|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Council of the City govern through the process of _______ in which all interested parties are allowed a say.
2. The voice of the West represents ______ and its guardian animal is the Salmon.
3. At the council meeting, Madrone is asked a question by one of the members of _______.
4. The City is referred to as ______ and is vastly different from the dystopian climate of the rest of California.
5. The Monsters suffer from ______ that occurred as a result of the damaged environment from a nuclear reactor.
Short Essay Questions
1. Madrone goes into a trance to heal a patient and realizes that the disease might be too powerful. When she is done what happens to Madrone?
2. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
3. What does Bird do in order to dispel his confusion and try to get his bearings of the situation?
4. What are the author's opinions on sexuality, including homosexuality, bisexuality, and polyamory/polygamy?
5. What begins to return to Bird as he continues to recover memories in jail?
6. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
7. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
8. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
9. What does Bird do that causes friction in his relationship with Madrone?
10. What is Bird's condition when he awakens at the beginning of chapter two and who is with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would happen if the United States tried to use nonviolence as a way to deal with international crises?
Essay Topic 2
If the city that you lived in and the school that you went to were suddenly to convert to consensus process what would change for you? Would the process work?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the author choose to use bees as the animals of initiation for Madrone? What symbolic power do they carry? If Madrone now has a hive mind - what has she lost?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)