Short Essay Questions Key
1. Apart from the City which is situated in the North, how is the Southern part of California governed?
The South is governed by a fundamentalist Christian regime with separate branches of military and religion.
2. As Maya climbs the hill in the opening chapter, how does she describe the changes that have taken place in the City?
Maya describes how the city streets have be transformed into streams and gardens.
3. What is the significance of Madrone leaving a stone at the temple?
She is offering a prayer/gift to her departed lover Sandy, who recently died.
4. How is the government of the city run according to the book?
The City relies on communal governance which means each person has a vote through the consensus process.
5. What is significant about the way that the city celebrates the Day of the Reaper?
The city's celebration of this holiday not only represents the community's focus on religion, but also blending various traditions, and religious tolerance.
This section contains 2,389 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)