|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Stewards govern by issuing _______ to those underneath them in the hierarchy, who are expected to comply without question.
2. Bird admits that he has concern about information revealed as a result of ______ while in jail in the South.
3. The story is told from the perspective of three members of the _______ Dragon House.
4. Bird awakens confused and disoriented, and finds himself in bed with a young man named ______.
5. In Chapter 5 Madrone attempts a _______ that involves dropping her own protective psychic shields and going into her patient's system.
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of the City is Isis the most interested in while she is taking Madrone to her new mission in the South?
2. What begins to return to Bird as he continues to recover memories in jail?
3. The general is shot and refuses any kind of medical help. When he dies the Stewards begin to leave the City. What do Bird, Madrone, Isis, Katy, and River decide to do after the departure of the Stewards?
4. After Ohnine is healed by Madrone she gives him a name during their communion together. What is the name that she gives him and why is it significant?
5. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
6. When Madrone gets to Angel city, why is she shocked when she meets the Avenging Angels, a group of genetically engineered teens.
7. At the women's meeting in Sara's house, what aspects of the North are the women curious about?
8. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
9. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
10. How is Maya guided to deal with the threat in her vision of Elijah?
Essay Topic 1
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Madrone heals a patient by going inside them. The disease turns into a metallic monster that she must defeat. Discuss the significance of the monster being made of metal.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)