|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Council of the City govern through the process of _______ in which all interested parties are allowed a say.
2. Maya's former lovers include all of the following except _______, and are her most frequent spirit visitors.
3. The members of the house construct ______ to their deceased loved ones and share stories with one another.
4. Lily responds to Bird's concerns by saying that if he told them the truth that ____ old women who listen and dream defend the city, that nobody would listen.
5. When Madrone emerges from the trance, her patient's _______ is gone but she collapses from exhaustion.
Short Essay Questions
1. As a part of the Voices, there are four animals that represent each of the sacred things at the council. What are the four animals.
2. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
3. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
4. What are the names given to the two different branches of the governmental structures of Southern California?
5. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
6. What is the name of the new prisoner that is brought into the cell when Littlejohn and Bird are there and what does Bird do to him?
7. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
8. Madrone goes into a trance to heal a patient and realizes that the disease might be too powerful. When she is done what happens to Madrone?
9. What information does the defense council want from Madrone, Bird, and Maya?
10. What are the author's opinions on sexuality, including homosexuality, bisexuality, and polyamory/polygamy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the author choose to use bees as the animals of initiation for Madrone? What symbolic power do they carry? If Madrone now has a hive mind - what has she lost?
Essay Topic 2
Madrone pulls on several pantheons of gods and goddesses in order to heal people and perform magic. Discuss the positives and negatives of polytheism and monotheism.
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of symbols like the bridges to communities like the City?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)