|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sara has a gathering at the house during which it is revealed that the women are also suffering from ______ policies even though married to rich, white men.
2. In the book, the citizens are willing to sacrifice the symbols of ______ in order to preserve their lifestyle.
3. Ohnine is given the new name of ______ , a mark of a different life that he has never experienced before.
4. As part of the initiation, Madrone is _____ and receives a cut from a ritual knife to the area in order to leave a scar.
5. After a major earthquake in ______ the Stewards declared martial law which was backed by the corporations.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is particularly vocal about the downsides of nonviolent resistance and is a member of the water council.
2. Why are Sara and Mary Ellen shocked to discover that Madrone is a doctor?
3. What is the first destination of Madrone's journey to the South and who does she meet?
4. Why does the General order one of his troops to deal with the crowd by shooting the children?
5. After Ohnine is healed by Madrone she gives him a name during their communion together. What is the name that she gives him and why is it significant?
6. What sentence do the leaders and citizens of the City continue to repeat to the leaders of the invasion? What is the reaction of the commander?
7. Madrone met Beth at the women's meeting at Sara's house. Why does Beth contact Madrone and summon her to help heal someone?
8. On the trip to the South what does Isis tell Madrone about her background?
9. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
10. Why is Bird's unit struggling with Ohnine's breakdown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the city that you lived in and the school that you went to were suddenly to convert to consensus process what would change for you? Would the process work?
Essay Topic 2
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 3
Maya often speaks to the dead, especially when she has just awakened at dawn. If you had the opportunity to speak with the dead, who would you speak with? What would you say or ask?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)