|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The city of Los Angeles is changed to ______ in order to move away from cultural ties that existed before.
2. Madrone brings Maya tea and they talk about ______before she heads off to go to Council, the city's form of governance.
3. This chapter deals more directly with issues of ______, highlighted by Bird's relationship to his cell mate.
4. In Chapter 7 it appears that Madrone is close to _____ after her healing work with her last client.
5. In an effort to be helpful, Bird starts gardening around the house but disturbs the ______ plant near which Sandy's ashes were scattered.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
2. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
3. How is the government of the city run according to the book?
4. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
5. When Bird returns to the city, he and Madrone re-kindle a relationship. What is the nature of their relationship?
6. What is the process through which decisions are reached in the city? Who is allowed to participate in the decision making process?
7. After breaking through some of his amnesia, Bird begins to remember some of the details of his capture. What happened between him and the guards after his capture?
8. What is Bird's condition when he awakens at the beginning of chapter two and who is with him?
9. What are the different naturally occurring elements that represent the Four sacred things.
10. Madrone goes into a trance to heal a patient and realizes that the disease might be too powerful. When she is done what happens to Madrone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 2
Madrone pulls on several pantheons of gods and goddesses in order to heal people and perform magic. Discuss the positives and negatives of polytheism and monotheism.
Essay Topic 3
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)