|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the South, the policies are blatantly racist and forbid any form of cultural blending including speaking ______.
2. __________ agrees to remain for a few days to recuperate.
3. Madrone is showing up to the council to sit as a representative for the group of _______ to which she belongs.
4. Bird tells Lily that he has promised to return to ______. Lily disagrees with him and says that it is not his path.
5. Lily responds to Bird's concerns by saying that if he told them the truth that ____ old women who listen and dream defend the city, that nobody would listen.
Short Essay Questions
1. Madrone goes into a trance to heal a patient and realizes that the disease might be too powerful. When she is done what happens to Madrone?
2. What are the author's opinions on sexuality, including homosexuality, bisexuality, and polyamory/polygamy?
3. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
4. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
5. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
6. What does Bird do in order to dispel his confusion and try to get his bearings of the situation?
7. What work have Holybear, Sage, and Nita been doing for the Toxics council?
8. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
9. What are the names given to the two different branches of the governmental structures of Southern California?
10. After breaking through some of his amnesia, Bird begins to remember some of the details of his capture. What happened between him and the guards after his capture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the end of the book, the General says to Bird, "Liar. Armies are not defeated by metaphors". What does he mean by this sentence? What is the metaphor that Bird has given to him? Is it possible to defeat an army with a metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the challenges that would need to be overcome in creating a multicultural, multilingual community? What holidays would be celebrated?
Essay Topic 3
What types of indigenous healing practices are still around? Are they effective? Are plants able to communicate with us to tell us their properties? Why or why not?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)