|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In January 1862, what Republican leader in the House called for total war against the rebellion to include emancipation of slaves, arguing that emancipation, by forcing the loss of enslaved labor, would ruin the rebel economy?
2. The Emancipation Proclamation did not pertain to the slaves in the border states, leaving nearly how many people in bondage?
3. When did Abraham Lincoln first meet with Frederick Douglass?
4. The Battle of Antietam was fought on what date?
5. What candidate was presented by the Constitutional Union Party in the 1860 presidential election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to John C. Fremont's removal from command in Chapter 6?
2. What actions and events led to the beginning of the Civil War, as discussed in Chapter 5?
3. What was permitted by ordinance of the Second Confiscation Act?
4. What treatment did blacks receive in the Union Army, as described in Chapter 8?
5. What state's slavery abolition was of greatest importance to Lincoln? Why?
6. What military decision did General Benjamin F. Butler make in 1861 regarding escaped slaves?
7. What actions did Secretary of State Seward take to further the colonialist cause during the Civil War? What problems were encountered?
8. What did Lincoln say in his inaugural address regarding the South? How was his speech received?
9. What was Abraham Lincoln's opinion of General Benjamin F. Butler's actions in Chapter 6?
10. What candidates were elected from the various parties for the 1860 presidential election?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lincoln's Law practice in Illinois during the 1840s, and notable cases taken by Lincoln which centered on slaves or former slaves. What do these cases say about Lincoln's views on slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the origins of slavery in the United States. Where in the early nation did slavery flourish and expand? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the First and Second Confiscation Acts. How did each of these acts further the Union's cause?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)