|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Voices were given a seat because it was felt that all _____ and neighborhoods should have representation in the new system.
2. Once at the work camp, ______ of the men manage to escape, eventually heading in different directions.
3. This chapter deals more directly with issues of ______, highlighted by Bird's relationship to his cell mate.
4. The council has added the natural world as a voice that needs to be counted. All of the following describe how the council delivers its governance except________.
5. _____ goes into deep trance to help her patients energetically as well as spiritually. However, it is not always successful.
(c) La Vieja.
Short Answer Questions
1. Within the military regime are two different factions. One is called _____ and represents the military wing.
2. Chapter 3 begins with Maya waking up in the _______ the time of day she usually communicates with the dead.
3. Maya's former lovers include all of the following except _______, and are her most frequent spirit visitors.
4. Although exhausted, Madrone joins Maya on the trek to the shrine of the ______ Sacred things.
5. One of the losses that Bird suffered as a result of his activism is that his hands are broken and he can no longer play ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
2. What begins to return to Bird as he continues to recover memories in jail?
3. After breaking through some of his amnesia, Bird begins to remember some of the details of his capture. What happened between him and the guards after his capture?
4. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
5. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
6. How is the government of the city run according to the book?
7. Madrone goes into a trance to heal a patient and realizes that the disease might be too powerful. When she is done what happens to Madrone?
8. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
9. What is Lily's response to Bird's confession of guilt about what he may have revealed to the enemy during his torture?
10. What does Bird do that causes friction in his relationship with Madrone?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)