|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way back to Hijohn's camp, Madrone and _____ have sex, which for her is an unsatisfying experience.
2. When the authorities leave, Madrone has to explain herself to _____ the wife of the owner of the house.
3. In Chapter 16 Madrone begins to _______ and is suddenly overwhelmed by the camp lifestyle.
4. Madrone uses her _____ skills to ascertain which drugs will be the most helpful for her and the community.
5. The Stewards set up camp and the first chink in the Commander's armor is seen as the troops marvel at the City's abundance of ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What methods do the opponents of non-violent resistance wish to use to defend the city?
2. What is the threat that is facing the City that causes a Council to be held?
3. On the trip to the South what does Isis tell Madrone about her background?
4. What sentence do the leaders and citizens of the City continue to repeat to the leaders of the invasion? What is the reaction of the commander?
5. When Madrone gets to Angel city, why is she shocked when she meets the Avenging Angels, a group of genetically engineered teens.
6. Who is particularly vocal about the downsides of nonviolent resistance and is a member of the water council.
7. How is Maya guided to deal with the threat in her vision of Elijah?
8. Why is Bird again tortured by the General?
9. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
10. When Madrone is in the pharmacy, what methods does she use to find the drugs she wants? What drugs does she focus on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What types of indigenous healing practices are still around? Are they effective? Are plants able to communicate with us to tell us their properties? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of symbols like the bridges to communities like the City?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)