|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ritual includes an immersion into the sweetness of ______ and Madrone feels at moments like she is losing her human identity.
2. In the ______ controlled area that Sara and Mary Ellen live in, women are forbidden from having non-traditional feminine occupations.
3. In Chapter 14, Madrone discovers that Hijohn is sick from a _______ due to the malnutrition and dehydration the rebels face.
4. Madrone is informed that ______, whose group is camped outside Angel City wants her to come South.
5. Ohnine is struggling to deal with the withdrawal he is experiencing from coming off of ______ he had been using.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird suggest as a way to present certain people as leaders to the other side?
2. What is the first destination of Madrone's journey to the South and who does she meet?
3. Who is particularly vocal about the downsides of nonviolent resistance and is a member of the water council.
4. When Madrone gets to Angel city, why is she shocked when she meets the Avenging Angels, a group of genetically engineered teens.
5. What challenges does Madrone face in helping Ohnine to heal?
6. What aspects of the City is Isis the most interested in while she is taking Madrone to her new mission in the South?
7. When Madrone is in the pharmacy, what methods does she use to find the drugs she wants? What drugs does she focus on?
8. On the trip to the South what does Isis tell Madrone about her background?
9. What happens when the members of the council are unable to abide by the final decision?
10. After Ohnine is healed by Madrone she gives him a name during their communion together. What is the name that she gives him and why is it significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author choose to use bees as the animals of initiation for Madrone? What symbolic power do they carry? If Madrone now has a hive mind - what has she lost?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the benefits and drawbacks of monagamy and polygamy. Is there any reason why one form should be privileged over the other?
Essay Topic 3
Madrone pulls on several pantheons of gods and goddesses in order to heal people and perform magic. Discuss the positives and negatives of polytheism and monotheism.
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)