|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Stewards govern by issuing _______ to those underneath them in the hierarchy, who are expected to comply without question.
2. The story is told through flashback and reveals that the City was invaded by the _______armies.
(b) Las Cuatros Viejas.
(c) Black Dragons.
3. Madrone brings Maya tea and they talk about ______before she heads off to go to Council, the city's form of governance.
(b) The dead.
4. Maya's romantic involvements are described in the first chapter, and she is openly ______, which is accepted in the culture of the City.
5. At the council meeting, Madrone is asked a question by one of the members of _______.
(a) Black Dragon house.
(b) Las Cuatras Viejas.
(c) Angel City.
(d) The South.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lily responds to Bird's concerns by saying that if he told them the truth that ____ old women who listen and dream defend the city, that nobody would listen.
2. Once at the work camp, ______ of the men manage to escape, eventually heading in different directions.
3. Dystopian California exists on the control of a ______ fundamentalist military regime.
4. The story is told from the perspective of three members of the _______ Dragon House.
5. Chapter 11 begins with the celebration of El Dia de los ______, or Day of the Dead.
Short Essay Questions
1. As part of the resistance effort against the invaders, the dam is blown up by the water council. What is the response of the invading forces?
2. What are the author's opinions on sexuality, including homosexuality, bisexuality, and polyamory/polygamy?
3. Why is Bird's unit struggling with Ohnine's breakdown?
4. What challenges does Madrone face in helping Ohnine to heal?
5. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
6. How is the government of the city run according to the book?
7. When Madrone arrives at the rebels camp she discovers that someone is very sick . Who is sick and why is he difficult to heal?
8. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
9. Why does Madrone pretend to be one of the servants at Sara's house?
10. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)