|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The council has added the natural world as a voice that needs to be counted. All of the following describe how the council delivers its governance except________.
2. When Bird originally ended up in jail he was tortured by the guards so that he would divulge information about ______.
(a) The West.
(b) The South.
(c) The City.
(d) San Diego.
3. Madrone is unsure of whether the disease is a biological weapon. As she leaves the council she has a strong feeling of _______ presence.
4. Maya's romantic involvements are described in the first chapter, and she is openly ______, which is accepted in the culture of the City.
5. The opening scene has Maya climbing a hill overlooking _______ Bay, describing how the streets have been changed into streams and gardens.
(d) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bird crosses an area marked ________ territory and runs across of group of self-described "Monsters".
2. Maya's former lovers include all of the following except _______, and are her most frequent spirit visitors.
3. In Chapter 8, Bird returns to the city and arrives at the _______ Dragon House to find Madrone in bed.
4. Within the book, Starhawk explores all of the following themes except ______ that she has explored in her other writings.
5. This chapter deals more directly with issues of ______, highlighted by Bird's relationship to his cell mate.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily Fong of the defense council ask Madrone during the council meeting?
2. What is the process through which decisions are reached in the city? Who is allowed to participate in the decision making process?
3. What does Bird do in order to dispel his confusion and try to get his bearings of the situation?
4. As a result of the raid, Bird broke both of his hands and is therefore no longer able to play what instrument?
5. As a part of the Voices, there are four animals that represent each of the sacred things at the council. What are the four animals.
6. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
7. What is the name of the new prisoner that is brought into the cell when Littlejohn and Bird are there and what does Bird do to him?
8. Why is the subject of the monsters and the nuclear reactor that caused the mutations difficult for Bird to deal with?
9. What are some of the negative effects of the raid on the nuclear reactor that Bird experienced at the time of the raid?
10. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)