|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, the Steward troops have _____ in an effort to block the source of the water supply to the City.
2. While in Angel City, Madrone is shocked when she learns about some of the _____ practices of the Stewards, including genetically engineered teens.
3. In Chapter 16 Madrone begins to _______ and is suddenly overwhelmed by the camp lifestyle.
4. The prophet tells Maya that the City must invite the Stewards to ______ of the city so that they can transform.
5. In Chapter 23, Madrone recieves a message to meet _____ one of the women she met at the Women's meeting.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Madrone arrives at the rebels camp she discovers that someone is very sick . Who is sick and why is he difficult to heal?
2. Why is Bird's unit struggling with Ohnine's breakdown?
3. Why does the General order one of his troops to deal with the crowd by shooting the children?
4. When Madrone is in the pharmacy, what methods does she use to find the drugs she wants? What drugs does she focus on?
5. What does Madrone eat in order to discover how to heal some of the people in the Monsters camp?
6. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
7. Why are Sara and Mary Ellen shocked to discover that Madrone is a doctor?
8. How is Maya guided to deal with the threat in her vision of Elijah?
9. Why is Bird again tortured by the General?
10. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the benefits and drawbacks of monagamy and polygamy. Is there any reason why one form should be privileged over the other?
Essay Topic 3
How would the book change if it were written from the perspective of a heterosexual male member of the City?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)