|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lincoln make a speech in Springfield that included a discussion on the violence that surrounded the abolitionist movement in Chapter 1?
2. Abraham Lincoln was a member of what political party from the early part of his career until the 1850s?
3. Who was the 12th President of the United States?
4. When was the author Eric Foner born?
5. Slavery had been prohibited in Indiana and Illinois since what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the abolitionist movement evolve during Taylor's presidency, as discussed in Chapter 2?
2. What issues within the abolitionist movement led to new debates at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What was the central political issue regarding slavery in the 1840s, as discussed in Chapter 2?
4. What does the author relate of Lincoln's early childhood in Chapter 1? Where was Lincoln born?
5. What did Lincoln argue regarding free labor in the South, as described in Chapter 4?
6. What was significant about the 1856 presidential election for Lincoln's career?
7. What intention does the author state in the Preface of "The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery"?
8. Describe Abraham Lincoln's most controversial court case discussed in Chapter 2. What was the outcome of the trial?
9. What is ironic about Abraham Lincoln's stance on slavery during the 1856 presidential elections, as discussed in Chapter 3?
10. What influences from Lincoln's childhood does the author attribute to his beliefs about slavery in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Thirteenth Amendment of the Constitution. When was the amendment first introduced to the House? How was it received by the citizens of the nation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lincoln's Law practice in Illinois during the 1840s, and notable cases taken by Lincoln which centered on slaves or former slaves. What do these cases say about Lincoln's views on slavery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the life of Frederick Douglass. What impact did Douglass have on the black community in America? What influence did he have on Abraham Lincoln?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)