|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what historic date did General Benjamin F. Butler decide not to send a group of escape slaves back to their owners?
2. The Constitutional Union Party was made up primarily of former members of what political party?
3. What was the name of a proposed Central American colony suggested by United States Senator Samuel Pomeroy of Kansas in 1862?
4. What state was named in the Emancipation Proclamation, but exemptions were specified for the 48 counties then in the process of forming a new state?
5. What nickname did Stephen A. Douglas have in politics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions did Secretary of State Seward take to further the colonialist cause during the Civil War? What problems were encountered?
2. What state's slavery abolition was of greatest importance to Lincoln? Why?
3. What did Lincoln allow Southern states to do in order to get around the Emancipation Proclamation in Chapter 7?
4. What did the Emancipation Proclamation allow for regarding the military, as discussed in Chapter 8?
5. What treatment did blacks receive in the Union Army, as described in Chapter 8?
6. Who was Frederick Douglass? When did he first meet with Lincoln?
7. What political strategies did Lincoln assert in Chapter 5? What issues were avoided and why?
8. When did Maryland, West Virginia, Missouri and Tennessee abolish slavery?
9. What did President Buchanan do in response to the secession of the Southern states in Chapter 5?
10. What did Lincoln assert of the Republican Party at his speech at the Cooper Institute in 1860?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the enactment of the Emancipation Proclamation and the enlisting of blacks in the Union Army. How were blacks treated in comparison to whites?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Whig Party and its history. When was the Whig Party established? What were its core tenets?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the actions of John C. Fremont and General Benjamin F. Butler. How were these men treated differently as a consequence of their actions and why?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)