|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the shrine, ______ are left by those who have lost loved ones in remembrance of those who have passed on.
2. In the beginning of the second chapter, Bird, the grandson of Maya, who is currently in ______.
3. Bird's homosexuality is portrayed as being unrelated to stereotypes about _____ and being around only males.
4. Chapter 8 ends with a ______ in which the city dwellers take to the streets to celebrate.
5. Although exhausted, Madrone joins Maya on the trek to the shrine of the ______ Sacred things.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
2. What does Bird do that causes friction in his relationship with Madrone?
3. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
4. What are the author's opinions on sexuality, including homosexuality, bisexuality, and polyamory/polygamy?
5. Why do the residents of Toxic territory refer to themselves as monsters?
6. The members of the Black Dragon household construct altars to their deceased loved ones as a celebration of what holiday.
7. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
8. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
9. When Bird returns to the city, he and Madrone re-kindle a relationship. What is the nature of their relationship?
10. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would happen if the United States tried to use nonviolence as a way to deal with international crises?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the challenges that would need to be overcome in creating a multicultural, multilingual community? What holidays would be celebrated?
Essay Topic 3
How would the book change if it were written from the perspective of a heterosexual male member of the City?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)