|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Myron know Clu originally?
2. Who do they both settle on for a suspect?
3. How does Myron feel about Thrill?
4. Who is Clu Haid?
5. What does Win tell Myron?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Myron when Big Cyndi leaves him with Pat? Do you think it's plausible that he could have gotten away given the knife slashes and the cattle prod?
2. What does Myron tell Esperanza when he next sees her? Why do you think he said it?
3. Why do you think Cyndi and Esperanza believe Myron abandoned them?
4. What is the author saying about sexuality in the scenario of the Take a Guess Club? Do you think Myron is too conservative or old fashioned for judging those people?
5. Explain why you think Hester is an example of a strong, smart, and powerful woman.
6. What happened when Myron found a brown envelope in his office? What do you think the message was?
7. What do Myron and Win finally settle on as a possible reason for Clu's murder? Do you think their idea is plausible?
8. Who does Myron first meet at the Take a Guess club and what happens in that encounter? Do you think he had a right to know if the person was a man or woman?
9. What happens as Myron is staring at the water?
10. What does Hester ask Myron and why do you think she asked him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Myron and Sophie last talk, we learn that Myron had bribed two police officers to forget the car accident. One of the police officers in turn blackmails Clu Haid. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss how small illegal and/or immoral actions lead to serious consequences in the novel.
2. Do you think after reading this book that "crime doesn't pay"? Or does it?
3. Do you believe this book reflects "real" life in that sometimes a small action such as a white life or small theft can lead to greater consequences? Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 2
Myron and Win are good friends, though they are very different. Discuss the following:
1. Describe Myron and Win's friendship. Give examples.
2. Why do you think Myron continues to be friends with Win even though Myron strongly disapproves of much of what Win does?
3. Would you be willing to have a friend who is like Win? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hester Crimstein is the defense attorney for Esperanza. Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe Crimstein is working in the best interest of her client? Why or why not.
2. Do you beleive Crimstein is a competent attorney? An outstanding attorney? Explain your stance.
3. Do you believe Crimstein is the best attorney to handle Esperanza's defense? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)