|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As part of the initiation, Madrone is _____ and receives a cut from a ritual knife to the area in order to leave a scar.
2. In Chapter 14, Madrone discovers that Hijohn is sick from a _______ due to the malnutrition and dehydration the rebels face.
3. In Chapter 23, Madrone recieves a message to meet _____ one of the women she met at the Women's meeting.
4. In preparation for the raid, one of the others attempts to give Madrone a _____, but she refuses to take it.
5. In Chapter 24, the Steward troops have _____ in an effort to block the source of the water supply to the City.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bird again tortured by the General?
2. Why does Madrone pretend to be one of the servants at Sara's house?
3. What is the first destination of Madrone's journey to the South and who does she meet?
4. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
5. What challenges does Madrone face in helping Ohnine to heal?
6. Why does the General order one of his troops to deal with the crowd by shooting the children?
7. At the women's meeting in Sara's house, what aspects of the North are the women curious about?
8. How is Maya guided to deal with the threat in her vision of Elijah?
9. What does Bird suggest as a way to present certain people as leaders to the other side?
10. What does the occasion of the Jewish holiday of Passover commemorate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the shared values and experiences that allow Madrone to unite the women from the South and the women from the North?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
Essay Topic 3
Madrone pulls on several pantheons of gods and goddesses in order to heal people and perform magic. Discuss the positives and negatives of polytheism and monotheism.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)