|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madrone tries a risky method of healing that involves ______ the disease and then curing it inside yourself.
2. The Monsters suffer from ______ that occurred as a result of the damaged environment from a nuclear reactor.
3. The City has established religious tolerance and blending of various religious celebrations as evidenced by the celebration of the Day of the ______.
4. Chapter 9 ends with ______ of the members of the household engaging in a ritualized sexual encounter.
5. _____ goes into deep trance to help her patients energetically as well as spiritually. However, it is not always successful.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird do in order to dispel his confusion and try to get his bearings of the situation?
2. What are the author's opinions on sexuality, including homosexuality, bisexuality, and polyamory/polygamy?
3. What is Bird's condition when he awakens at the beginning of chapter two and who is with him?
4. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
5. What are some of the negative effects of the raid on the nuclear reactor that Bird experienced at the time of the raid?
6. What are the names given to the two different branches of the governmental structures of Southern California?
7. Why is the subject of the monsters and the nuclear reactor that caused the mutations difficult for Bird to deal with?
8. Maya is often visited by several spirits of the dead, who she communes with on a regular basis. Who are her two most frequent visitors?
9. As a part of the Voices, there are four animals that represent each of the sacred things at the council. What are the four animals.
10. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the end of the book, the General says to Bird, "Liar. Armies are not defeated by metaphors". What does he mean by this sentence? What is the metaphor that Bird has given to him? Is it possible to defeat an army with a metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
Essay Topic 3
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)