|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While in Angel City, Madrone is shocked when she learns about some of the _____ practices of the Stewards, including genetically engineered teens.
2. Chapter 14 is written from Bird's perspective and it is the Jewish holiday of ______ celebrated with heavy pagan influence.
3. The Millenialists have banned gambling, but among the elites, there is a practice of placing wagers on _____.
4. In Chapter 20 the residents try out the agreed upon plan for dealing with the Steward soldiers and Maya and _____ have started sleeping together.
5. In Chapter 14, Madrone discovers that Hijohn is sick from a _______ due to the malnutrition and dehydration the rebels face.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Madrone arrives at the rebels camp she discovers that someone is very sick . Who is sick and why is he difficult to heal?
2. What does Bird suggest as a way to present certain people as leaders to the other side?
3. Why is Bird again tortured by the General?
4. When Madrone is in the pharmacy, what methods does she use to find the drugs she wants? What drugs does she focus on?
5. At the women's meeting in Sara's house, what aspects of the North are the women curious about?
6. Madrone met Beth at the women's meeting at Sara's house. Why does Beth contact Madrone and summon her to help heal someone?
7. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
8. Why is Bird's unit struggling with Ohnine's breakdown?
9. Why does Madrone pretend to be one of the servants at Sara's house?
10. What does the occasion of the Jewish holiday of Passover commemorate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the City is referred to as a Utopian society. Define Utopia and then discuss what the possible downsides of a Utopian society might be.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the benefits and drawbacks of monagamy and polygamy. Is there any reason why one form should be privileged over the other?
Essay Topic 3
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)