|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Bird wakes up disoriented and confused it becomes clear that he and ______ are lovers.
2. Bird awakens confused and disoriented, and finds himself in bed with a young man named ______.
3. The Fifth Sacred Thing focuses on one family in the egalitarian community in the city of _________.
4. One of the stories that Maya shares has to do with her involvement in the Anti-_______ Movement.
5. Bird is able to soothe the man using ______ techniques and heal some of his pain. He is again warned to reveal none of these practices to the guards.
Short Essay Questions
1. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
2. To what group or division does Madrone represent when she goes to the Council?
3. What is the name of the new prisoner that is brought into the cell when Littlejohn and Bird are there and what does Bird do to him?
4. What are the author's opinions on sexuality, including homosexuality, bisexuality, and polyamory/polygamy?
5. Why is the subject of the monsters and the nuclear reactor that caused the mutations difficult for Bird to deal with?
6. What are some of the negative effects of the raid on the nuclear reactor that Bird experienced at the time of the raid?
7. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
8. What work have Holybear, Sage, and Nita been doing for the Toxics council?
9. What is Bird's condition when he awakens at the beginning of chapter two and who is with him?
10. Madrone goes into a trance to heal a patient and realizes that the disease might be too powerful. When she is done what happens to Madrone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the fifth sacred thing love? What are some other possibilities for the fifth sacred thing and why would you choose them?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Madrone heals a patient by going inside them. The disease turns into a metallic monster that she must defeat. Discuss the significance of the monster being made of metal.
Essay Topic 3
Maya often speaks to the dead, especially when she has just awakened at dawn. If you had the opportunity to speak with the dead, who would you speak with? What would you say or ask?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)