|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Dred Scott Decision was a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that people of African descent brought into the United States and held as slaves (or their descendants) were what?
2. What was a minor political party in the United States in the 1840s which was an early advocate of the abolitionist cause?
3. Eric Foner has been a member of the faculty of the Department of History at what university since 1982?
4. The Somersett's case in what year emancipated a slave in England and helped launch the movement to abolish slavery?
5. As they campaigned for the Senate in 1858, Lincoln and his supporters decided to invite who to debate the issues?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Abraham Lincoln's stance on slavery during the 1856 presidential elections, as discussed in Chapter 3?
2. How did Lincoln's political associations change in the 1850s? What party had he been affiliated with?
3. Who was Henry Clay? What beliefs did Clay hold regarding slavery?
4. Who was Stephen A. Douglas? How did Douglas' views on slavery differ from Lincoln's?
5. Who was John C. Fremont? What relationship did Fremont have with Lincoln?
6. What contact with slavery did Lincoln have in his youth, as discussed in Chapter 1?
7. How did the abolitionist movement evolve during Taylor's presidency, as discussed in Chapter 2?
8. What led to the split in the Democratic Party before the 1860 presidential election? What did Lincoln remark about this split?
9. What was the central political issue regarding slavery in the 1840s, as discussed in Chapter 2?
10. Describe Abraham Lincoln's most controversial court case discussed in Chapter 2. What was the outcome of the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Lincoln's Law practice in Illinois during the 1840s, and notable cases taken by Lincoln which centered on slaves or former slaves. What do these cases say about Lincoln's views on slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe James K. Polk, Zachary Taylor, and the presidential elections of 1848. How was Lincoln involved in campaigning?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Abraham Lincoln's early exposure to slavery and his impressions as a child and young man regarding the issue of slaves. When and where did Lincoln view slaves being bought and sold?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)