|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Commander of the forces refuses the offer given by the pseudocouncil and slaps _____ in the face.
2. In the beginning of Chapter 13 _______ begins her trip down to the South to serve as a healer for the resistance.
3. Madrone is disheartened by her view of the bridge because the sky gaped through missing sections and there were no _____ on the cables.
4. Madrone uses her _____ skills to ascertain which drugs will be the most helpful for her and the community.
5. According to the book, the Steward troops are using highway _____ as their route into the city.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
2. What happens when the members of the council are unable to abide by the final decision?
3. What sentence do the leaders and citizens of the City continue to repeat to the leaders of the invasion? What is the reaction of the commander?
4. When Madrone gets to Angel city, why is she shocked when she meets the Avenging Angels, a group of genetically engineered teens.
5. When Madrone arrives at the rebels camp she discovers that someone is very sick . Who is sick and why is he difficult to heal?
6. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
7. At the women's meeting in Sara's house, what aspects of the North are the women curious about?
8. What does Madrone eat in order to discover how to heal some of the people in the Monsters camp?
9. Why does the General order one of his troops to deal with the crowd by shooting the children?
10. Why does Madrone pretend to be one of the servants at Sara's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would happen if the United States tried to use nonviolence as a way to deal with international crises?
Essay Topic 2
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Madrone heals a patient by going inside them. The disease turns into a metallic monster that she must defeat. Discuss the significance of the monster being made of metal.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)