Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pulls up in the water near the couple?
2. What does the doctor say about the diskette?
3. Why is Esperanza refusing to tell Myron about the case?
4. Where is the beach located where Myron is relaxing at the beginning of the book?
5. What did the police find in Myron's office that was connected with Clu?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can you say about Billy Lee from his behavior when he has Myron captive?
2. What do Win and Myron do when they go to Massachusetts? Do you think the motel clerk should be fired?
3. Who is Sawyer and what does he have to do with Clu? Does Sawyer sound legitimate to you?
4. What reason does FJ use to pressure Myron into selling MB Sports Reps?
5. How had things been going for Clu when Myron left on vacation and how did that change?
6. What does Esperanza think about Win and Myron's friendship? Do you think she is right?
7. What happens during the meeting between Myron and Bonnie Haide? Why do you think she has said what she said?
8. Of what does Sophie accuse Myron and do you think she had the right to do so?
9. What does FJ tell Myron and do you think Myron should do it?
10. What does Myron tell Hester about an incident with Clu driving in Massachusetts?
Clu Haid kills himself after it seems his life is falling apart. Discuss the following:
1. Does it make sense that Haid kills himself? Why or why not?
2. If Clu has been clean and his drug test shows positive, why do you think Clu does not demand a new drug test since he would know if he had been using.
3. Does it sometimes seem that a person kills themselves when they think they have no options left? Do you think Clu feels this way before he dies?
4. Do you believe Clu's wife's affair contributed to his suicide? Why or why not.
When Myron and Sophie last talk, we learn that Myron had bribed two police officers to forget the car accident. One of the police officers in turn blackmails Clu Haid. Discuss the following:
1. Discuss how small illegal and/or immoral actions lead to serious consequences in the novel.
2. Do you think after reading this book that "crime doesn't pay"? Or does it?
3. Do you believe this book reflects "real" life in that sometimes a small action such as a white life or small theft can lead to greater consequences? Discuss with examples.
Early on, there are several hints that Esperanza is a lesbian and then that Clu may be a cross dresser (transvestite). Discuss the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of gender.
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of sexuality.
3. Thoroughly analyze and discuss the bar Take a Guess and why you think people go to this bar.
This section contains 1,234 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)