Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pulls up in the water near the couple?
2. What does the doctor say about the diskette?
3. Why is Esperanza refusing to tell Myron about the case?
4. Where is the beach located where Myron is relaxing at the beginning of the book?
5. What did the police find in Myron's office that was connected with Clu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can you say about Billy Lee from his behavior when he has Myron captive?
2. What do Win and Myron do when they go to Massachusetts? Do you think the motel clerk should be fired?
3. Who is Sawyer and what does he have to do with Clu? Does Sawyer sound legitimate to you?
4. What reason does FJ use to pressure Myron into selling MB Sports Reps?
5. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
6. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
7. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
8. Of what does Sophie accuse Myron and do you think she had the right to do so?
9. What does FJ tell Myron and do you think Myron should do it?
10. What does Myron tell Hester about an incident with Clu driving in Massachusetts?
Discuss the following:
1. What is the criteria for a successful novel? For a successful mystery novel?
2. Is this book successful as a mystery novel? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think mystery novels are popular?
4. When you choose to read a book, what genre do you select? Why?
When Myron visits Sophie about her daughter, Lucy, Sophie implores Myron to follow the connection to try to discover what happened to Lucy. This is an example of literary foreshadowing. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term foreshadowing as it applies to literature.
2. Thoroughly discuss three examples of foreshadowing in the book.
3. Why do writers often use foreshadowing? Does it enhance the experience of reading the book for you or not? Explain.
4. Were there any examples of foreshadowing that you misinterpreted? Explain.
Win is what in literary terms is called a "foil" for Myron. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foil."
2. What do you think is the purpose of a foil?
3. Give examples of how Win could be considered a foil for Myron.
4. Are there any other "foil" characters in the story? Give examples.
This section contains 1,167 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)