|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1820, the American Colonization Society began sending black volunteers where to establish a colony for freed American slaves?
(a) The Pepper Coast.
(b) The Gold Coast.
(c) The Humboldt Coast.
(d) The Gulf Coast.
2. The Treaty between the United States and Great Britain for the Suppression of the Slave Trade was also known as what?
(a) The Mason-Swift Treaty.
(b) The Lyons-Seward Treaty.
(c) The Trent Treaty.
(d) The Lincoln Treaty.
3. When did Lincoln publish his Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) January 1, 1862.
(b) July 12, 1863.
(c) January 1, 1863.
(d) June 14, 1864.
4. Where was Frederick Douglass born?
5. What state was named in the Emancipation Proclamation, but exemptions were specified for the 48 counties then in the process of forming a new state?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was an act of Congress during the early months of the American Civil War permitting the confiscation of any of property, including slaves, being used to support the Confederate insurrection?
2. How many slave states in the South immediately declared their independence when Lincoln was elected?
3. When was the American Colonization Society founded?
4. To Lincoln,abolishing slavery in what state was the most important step because it was the only state in the South in which he attempted to apply his plan for Reconstruction as he had in Missouri and Tennessee?
5. What refers to a trend of thought that favors equality of some sort among moral agents, whether persons or animals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions did Secretary of State Seward take to further the colonialist cause during the Civil War? What problems were encountered?
2. What candidates were elected from the various parties for the 1860 presidential election?
3. What military decision did General Benjamin F. Butler make in 1861 regarding escaped slaves?
4. What did Lincoln write of his impressions of New Orleans as a young man?
5. Who was Frederick Douglass? When did he first meet with Lincoln?
6. What did President Buchanan do in response to the secession of the Southern states in Chapter 5?
7. What happened to the slaves who escaped to the Union in the beginning of the war, as described in Chapter 6?
8. What was Abraham Lincoln's opinion of General Benjamin F. Butler's actions in Chapter 6?
9. What political strategies did Lincoln assert in Chapter 5? What issues were avoided and why?
10. What did Lincoln allow Southern states to do in order to get around the Emancipation Proclamation in Chapter 7?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)