|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Myron ask Hester about?
2. What money does the prosecutor bring up when arguing with Hester?
3. What does Myron tell Esperanza?
4. What does Bonnie Haide ask Myron?
5. Who does Myron call for information about Sophie and Lucy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the author saying about sexuality in the scenario of the Take a Guess Club? Do you think Myron is too conservative or old fashioned for judging those people?
2. What does Billy Lee's mother tell Myron? Do you think it was right for her to blame Myron for not helping Billy Lee?
3. What happened when Myron found a brown envelope in his office? What do you think the message was?
4. What does Win tell Myron?
5. Describe how you perceive Clu as a person.
6. What kind of history does Myron have with the Aches and what kind of business men are the two?
7. What do you think Myron and Esperanza's relationship is like and how do you think Myron feels about it?
8. Of what does Sophie accuse Myron and do you think she had the right to do so?
9. What does Myron tell Esperanza when he next sees her? Why do you think he said it?
10. How did Myron react to the news of Clu's withdrawal? Do you think it was moral or ethical for Win to give Clu the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Win is what in literary terms is called a "foil" for Myron. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foil."
2. What do you think is the purpose of a foil?
3. Give examples of how Win could be considered a foil for Myron.
4. Are there any other "foil" characters in the story? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
When Myron and Sophie last talk, we learn that Myron had bribed two police officers to forget the car accident. One of the police officers in turn blackmails Clu Haid. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss how small illegal and/or immoral actions lead to serious consequences in the novel.
2. Do you think after reading this book that "crime doesn't pay"? Or does it?
3. Do you believe this book reflects "real" life in that sometimes a small action such as a white life or small theft can lead to greater consequences? Discuss with examples.
Essay Topic 3
The media plays a role in several of the characters' lives and in muddying the waters so that it is more difficult to sort out the facts of the case. Discuss the following:
1. How does the media come to play in the car accident that Clu and Billy Lee have when they are younger?
2. How does the media come to play in Esperanza's situation?
3. Do you think the media have some responsibility in why Clu commits suicide? Why or why not?
4. How do you think the media will treat the vindication and release of Esperanza?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)