|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Stewards govern by issuing _______ to those underneath them in the hierarchy, who are expected to comply without question.
2. The Voices were given a seat because it was felt that all _____ and neighborhoods should have representation in the new system.
3. In the beginning of the second chapter, Bird, the grandson of Maya, who is currently in ______.
4. The Monsters ask Littlejohn and Bird to participate in a ______ ritual, and then to stay and recover from their travels.
5. The City is on the verge of an epidemic and as a healer _______ tries to save the life of a fevered pregnant woman.
Short Essay Questions
1. As a part of the Voices, there are four animals that represent each of the sacred things at the council. What are the four animals.
2. What is Lily's response to Bird's confession of guilt about what he may have revealed to the enemy during his torture?
3. What is the name of the new prisoner that is brought into the cell when Littlejohn and Bird are there and what does Bird do to him?
4. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
5. When Bird returns to the city, he and Madrone re-kindle a relationship. What is the nature of their relationship?
6. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
7. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
8. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
9. After breaking through some of his amnesia, Bird begins to remember some of the details of his capture. What happened between him and the guards after his capture?
10. The members of the Black Dragon household construct altars to their deceased loved ones as a celebration of what holiday.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Madrone heals a patient by going inside them. The disease turns into a metallic monster that she must defeat. Discuss the significance of the monster being made of metal.
Essay Topic 3
What types of indigenous healing practices are still around? Are they effective? Are plants able to communicate with us to tell us their properties? Why or why not?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)