|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The opening scene has Maya climbing a hill overlooking _______ Bay, describing how the streets have been changed into streams and gardens.
(a) San Francisco.
2. The story is told from the perspective of three members of the _______ Dragon House.
3. Maya tells of a face-to-face confrontation she had with a young ______ officer, and realized he was just as scared as she was.
(a) National Guard.
4. The Voices were given a seat because it was felt that all _____ and neighborhoods should have representation in the new system.
5. ______ is asked to speak and relates part of the history of Las Cuatros Viejas or the Four Old Women.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5 Madrone attempts a _______ that involves dropping her own protective psychic shields and going into her patient's system.
2. The Fifth Sacred Thing focuses on one family in the egalitarian community in the city of _________.
3. The other two that return to the house in Chapter 9 are _____ and Nita. The return of the three eases tensions between Madrone and Bird.
4. Although exhausted, Madrone joins Maya on the trek to the shrine of the ______ Sacred things.
5. Madrone is unsure of whether the disease is a biological weapon. As she leaves the council she has a strong feeling of _______ presence.
Short Essay Questions
1. What religious beliefs and or cultural practices are considered to be okay to practice in the South?
2. What begins to return to Bird as he continues to recover memories in jail?
3. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
4. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
5. Madrone goes into a trance to heal a patient and realizes that the disease might be too powerful. When she is done what happens to Madrone?
6. What is the process through which decisions are reached in the city? Who is allowed to participate in the decision making process?
7. Maya is often visited by several spirits of the dead, who she communes with on a regular basis. Who are her two most frequent visitors?
8. What information does the defense council want from Madrone, Bird, and Maya?
9. What does Bird do that causes friction in his relationship with Madrone?
10. After breaking through some of his amnesia, Bird begins to remember some of the details of his capture. What happened between him and the guards after his capture?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)