|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madrone brings Maya tea and they talk about ______before she heads off to go to Council, the city's form of governance.
2. Contrary to the religious blending and tolerance in the North, only ______ beliefs are allowed in the South.
3. Madrone is unsure of whether the disease is a biological weapon. As she leaves the council she has a strong feeling of _______ presence.
4. The Council of the City govern through the process of _______ in which all interested parties are allowed a say.
5. In the beginning of the second chapter, Bird, the grandson of Maya, who is currently in ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
2. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
3. What are some of the negative effects of the raid on the nuclear reactor that Bird experienced at the time of the raid?
4. Why do the residents of Toxic territory refer to themselves as monsters?
5. What information does the defense council want from Madrone, Bird, and Maya?
6. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
7. What are the names given to the two different branches of the governmental structures of Southern California?
8. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
9. What does Bird do that causes friction in his relationship with Madrone?
10. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the benefits and drawbacks of monagamy and polygamy. Is there any reason why one form should be privileged over the other?
Essay Topic 2
Towards the end of the book, the General says to Bird, "Liar. Armies are not defeated by metaphors". What does he mean by this sentence? What is the metaphor that Bird has given to him? Is it possible to defeat an army with a metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What types of indigenous healing practices are still around? Are they effective? Are plants able to communicate with us to tell us their properties? Why or why not?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)