|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Big Cyndi and Myron decide to do that night?
2. What pulls up in the water near the couple?
3. What happens when Myron leaves the courthouse?
4. About what is Myron pressured by TruPro?
5. What does the prosecution ask about bail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Myron is staring at the water?
2. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
3. What kind of history does Myron have with the Aches and what kind of business men are the two?
4. What does Win tell Myron?
5. How did the press act about Esperanza's case? Do you think that was ethical of the press to act like that?
6. At the beginning of the book, where is Myron Bolitar, who is he with, and how long has he been there?
7. Describe how you perceive Clu as a person.
8. What happened about the hearing for bail for Esperanza? Do you think the judge was fair?
9. What happens when Myron returns to Win's apartment from the club? Do you think Win was wrong for laughing at Myron?
10. Describe Clu Haid.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esperanza seems disturbed that Myron is bending laws and rules and justifying wrong actions. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways has Myron been bending laws and rules and justifying wrong actions?
2. Do you think there is ever justification for taking the law into your own hands and killing someone whether they did something really bad or not?
3. Who seems more ethical to you--Esperanza or Myron? Explain with examples.
Essay Topic 2
The media plays a role in several of the characters' lives and in muddying the waters so that it is more difficult to sort out the facts of the case. Discuss the following:
1. How does the media come to play in the car accident that Clu and Billy Lee have when they are younger?
2. How does the media come to play in Esperanza's situation?
3. Do you think the media have some responsibility in why Clu commits suicide? Why or why not?
4. How do you think the media will treat the vindication and release of Esperanza?
Essay Topic 3
Several people are killed either during the action of the book or in the past before the action of the book takes place. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze the deaths in the book (other than that of Clu) and whether you think the deaths were "deserved."
2. Do you think Win should be held accountable for the death (Billy Lee) for which he was responsible?
3. Do you think Sophie should be held accountable for her part in encouraging Clu's behavior to the extent that he kills himself?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)