|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Voices participate in the discussions of the council, ______ representatives of the Four Sacred Things.
2. In Chapter 8, Bird returns to the city and arrives at the _______ Dragon House to find Madrone in bed.
3. Bird is able to soothe the man using ______ techniques and heal some of his pain. He is again warned to reveal none of these practices to the guards.
(d) Sound healilng.
4. The other two that return to the house in Chapter 9 are _____ and Nita. The return of the three eases tensions between Madrone and Bird.
5. The voice of the East represents ______ and its guardian animal is the Hawk.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter deals more directly with issues of ______, highlighted by Bird's relationship to his cell mate.
2. The opening chapter alternates between the perspective of ninety-eight year old Maya and _______, the granddaughter of one of her lovers.
3. Although Bird wakes up disoriented and confused it becomes clear that he and ______ are lovers.
4. Bird awakens confused and disoriented, and finds himself in bed with a young man named ______.
5. Although exhausted, Madrone joins Maya on the trek to the shrine of the ______ Sacred things.
Short Essay Questions
1. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
2. Why do the residents of Toxic territory refer to themselves as monsters?
3. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
4. What are the names given to the two different branches of the governmental structures of Southern California?
5. What are the author's opinions on sexuality, including homosexuality, bisexuality, and polyamory/polygamy?
6. Maya is often visited by several spirits of the dead, who she communes with on a regular basis. Who are her two most frequent visitors?
7. What is the name of the new prisoner that is brought into the cell when Littlejohn and Bird are there and what does Bird do to him?
8. What does Bird do that causes friction in his relationship with Madrone?
9. What is Lily's response to Bird's confession of guilt about what he may have revealed to the enemy during his torture?
10. Why is the subject of the monsters and the nuclear reactor that caused the mutations difficult for Bird to deal with?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)