|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. James Buchanan was a member of what political party when he was elected U.S. President?
2. How did Abraham Lincoln feel about his father, according to the author?
3. James Buchanan was which President of the United States?
4. When was the Missouri Compromise enacted?
5. What was an organized incorporated territory of the United States that existed from July 4, 1805 until June 4, 1812?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Abraham Lincoln's most controversial court case discussed in Chapter 2. What was the outcome of the trial?
2. What was the American Colonization Society, and what did they promote?
3. What influences from Lincoln's childhood does the author attribute to his beliefs about slavery in Chapter 2?
4. How did the abolitionists go about promoting abolition in the beginning of their movement, as described in Chapter 1?
5. What laws prevented equality between states of the North and South, as discussed in Chapter 1?
6. What issues within the abolitionist movement led to new debates at the end of Chapter 4?
7. When did Abraham Lincoln first become involved in the abolitionist movement, as discussed in Chapter 1?
8. What does the author relate of Lincoln's early childhood in Chapter 1? Where was Lincoln born?
9. What intention does the author state in the Preface of "The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery"?
10. How did Lincoln's political associations change in the 1850s? What party had he been affiliated with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Abraham Lincoln's early exposure to slavery and his impressions as a child and young man regarding the issue of slaves. When and where did Lincoln view slaves being bought and sold?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the origins and history of the Liberty Party. What did the Liberty Party believe was the best way of dealing with the emancipated slaves from the South?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Lincoln's tenure with the Illinois legislature. When and why did Lincoln enter politics?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)