|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although Bird wakes up disoriented and confused it becomes clear that he and ______ are lovers.
2. Madrone brings Maya tea and they talk about ______before she heads off to go to Council, the city's form of governance.
(c) The dead.
3. The voice of the West represents ______ and its guardian animal is the Salmon.
4. At the shrine, ______ are left by those who have lost loved ones in remembrance of those who have passed on.
5. This chapter deals more directly with issues of ______, highlighted by Bird's relationship to his cell mate.
6. The Council of the City govern through the process of _______ in which all interested parties are allowed a say.
7. Although exhausted, Madrone joins Maya on the trek to the shrine of the ______ Sacred things.
8. Maya's romantic involvements are described in the first chapter, and she is openly ______, which is accepted in the culture of the City.
9. Throughout the book, Starhawk confronts rigid heterosexual expectations around relationship including _______
10. People felt that the ______ Sacred things should have a voice in the council as well.
11. Bird admits that he has concern about information revealed as a result of ______ while in jail in the South.
(a) Sexual escapades.
(c) Talking in his sleep.
(d) Drunken revelries.
12. The disease turns into a _______ monster that Madrone must somehow be able to defeat.
13. ______ is asked to speak and relates part of the history of Las Cuatros Viejas or the Four Old Women.
14. The City is on the verge of an epidemic and as a healer _______ tries to save the life of a fevered pregnant woman.
15. The second chapter describes the dystopian half of California that is being run by the _______.
(c) Los Cuatros Viejas.
Short Answer Questions
1. _____ goes into deep trance to help her patients energetically as well as spiritually. However, it is not always successful.
2. In this chapter, Madrone is distraught over the recent death of her lover, ______, who died from the disease that threatens the City.
3. Maya tells of a face-to-face confrontation she had with a young ______ officer, and realized he was just as scared as she was.
4. In the South, the policies are blatantly racist and forbid any form of cultural blending including speaking ______.
5. In the beginning of the second chapter, Bird, the grandson of Maya, who is currently in ______.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)