|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The voice of the East represents ______ and its guardian animal is the Hawk.
2. In Chapter 7 it appears that Madrone is close to _____ after her healing work with her last client.
3. Madrone goes into a trance and has a vision involving a variety of _______.
4. Once at the work camp, ______ of the men manage to escape, eventually heading in different directions.
5. The opening chapter alternates between the perspective of ninety-eight year old Maya and _______, the granddaughter of one of her lovers.
Short Essay Questions
1. As a part of the Voices, there are four animals that represent each of the sacred things at the council. What are the four animals.
2. Maya is often visited by several spirits of the dead, who she communes with on a regular basis. Who are her two most frequent visitors?
3. Madrone goes into a trance to heal a patient and realizes that the disease might be too powerful. When she is done what happens to Madrone?
4. What does Bird do in order to dispel his confusion and try to get his bearings of the situation?
5. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
6. Why is the subject of the monsters and the nuclear reactor that caused the mutations difficult for Bird to deal with?
7. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
8. Why do the residents of Toxic territory refer to themselves as monsters?
9. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
10. What information does the defense council want from Madrone, Bird, and Maya?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the City is referred to as a Utopian society. Define Utopia and then discuss what the possible downsides of a Utopian society might be.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)