|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Clu's problem?
2. What does Billy Lee's mother say about where he is?
3. Who does Myron call for information about Sophie and Lucy?
4. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron?
5. What does Myron do after he wakes up in Win's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Myron returns to Win's apartment from the club? Do you think Win was wrong for laughing at Myron?
2. Why does Myron insist that Hester is not the best lawyer for Esperanza?
3. What happens when Myron sees Esperanza? Why do you think she won't talk to Myron?
4. What happens to Myron when Big Cyndi leaves him with Pat? Do you think it's plausible that he could have gotten away given the knife slashes and the cattle prod?
5. How did the press act about Esperanza's case? Do you think that was ethical of the press to act like that?
6. What type of theme seems to be in evidence with Clu's life? Do you think Clu was a bad person?
7. What happened when Myron found a brown envelope in his office? What do you think the message was?
8. What reason does FJ use to pressure Myron into selling MB Sports Reps?
9. What do Myron and Win finally settle on as a possible reason for Clu's murder? Do you think their idea is plausible?
10. How did Myron react to the news of Clu's withdrawal? Do you think it was moral or ethical for Win to give Clu the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several people are killed either during the action of the book or in the past before the action of the book takes place. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze the deaths in the book (other than that of Clu) and whether you think the deaths were "deserved."
2. Do you think Win should be held accountable for the death (Billy Lee) for which he was responsible?
3. Do you think Sophie should be held accountable for her part in encouraging Clu's behavior to the extent that he kills himself?
Essay Topic 2
Myron feels guilty for being away for a few weeks because of what happens to Clu. Discuss the following:
1. Is Myron responsible for what happens to Clu? Why or why not.
2. Can anyone truly take responsibility for another adult's actions? Discuss with examples.
3. Is a person ultimately responsible for his/her own actions? Why do you think many people feel guilty for another person's actions?
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes in this novel is about justice. Discuss the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of justice throughout the novel. Give specific examples.
2. Sophie thinks she is gaining justice by her machinations to revenge Lucy's death. Is her plan just? Why or why not.
3. By the end of the novel, has justice been meted out to the guilty parties? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)