Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pulls up in the water near the couple?
2. What does the doctor say about the diskette?
3. Why is Esperanza refusing to tell Myron about the case?
4. Where is the beach located where Myron is relaxing at the beginning of the book?
5. What did the police find in Myron's office that was connected with Clu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can you say about Billy Lee from his behavior when he has Myron captive?
2. What do Win and Myron do when they go to Massachusetts? Do you think the motel clerk should be fired?
3. Who is Sawyer and what does he have to do with Clu? Does Sawyer sound legitimate to you?
4. What reason does FJ use to pressure Myron into selling MB Sports Reps?
5. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
6. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
7. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
8. Of what does Sophie accuse Myron and do you think she had the right to do so?
9. What does FJ tell Myron and do you think Myron should do it?
10. What does Myron tell Hester about an incident with Clu driving in Massachusetts?
Essay Topic 1
Win is what in literary terms is called a "foil" for Myron. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foil."
2. What do you think is the purpose of a foil?
3. Give examples of how Win could be considered a foil for Myron.
4. Are there any other "foil" characters in the story? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
The murder victim, Clu Haid, was a gifted athlete, but led a life of debauchery that leads to his premature death. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze the character of Clu Haid.
2. How could Clu have done things differently and perhaps still be alive?
3. Do you believe Clu is a sympathetic character? Why or why not?
4. Who else in the story led a similar life to Clu and what happens to that person?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes in this novel is about justice. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of justice throughout the novel. Give specific examples.
2. Sophie thinks she is gaining justice by her machinations to revenge Lucy's death. Is her plan just? Why or why not.
3. By the end of the novel, has justice been meted out to the guilty parties? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)