|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Myron know Clu originally?
2. Why is Win in a dingy?
3. What does Myron see that causes him to leave Sophie's office?
4. How does Myron feel about the $200K from Clu's account?
5. What do people do at the club?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why you think Hester is an example of a strong, smart, and powerful woman.
2. How did the press act about Esperanza's case? Do you think that was ethical of the press to act like that?
3. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
4. What does Win tell Myron?
5. Who does Myron first meet at the Take a Guess club and what happens in that encounter? Do you think he had a right to know if the person was a man or woman?
6. What does Myron find out about Barbara at the police station about Barbara?
7. What do Myron and Win finally settle on as a possible reason for Clu's murder? Do you think their idea is plausible?
8. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
9. What type of theme seems to be in evidence with Clu's life? Do you think Clu was a bad person?
10. How did Myron react to the news of Clu's withdrawal? Do you think it was moral or ethical for Win to give Clu the money?
Essay Topic 1
Myron tells Sophie that there was always a chance that Clu could relapse because most recovering drug abusers do.
1. Do you believe Myron is correct in saying that most recovering drug abusers usually relapse?
2. What do you think keeps a drug addict from relapsing?
3. Do you know of any drug addicts who have stayed clean for years? How did s/he do so?
Essay Topic 2
Clu Haid kills himself after it seems his life is falling apart. Discuss the following:
1. Does it make sense that Haid kills himself? Why or why not?
2. If Clu has been clean and his drug test shows positive, why do you think Clu does not demand a new drug test since he would know if he had been using.
3. Does it sometimes seem that a person kills themselves when they think they have no options left? Do you think Clu feels this way before he dies?
4. Do you believe Clu's wife's affair contributed to his suicide? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Several people are killed either during the action of the book or in the past before the action of the book takes place. Discuss the following:
1. Describe and analyze the deaths in the book (other than that of Clu) and whether you think the deaths were "deserved."
2. Do you think Win should be held accountable for the death (Billy Lee) for which he was responsible?
3. Do you think Sophie should be held accountable for her part in encouraging Clu's behavior to the extent that he kills himself?
This section contains 2,416 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)