|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 3 begins with Maya waking up in the _______ the time of day she usually communicates with the dead.
2. _____ is the name of the prisoner that was beaten close to death. Bird was able to help with his pain somewhat.
3. Within the book, Starhawk explores all of the following themes except ______ that she has explored in her other writings.
4. Bird is able to sense the pain of another person in the jail called _____ who has been beaten to the point of death.
5. Madrone realizes shortly into the healing that the disease may be too _______ for her and that she may have made a mistake.
6. Maya tells of a face-to-face confrontation she had with a young ______ officer, and realized he was just as scared as she was.
(c) National Guard.
7. In the beginning of the second chapter, Bird, the grandson of Maya, who is currently in ______.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) a Hotel.
8. Bird crosses an area marked ________ territory and runs across of group of self-described "Monsters".
9. Madrone gives Bird a long list of those who have _____ since the last time he was in the city.
10. The City is referred to as ______ and is vastly different from the dystopian climate of the rest of California.
(a) The West.
(b) The North.
(c) The East.
(d) The South.
11. The opening scene has Maya climbing a hill overlooking _______ Bay, describing how the streets have been changed into streams and gardens.
(b) San Francisco.
12. The Voices participate in the discussions of the council, ______ representatives of the Four Sacred Things.
13. The City is on the verge of an epidemic and as a healer _______ tries to save the life of a fevered pregnant woman.
14. Contrary to the religious blending and tolerance in the North, only ______ beliefs are allowed in the South.
15. In Chapter 8, Bird returns to the city and arrives at the _______ Dragon House to find Madrone in bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Madrone goes into a trance and has a vision involving a variety of _______.
2. Chapter 6 describes the continued travels of Bird and his companion making their way ______.
3. One of the losses that Bird suffered as a result of his activism is that his hands are broken and he can no longer play ______.
4. Bird's homosexuality is portrayed as being unrelated to stereotypes about _____ and being around only males.
5. Lily responds to Bird's concerns by saying that if he told them the truth that ____ old women who listen and dream defend the city, that nobody would listen.
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)