|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird admits that he has concern about information revealed as a result of ______ while in jail in the South.
2. Bird crosses an area marked ________ territory and runs across of group of self-described "Monsters".
3. Dystopian California exists on the control of a ______ fundamentalist military regime.
4. Chapter 8 ends with a ______ in which the city dwellers take to the streets to celebrate.
5. At the council meeting, Madrone is asked a question by one of the members of _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
2. Madrone met Beth at the women's meeting at Sara's house. Why does Beth contact Madrone and summon her to help heal someone?
3. What challenges does Madrone face in helping Ohnine to heal?
4. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
5. On the trip to the South what does Isis tell Madrone about her background?
6. When Madrone gets to Angel city, why is she shocked when she meets the Avenging Angels, a group of genetically engineered teens.
7. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
8. Why is Bird again tortured by the General?
9. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
10. Why is Madrone dismayed by the choice of drugs that the rebels plan to get from the raid on the pharmacy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author choose to use bees as the animals of initiation for Madrone? What symbolic power do they carry? If Madrone now has a hive mind - what has she lost?
Essay Topic 2
Maya often speaks to the dead, especially when she has just awakened at dawn. If you had the opportunity to speak with the dead, who would you speak with? What would you say or ask?
Essay Topic 3
The four sacred things are all elements of the environment and necessary for life. They were even given a voice in council so that the natural world could speak about its own future. Is the natural world included in any decision making in our world? What would change if it were?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)