|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was William H. Seward born?
2. When did Lincoln publicly relieve John C. Fremont of command?
(a) October 15, 1862.
(b) July, 12, 1862.
(c) September 14, 1875.
(d) November 2, 1861.
3. Where was John C. Breckinridge born?
4. The Treaty between the United States and Great Britain for the Suppression of the Slave Trade was also known as what?
(a) The Mason-Swift Treaty.
(b) The Lincoln Treaty.
(c) The Lyons-Seward Treaty.
(d) The Trent Treaty.
5. What was a government set up from 1861 to 1865 by Southern slave states of the United States of America that had declared their secession from the US?
(a) The Rebel Forces of America.
(b) The Union of America.
(c) The Lower Confederacy.
(d) The Confederate States of America.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Constitutional Union Party was also known as what in the state of California?
2. What state had already mostly returned to Union control, so it was not named and was exempted from the Emancipation Proclamation?
3. In what year did Maryland abolish slavery?
4. When was Stephen A. Douglas born?
5. What candidate was presented by the Constitutional Union Party in the 1860 presidential election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Abraham Lincoln's opinion of General Benjamin F. Butler's actions in Chapter 6?
2. What military decision did General Benjamin F. Butler make in 1861 regarding escaped slaves?
3. What legislation did Abraham Lincoln introduce to Congress in July of 1862? What became of the legislation?
4. When was the Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation issued and what did it proclaim?
5. What actions did John C. Fremont take with escaped slaves in Chapter 6?
6. What actions and events led to the beginning of the Civil War, as discussed in Chapter 5?
7. What was permitted by ordinance of the Second Confiscation Act?
8. What candidates were elected from the various parties for the 1860 presidential election?
9. What political strategies did Lincoln assert in Chapter 5? What issues were avoided and why?
10. What did Lincoln assert of the Republican Party at his speech at the Cooper Institute in 1860?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)