|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The opening chapter alternates between the perspective of ninety-eight year old Maya and _______, the granddaughter of one of her lovers.
2. Bird goes to Maya and she believes him to be a spirit at first. Madrone and Bird rekindle their _______.
3. Maya's former lovers include all of the following except _______, and are her most frequent spirit visitors.
4. The council has added the natural world as a voice that needs to be counted. All of the following describe how the council delivers its governance except________.
5. The story is told through flashback and reveals that the City was invaded by the _______armies.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the different naturally occurring elements that represent the Four sacred things.
2. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
3. What is Bird's condition when he awakens at the beginning of chapter two and who is with him?
4. What information does the defense council want from Madrone, Bird, and Maya?
5. What is the name of the new prisoner that is brought into the cell when Littlejohn and Bird are there and what does Bird do to him?
6. How is the government of the city run according to the book?
7. After breaking through some of his amnesia, Bird begins to remember some of the details of his capture. What happened between him and the guards after his capture?
8. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
9. Maya is often visited by several spirits of the dead, who she communes with on a regular basis. Who are her two most frequent visitors?
10. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, the City is referred to as a Utopian society. Define Utopia and then discuss what the possible downsides of a Utopian society might be.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Black Dragon Household's values on family. Compare and contrast these values from your own values.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book there is a great deal of time spent on sexuality and sexual expression. What is the author's intention behind this?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)