|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Win's company?
2. What does the prosecution ask about bail?
3. Who calls Myron for a meeting?
4. What comes on the screen when he puts in the diskette?
5. What do they both figure the killer wanted to do about Myron?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Cyndi and Esperanza believe Myron abandoned them?
2. Describe Clu Haid.
3. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
4. What kind of history does Myron have with the Aches and what kind of business men are the two?
5. Of what does Sophie accuse Myron and do you think she had the right to do so?
6. At the beginning of the book, where is Myron Bolitar, who is he with, and how long has he been there?
7. What happened when Myron found a brown envelope in his office? What do you think the message was?
8. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
9. Why do the police think Esperanza has killed Clu?
10. How did the press act about Esperanza's case? Do you think that was ethical of the press to act like that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Myron tells Sophie that there was always a chance that Clu could relapse because most recovering drug abusers do.
1. Do you believe Myron is correct in saying that most recovering drug abusers usually relapse?
2. What do you think keeps a drug addict from relapsing?
3. Do you know of any drug addicts who have stayed clean for years? How did s/he do so?
Essay Topic 2
The media plays a role in several of the characters' lives and in muddying the waters so that it is more difficult to sort out the facts of the case. Discuss the following:
1. How does the media come to play in the car accident that Clu and Billy Lee have when they are younger?
2. How does the media come to play in Esperanza's situation?
3. Do you think the media have some responsibility in why Clu commits suicide? Why or why not?
4. How do you think the media will treat the vindication and release of Esperanza?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Myron with Win.
2. Thoroughly describe and analyze the character Esperanza.
3. Thoroughly describe and analyze the character Big Cyndi.
This section contains 1,200 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)