|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Clu Haid?
2. How does Myron feel about Thrill?
3. What does Win tell Myron?
4. What do people do at the club?
5. Who does Myron call for information about Sophie and Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy Lee's mother tell Myron? Do you think it was right for her to blame Myron for not helping Billy Lee?
2. How did Myron react to the news of Clu's withdrawal? Do you think it was moral or ethical for Win to give Clu the money?
3. Explain why you think Hester is an example of a strong, smart, and powerful woman.
4. Of what does Sophie accuse Myron and do you think she had the right to do so?
5. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
6. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
7. What happens when Myron sees Esperanza? Why do you think she won't talk to Myron?
8. Why do the police think Esperanza has killed Clu?
9. Why does Myron insist that Hester is not the best lawyer for Esperanza?
10. What does Jessica tell Myron about Clu? Do you think Myron being in danger had anything to do with Clu's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people are killed either during the action of the book or in the past before the action of the book takes place. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze the deaths in the book (other than that of Clu) and whether you think the deaths were "deserved."
2. Do you think Win should be held accountable for the death (Billy Lee) for which he was responsible?
3. Do you think Sophie should be held accountable for her part in encouraging Clu's behavior to the extent that he kills himself?
Essay Topic 2
Win is what in literary terms is called a "foil" for Myron. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foil."
2. What do you think is the purpose of a foil?
3. Give examples of how Win could be considered a foil for Myron.
4. Are there any other "foil" characters in the story? Give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Myron with Win.
2. Thoroughly describe and analyze the character Esperanza.
3. Thoroughly describe and analyze the character Big Cyndi.
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)