|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Myron tell Esperanza he has killed someone?
2. What happens when Myron leaves the courthouse?
3. How often did Clu have to take a drug test?
4. What does Myron think the club had to do with Clu and Bonnie?
5. What does Myron find in the mail at his office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how you perceive Clu as a person.
2. Explain why you think Hester is an example of a strong, smart, and powerful woman.
3. What is the author saying about sexuality in the scenario of the Take a Guess Club? Do you think Myron is too conservative or old fashioned for judging those people?
4. What happens when Myron returns to Win's apartment from the club? Do you think Win was wrong for laughing at Myron?
5. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
6. Why does Myron insist that Hester is not the best lawyer for Esperanza?
7. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
8. What reason does FJ use to pressure Myron into selling MB Sports Reps?
9. Why do the police think Esperanza has killed Clu?
10. What type of theme seems to be in evidence with Clu's life? Do you think Clu was a bad person?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in this novel is about justice. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of justice throughout the novel. Give specific examples.
2. Sophie thinks she is gaining justice by her machinations to revenge Lucy's death. Is her plan just? Why or why not.
3. By the end of the novel, has justice been meted out to the guilty parties? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The media plays a role in several of the characters' lives and in muddying the waters so that it is more difficult to sort out the facts of the case. Discuss the following:
1. How does the media come to play in the car accident that Clu and Billy Lee have when they are younger?
2. How does the media come to play in Esperanza's situation?
3. Do you think the media have some responsibility in why Clu commits suicide? Why or why not?
4. How do you think the media will treat the vindication and release of Esperanza?
Essay Topic 3
Early on, there are several hints that Esperanza is a lesbian and then that Clu may be a cross dresser (transvestite). Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of gender.
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of sexuality.
3. Thoroughly analyze and discuss the bar Take a Guess and why you think people go to this bar.
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)