|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the book, the purpose of the meeting is to discuss how the City will respond to the _____ Steward troops marching on the City.
2. The Millenialists have banned gambling, but among the elites, there is a practice of placing wagers on _____.
3. In Chapter 21 Madrone visits Angel city. While there, she meets _____ who is Hijohn's pregnant lover.
4. As part of the initiation, Madrone is _____ and receives a cut from a ritual knife to the area in order to leave a scar.
5. In Chapter 19 the raiding party decides to break into a house with a ______ in order to allow Madrone to rest and recover.
Short Essay Questions
1. Madrone met Beth at the women's meeting at Sara's house. Why does Beth contact Madrone and summon her to help heal someone?
2. Why does the General order one of his troops to deal with the crowd by shooting the children?
3. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
4. What sentence do the leaders and citizens of the City continue to repeat to the leaders of the invasion? What is the reaction of the commander?
5. What does the occasion of the Jewish holiday of Passover commemorate?
6. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
7. Why are Sara and Mary Ellen shocked to discover that Madrone is a doctor?
8. Who is particularly vocal about the downsides of nonviolent resistance and is a member of the water council.
9. At the women's meeting in Sara's house, what aspects of the North are the women curious about?
10. Why does Madrone pretend to be one of the servants at Sara's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
Essay Topic 2
Towards the end of the book, the General says to Bird, "Liar. Armies are not defeated by metaphors". What does he mean by this sentence? What is the metaphor that Bird has given to him? Is it possible to defeat an army with a metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)