|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 14 is written from Bird's perspective and it is the Jewish holiday of ______ celebrated with heavy pagan influence.
2. The General commands ______ one of his troops, to deal with the children who are surrounding the council by shooting them.
3. While in Angel City, Madrone is shocked when she learns about some of the _____ practices of the Stewards, including genetically engineered teens.
4. Mary Ellen and Sara are both shocked to learn that Madrone, as a woman of color, is a ______.
5. In Chapter 20 the residents try out the agreed upon plan for dealing with the Steward soldiers and Maya and _____ have started sleeping together.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird suggest as a way to present certain people as leaders to the other side?
2. At the women's meeting in Sara's house, what aspects of the North are the women curious about?
3. What methods do the opponents of non-violent resistance wish to use to defend the city?
4. What is the threat that is facing the City that causes a Council to be held?
5. What does Madrone eat in order to discover how to heal some of the people in the Monsters camp?
6. What does the occasion of the Jewish holiday of Passover commemorate?
7. When Madrone gets to Angel city, why is she shocked when she meets the Avenging Angels, a group of genetically engineered teens.
8. Why does the General order one of his troops to deal with the crowd by shooting the children?
9. When Madrone arrives at the rebels camp she discovers that someone is very sick . Who is sick and why is he difficult to heal?
10. What happens when the members of the council are unable to abide by the final decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the City is referred to as a Utopian society. Define Utopia and then discuss what the possible downsides of a Utopian society might be.
Essay Topic 2
If the city that you lived in and the school that you went to were suddenly to convert to consensus process what would change for you? Would the process work?
Essay Topic 3
What types of indigenous healing practices are still around? Are they effective? Are plants able to communicate with us to tell us their properties? Why or why not?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)