|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Stephen A. Douglas born?
2. The Constitutional Union Party was also known as what in the state of California?
3. Where did William H. Seward study law?
4. Who was a Confederate general during the American Civil War, and one of the best-known Confederate commanders after General Robert E. Lee?
5. In what year did Maryland abolish slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Abraham Lincoln's opinion of General Benjamin F. Butler's actions in Chapter 6?
2. What actions did Secretary of State Seward take to further the colonialist cause during the Civil War? What problems were encountered?
3. What did Lincoln assert of the Republican Party at his speech at the Cooper Institute in 1860?
4. Why did Lincoln initially refuse to allow blacks in the Union Army, as discussed in Chapter 7?
5. What state's slavery abolition was of greatest importance to Lincoln? Why?
6. What actions did John C. Fremont take with escaped slaves in Chapter 6?
7. When did Maryland, West Virginia, Missouri and Tennessee abolish slavery?
8. What treatment did blacks receive in the Union Army, as described in Chapter 8?
9. What candidates were elected from the various parties for the 1860 presidential election?
10. What did Lincoln allow Southern states to do in order to get around the Emancipation Proclamation in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the different abolitionist movements of the early 1800s. How did these movements differ in their philosophies of dealing with the emancipated slaves?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the slavery laws of Kentucky, Indiana and Illinois during Lincoln's childhood. How did the laws differ from the South to the North?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the actions of John C. Fremont and General Benjamin F. Butler. How were these men treated differently as a consequence of their actions and why?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)