|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hester tell Myron about Esperanza?
2. What does Win do when Myron comes to his apartment?
3. Why does Myron think someone in the DA's office has it out for Esperanza?
4. How do you know if you're going home with a man or woman from the club?
5. What happens to Billy Lee's mother while they are talking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Myron when Big Cyndi leaves him with Pat? Do you think it's plausible that he could have gotten away given the knife slashes and the cattle prod?
2. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
3. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
4. Explain why you think Hester is an example of a strong, smart, and powerful woman.
5. What happened about the hearing for bail for Esperanza? Do you think the judge was fair?
6. Why do you think Cyndi and Esperanza believe Myron abandoned them?
7. What does Hester ask Myron and why do you think she asked him?
8. At the beginning of the book, where is Myron Bolitar, who is he with, and how long has he been there?
9. Describe Clu Haid.
10. What does Win tell Myron?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Esperanza seems disturbed that Myron is bending laws and rules and justifying wrong actions. Discuss the following:
1. In what ways has Myron been bending laws and rules and justifying wrong actions?
2. Do you think there is ever justification for taking the law into your own hands and killing someone whether they did something really bad or not?
3. Who seems more ethical to you--Esperanza or Myron? Explain with examples.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of crime and punishment is prevalent throughout the novel. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of crime and punishment throughout the novel.
2. Does punishment always fit the crime in the book? In real life?
3. What is the difference between punishment and revenge? How does this play out in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Myron feels guilty for being away for a few weeks because of what happens to Clu. Discuss the following:
1. Is Myron responsible for what happens to Clu? Why or why not.
2. Can anyone truly take responsibility for another adult's actions? Discuss with examples.
3. Is a person ultimately responsible for his/her own actions? Why do you think many people feel guilty for another person's actions?
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)