|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Myron find in the mail at his office?
2. About how long has Myron been at the beach?
3. What does Billy's mother ask Myron?
4. What does Myron tell Esperanza?
5. Why did Win and Myron tolerate Billy Lee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Myron first meet at the Take a Guess club and what happens in that encounter? Do you think he had a right to know if the person was a man or woman?
2. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
3. Describe how you perceive Clu as a person.
4. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
5. What happens when Myron sees Esperanza? Why do you think she won't talk to Myron?
6. Describe Clu Haid.
7. Describe the kind of club has Big Cyndi connected with Clu? Do you think that a wife would be justified to throw out a husband if he went to that type of club?
8. What do Myron and Win finally settle on as a possible reason for Clu's murder? Do you think their idea is plausible?
9. What does Myron tell Esperanza when he next sees her? Why do you think he said it?
10. What does Jessica tell Myron about Clu? Do you think Myron being in danger had anything to do with Clu's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Early on, there are several hints that Esperanza is a lesbian and then that Clu may be a cross dresser (transvestite). Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of gender.
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of sexuality.
3. Thoroughly analyze and discuss the bar Take a Guess and why you think people go to this bar.
Essay Topic 2
When Myron and Sophie last talk, we learn that Myron had bribed two police officers to forget the car accident. One of the police officers in turn blackmails Clu Haid. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss how small illegal and/or immoral actions lead to serious consequences in the novel.
2. Do you think after reading this book that "crime doesn't pay"? Or does it?
3. Do you believe this book reflects "real" life in that sometimes a small action such as a white life or small theft can lead to greater consequences? Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 3
Hester Crimstein is the defense attorney for Esperanza. Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe Crimstein is working in the best interest of her client? Why or why not.
2. Do you beleive Crimstein is a competent attorney? An outstanding attorney? Explain your stance.
3. Do you believe Crimstein is the best attorney to handle Esperanza's defense? Why or why not.
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)