|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bird is cautioned to continue to pretend that he has amnesia and to make sure the guards don't hear him speaking ______.
2. The Fifth Sacred Thing focuses on one family in the egalitarian community in the city of _________.
(a) Laguna Beach.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) San Diego.
(d) Los Angeles.
3. Although exhausted, Madrone joins Maya on the trek to the shrine of the ______ Sacred things.
4. Chapter 11 begins with the celebration of El Dia de los ______, or Day of the Dead.
5. Chapter 3 begins with Maya waking up in the _______ the time of day she usually communicates with the dead.
6. At the shrine, ______ are left by those who have lost loved ones in remembrance of those who have passed on.
7. The second chapter describes the dystopian half of California that is being run by the _______.
(d) Los Cuatros Viejas.
8. _____ is the name of the prisoner that was beaten close to death. Bird was able to help with his pain somewhat.
9. The three work for the _____ council and their work has them sampling water in the surrounding regions.
(d) Streams and Rivers.
10. The other faction within the regime is called _______ and represents the religious wing.
(a) The Sacred.
(b) The Millenialists.
(c) Las Cuatros Viejas.
(d) The Stewards.
11. Maya's romantic involvements are described in the first chapter, and she is openly ______, which is accepted in the culture of the City.
12. Within the book, Starhawk explores all of the following themes except ______ that she has explored in her other writings.
13. The voice of the East represents ______ and its guardian animal is the Hawk.
14. Lily responds to Bird's concerns by saying that if he told them the truth that ____ old women who listen and dream defend the city, that nobody would listen.
15. Dystopian California exists on the control of a ______ fundamentalist military regime.
Short Answer Questions
1. This chapter deals more directly with issues of ______, highlighted by Bird's relationship to his cell mate.
2. Bird is able to sense the pain of another person in the jail called _____ who has been beaten to the point of death.
3. The chapter opens with Bird recovering his memories and power. He enacts a _______ to "get me out of here".
4. _______ decides to stay for the ritual and eventually decides that he will stay with the Monsters for good.
5. The Four old women were partially responsible for sparking rebellion in _____ when martial law was declared.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)