|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird crosses an area marked ________ territory and runs across of group of self-described "Monsters".
2. When Madrone emerges from the trance, her patient's _______ is gone but she collapses from exhaustion.
3. The opening chapter alternates between the perspective of ninety-eight year old Maya and _______, the granddaughter of one of her lovers.
4. Lily Fong is a member of the ______ council and believes that the disease currently killing people is a biological weapon.
5. Chapter 9 ends with ______ of the members of the household engaging in a ritualized sexual encounter.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bird do that causes friction in his relationship with Madrone?
2. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
3. What work have Holybear, Sage, and Nita been doing for the Toxics council?
4. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
5. What are the names given to the two different branches of the governmental structures of Southern California?
6. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
7. Why do the residents of Toxic territory refer to themselves as monsters?
8. What begins to return to Bird as he continues to recover memories in jail?
9. What is Lily's response to Bird's confession of guilt about what he may have revealed to the enemy during his torture?
10. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madrone pulls on several pantheons of gods and goddesses in order to heal people and perform magic. Discuss the positives and negatives of polytheism and monotheism.
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of symbols like the bridges to communities like the City?
Essay Topic 3
Maya often speaks to the dead, especially when she has just awakened at dawn. If you had the opportunity to speak with the dead, who would you speak with? What would you say or ask?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)