|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird discovers from his companion that he has been in Angel City at ______ for the last ten years.
2. In the South, the policies are blatantly racist and forbid any form of cultural blending including speaking ______.
3. Chapter 6 describes the continued travels of Bird and his companion making their way ______.
4. Bird's homosexuality is portrayed as being unrelated to stereotypes about _____ and being around only males.
5. In this chapter, Madrone is distraught over the recent death of her lover, ______, who died from the disease that threatens the City.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the government of the city run according to the book?
2. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
3. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
4. When Bird returns to the city, he and Madrone re-kindle a relationship. What is the nature of their relationship?
5. What is the name of the new prisoner that is brought into the cell when Littlejohn and Bird are there and what does Bird do to him?
6. What does Bird do in order to dispel his confusion and try to get his bearings of the situation?
7. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
8. What is the process through which decisions are reached in the city? Who is allowed to participate in the decision making process?
9. What work have Holybear, Sage, and Nita been doing for the Toxics council?
10. What are the names given to the two different branches of the governmental structures of Southern California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of symbols like the bridges to communities like the City?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the City is referred to as a Utopian society. Define Utopia and then discuss what the possible downsides of a Utopian society might be.
Essay Topic 3
What types of indigenous healing practices are still around? Are they effective? Are plants able to communicate with us to tell us their properties? Why or why not?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)