|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As part of the initiation, Madrone is _____ and receives a cut from a ritual knife to the area in order to leave a scar.
2. The prophet tells Maya that the City must invite the Stewards to ______ of the city so that they can transform.
3. When the authorities leave, Madrone has to explain herself to _____ the wife of the owner of the house.
4. In Chapter 23, Madrone recieves a message to meet _____ one of the women she met at the Women's meeting.
5. In Chapter 20 the residents try out the agreed upon plan for dealing with the Steward soldiers and Maya and _____ have started sleeping together.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
2. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
3. On the trip to the South what does Isis tell Madrone about her background?
4. What happens when the members of the council are unable to abide by the final decision?
5. What methods do the opponents of non-violent resistance wish to use to defend the city?
6. Why does the General order one of his troops to deal with the crowd by shooting the children?
7. Why is Bird's unit struggling with Ohnine's breakdown?
8. Why are Sara and Mary Ellen shocked to discover that Madrone is a doctor?
9. What does Madrone eat in order to discover how to heal some of the people in the Monsters camp?
10. Who is particularly vocal about the downsides of nonviolent resistance and is a member of the water council.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the city that you lived in and the school that you went to were suddenly to convert to consensus process what would change for you? Would the process work?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the City is referred to as a Utopian society. Define Utopia and then discuss what the possible downsides of a Utopian society might be.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of symbols like the bridges to communities like the City?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)