|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22 the Steward armies arrive in the City and a group of "leaders" goes out to meet them including all of the following except _____.
2. The General learns that each household in the City has its own _____ and is thus able to go without the water rations.
3. Chapter 17 highlights how ______ as a way of making decisions functions, particularly in the midst of conflict.
4. In preparation for the raid, one of the others attempts to give Madrone a _____, but she refuses to take it.
5. The Stewards set up camp and the first chink in the Commander's armor is seen as the troops marvel at the City's abundance of ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
2. Why does Madrone pretend to be one of the servants at Sara's house?
3. What challenges does Madrone face in helping Ohnine to heal?
4. On the trip to the South what does Isis tell Madrone about her background?
5. What does the occasion of the Jewish holiday of Passover commemorate?
6. What does Bird suggest as a way to present certain people as leaders to the other side?
7. Why is Bird again tortured by the General?
8. At the women's meeting in Sara's house, what aspects of the North are the women curious about?
9. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
10. After Ohnine is healed by Madrone she gives him a name during their communion together. What is the name that she gives him and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The four sacred things are all elements of the environment and necessary for life. They were even given a voice in council so that the natural world could speak about its own future. Is the natural world included in any decision making in our world? What would change if it were?
Essay Topic 2
Why did the author choose to use bees as the animals of initiation for Madrone? What symbolic power do they carry? If Madrone now has a hive mind - what has she lost?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the benefits and drawbacks of monagamy and polygamy. Is there any reason why one form should be privileged over the other?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)