|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the book, Madrone is sent on a raid along with _____ and Littlejohn into a pharmacy in Hollywood.
2. The Commander of the forces refuses the offer given by the pseudocouncil and slaps _____ in the face.
3. Heeding the words of the prophet, Maya insists that the City should respond with ______ resistance.
4. The code name that is needed to get the sailor to allow passage on the boat is _____ the name of an Egyptian goddess.
5. The women at the meeting are curious about Madrone's world and ask about the economic and _____ arrangements.
Short Essay Questions
1. What sentence do the leaders and citizens of the City continue to repeat to the leaders of the invasion? What is the reaction of the commander?
2. What is the threat that is facing the City that causes a Council to be held?
3. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
4. At the women's meeting in Sara's house, what aspects of the North are the women curious about?
5. What is the first destination of Madrone's journey to the South and who does she meet?
6. What aspects of the City is Isis the most interested in while she is taking Madrone to her new mission in the South?
7. How is Maya guided to deal with the threat in her vision of Elijah?
8. What does Bird suggest as a way to present certain people as leaders to the other side?
9. Why are Sara and Mary Ellen shocked to discover that Madrone is a doctor?
10. What challenges does Madrone face in helping Ohnine to heal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the challenges that would need to be overcome in creating a multicultural, multilingual community? What holidays would be celebrated?
Essay Topic 2
If the city that you lived in and the school that you went to were suddenly to convert to consensus process what would change for you? Would the process work?
Essay Topic 3
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)