|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once at the work camp, ______ of the men manage to escape, eventually heading in different directions.
2. Within the military regime are two different factions. One is called _____ and represents the military wing.
3. _______ decides to stay for the ritual and eventually decides that he will stay with the Monsters for good.
4. Bird tells Lily that he has promised to return to ______. Lily disagrees with him and says that it is not his path.
5. _______ returns to the hills where he is a leader among the rebels and at the end of chapter four splits from the others.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
2. What is the process through which decisions are reached in the city? Who is allowed to participate in the decision making process?
3. When Bird returns to the city, he and Madrone re-kindle a relationship. What is the nature of their relationship?
4. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
5. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
6. What begins to return to Bird as he continues to recover memories in jail?
7. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
8. What are some of the negative effects of the raid on the nuclear reactor that Bird experienced at the time of the raid?
9. What does Bird do in order to dispel his confusion and try to get his bearings of the situation?
10. Maya is often visited by several spirits of the dead, who she communes with on a regular basis. Who are her two most frequent visitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the challenges that would need to be overcome in creating a multicultural, multilingual community? What holidays would be celebrated?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the City is referred to as a Utopian society. Define Utopia and then discuss what the possible downsides of a Utopian society might be.
Essay Topic 3
Madrone is set up as the heroine of the story, a departure from the usual format in which their is a masculine hero. Describe the differences between masculine acts of heroism and feminine acts of heroism. Is one kind of heroism more important than another?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)