|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the South, the policies are blatantly racist and forbid any form of cultural blending including speaking ______.
2. The voice of the West represents ______ and its guardian animal is the Salmon.
3. Maya tells of a face-to-face confrontation she had with a young ______ officer, and realized he was just as scared as she was.
4. Lily Fong is a member of the ______ council and believes that the disease currently killing people is a biological weapon.
5. At the shrine, ______ are left by those who have lost loved ones in remembrance of those who have passed on.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the government of the city run according to the book?
2. The members of the Black Dragon household construct altars to their deceased loved ones as a celebration of what holiday.
3. What are some of the negative effects of the raid on the nuclear reactor that Bird experienced at the time of the raid?
4. What work have Holybear, Sage, and Nita been doing for the Toxics council?
5. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
6. When Bird returns to the city, he and Madrone re-kindle a relationship. What is the nature of their relationship?
7. Maya is often visited by several spirits of the dead, who she communes with on a regular basis. Who are her two most frequent visitors?
8. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
9. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
10. What are the different naturally occurring elements that represent the Four sacred things.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
Essay Topic 2
Towards the end of the book, the General says to Bird, "Liar. Armies are not defeated by metaphors". What does he mean by this sentence? What is the metaphor that Bird has given to him? Is it possible to defeat an army with a metaphor? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the benefits and drawbacks of monagamy and polygamy. Is there any reason why one form should be privileged over the other?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)