|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the book, the Steward troops are using highway _____ as their route into the city.
2. After a major earthquake in ______ the Stewards declared martial law which was backed by the corporations.
3. Madrone helps to heal ______ partially to help him dope with the anguish of the murders that he has committed.
4. In Chapter 18 Madrone returns from Melissa and the beehive to the ______ camp, home of the rebels she is living with.
5. In the book, the purpose of the meeting is to discuss how the City will respond to the _____ Steward troops marching on the City.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Bird's unit struggling with Ohnine's breakdown?
2. On the trip to the South what does Isis tell Madrone about her background?
3. What challenges does Madrone face in helping Ohnine to heal?
4. Why is Bird again tortured by the General?
5. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
6. Who is particularly vocal about the downsides of nonviolent resistance and is a member of the water council.
7. Why does the General order one of his troops to deal with the crowd by shooting the children?
8. What aspects of the City is Isis the most interested in while she is taking Madrone to her new mission in the South?
9. When Madrone is in the pharmacy, what methods does she use to find the drugs she wants? What drugs does she focus on?
10. What is the threat that is facing the City that causes a Council to be held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the city that you lived in and the school that you went to were suddenly to convert to consensus process what would change for you? Would the process work?
Essay Topic 2
Madrone pulls on several pantheons of gods and goddesses in order to heal people and perform magic. Discuss the positives and negatives of polytheism and monotheism.
Essay Topic 3
Towards the end of the book, the General says to Bird, "Liar. Armies are not defeated by metaphors". What does he mean by this sentence? What is the metaphor that Bird has given to him? Is it possible to defeat an army with a metaphor? Why or why not?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)