|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pulls up in the water near the couple?
2. What does the doctor say about the diskette?
3. Why is Esperanza refusing to tell Myron about the case?
4. Where is the beach located where Myron is relaxing at the beginning of the book?
5. What did the police find in Myron's office that was connected with Clu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can you say about Billy Lee from his behavior when he has Myron captive?
2. What do Win and Myron do when they go to Massachusetts? Do you think the motel clerk should be fired?
3. Who is Sawyer and what does he have to do with Clu? Does Sawyer sound legitimate to you?
4. What reason does FJ use to pressure Myron into selling MB Sports Reps?
5. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
6. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
7. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
8. Of what does Sophie accuse Myron and do you think she had the right to do so?
9. What does FJ tell Myron and do you think Myron should do it?
10. What does Myron tell Hester about an incident with Clu driving in Massachusetts?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is the criteria for a successful novel? For a successful mystery novel?
2. Is this book successful as a mystery novel? Why or why not?
3. Why do you think mystery novels are popular?
4. When you choose to read a book, what genre do you select? Why?
Essay Topic 2
This novel belongs to the mystery/detective genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the term literary genre and explain why this novel would be considered a mystery/detective.
2. Discuss some of the characteristics of a mystery/detective genre, citing examples from the book.
3. Do you think some genres are more "literary" than others? Why or why not? Explain with examples.
4. What do you think is the purpose of classifying a work of fiction into a particular genre?
Essay Topic 3
When Myron and Sophie last talk, we learn that Myron had bribed two police officers to forget the car accident. One of the police officers in turn blackmails Clu Haid. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss how small illegal and/or immoral actions lead to serious consequences in the novel.
2. Do you think after reading this book that "crime doesn't pay"? Or does it?
3. Do you believe this book reflects "real" life in that sometimes a small action such as a white life or small theft can lead to greater consequences? Discuss with examples.
This section contains 2,394 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)