|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Monsters ask Littlejohn and Bird to participate in a ______ ritual, and then to stay and recover from their travels.
2. In an effort to be helpful, Bird starts gardening around the house but disturbs the ______ plant near which Sandy's ashes were scattered.
3. Contrary to the religious blending and tolerance in the North, only ______ beliefs are allowed in the South.
4. Three others return to the house in chapter nine including ______ named partly after an animal.
5. In the South, the policies are blatantly racist and forbid any form of cultural blending including speaking ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the subject of the monsters and the nuclear reactor that caused the mutations difficult for Bird to deal with?
2. What are the different naturally occurring elements that represent the Four sacred things.
3. What are the names given to the two different branches of the governmental structures of Southern California?
4. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
5. When Bird returns to the city, he and Madrone re-kindle a relationship. What is the nature of their relationship?
6. Maya is often visited by several spirits of the dead, who she communes with on a regular basis. Who are her two most frequent visitors?
7. How is the government of the city run according to the book?
8. The members of the Black Dragon household construct altars to their deceased loved ones as a celebration of what holiday.
9. What information does the defense council want from Madrone, Bird, and Maya?
10. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the city that you lived in and the school that you went to were suddenly to convert to consensus process what would change for you? Would the process work?
Essay Topic 2
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the challenges that would need to be overcome in creating a multicultural, multilingual community? What holidays would be celebrated?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)