|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The council has added the natural world as a voice that needs to be counted. All of the following describe how the council delivers its governance except________.
2. The other faction within the regime is called _______ and represents the religious wing.
3. Bird crosses an area marked ________ territory and runs across of group of self-described "Monsters".
4. The chapter opens with Bird recovering his memories and power. He enacts a _______ to "get me out of here".
5. When Bird originally ended up in jail he was tortured by the guards so that he would divulge information about ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Bird's condition when he awakens at the beginning of chapter two and who is with him?
2. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
3. What is the process through which decisions are reached in the city? Who is allowed to participate in the decision making process?
4. Why do the residents of Toxic territory refer to themselves as monsters?
5. When Bird returns to the city, he and Madrone re-kindle a relationship. What is the nature of their relationship?
6. What does Bird do in order to dispel his confusion and try to get his bearings of the situation?
7. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
8. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
9. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
10. What are the different naturally occurring elements that represent the Four sacred things.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the end of the book, the General says to Bird, "Liar. Armies are not defeated by metaphors". What does he mean by this sentence? What is the metaphor that Bird has given to him? Is it possible to defeat an army with a metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What types of indigenous healing practices are still around? Are they effective? Are plants able to communicate with us to tell us their properties? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the policies and practices of the South in the book with current policies and practices in the United States.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)