the past before the action of the book takes place. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze the deaths in the book (other than that of Clu) and whether you think the deaths were "deserved."
2. Do you think Win should be held accountable for the death (Billy Lee) for which he was responsible?
3. Do you think Sophie should be held accountable for her part in encouraging Clu's behavior to the extent that he kills himself?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of crime and punishment is prevalent throughout the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of crime and punishment throughout the novel.
2. Does punishment always fit the crime in the book? In real life?
3. What is the difference between punishment and revenge? How does this play out in the novel?
This section contains 2,228 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)