|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fugitive slave laws were laws passed by the United States Congress in 1793 and in what year?
2. The Emancipation Proclamation proclaimed the immediate freedom of how many of the nation's slaves?
3. When was William H. Seward born?
4. The Treaty between the United States and Great Britain for the Suppression of the Slave Trade was also known as what?
(a) The Lyons-Seward Treaty.
(b) The Mason-Swift Treaty.
(c) The Trent Treaty.
(d) The Lincoln Treaty.
5. What state was named in the Emancipation Proclamation, but exemptions were specified for the 48 counties then in the process of forming a new state?
Short Answer Questions
1. What group in American politics of the 1860s were adherents of the Democratic Party who demanded a more aggressive policy toward the Confederacy and supported the policies of President Abraham Lincoln when the Civil War broke out?
2. When did Lincoln publish his Emancipation Proclamation?
3. In what year did West Virginia abolish slavery?
4. In January 1862, what Republican leader in the House called for total war against the rebellion to include emancipation of slaves, arguing that emancipation, by forcing the loss of enslaved labor, would ruin the rebel economy?
5. The Battle of Antietam was fought on what date?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political strategies did Lincoln assert in Chapter 5? What issues were avoided and why?
2. When did Maryland, West Virginia, Missouri and Tennessee abolish slavery?
3. What candidates were elected from the various parties for the 1860 presidential election?
4. What did the Emancipation Proclamation allow for regarding the military, as discussed in Chapter 8?
5. What legislation did Abraham Lincoln introduce to Congress in July of 1862? What became of the legislation?
6. What did Lincoln allow Southern states to do in order to get around the Emancipation Proclamation in Chapter 7?
7. What actions and events led to the beginning of the Civil War, as discussed in Chapter 5?
8. What state's slavery abolition was of greatest importance to Lincoln? Why?
9. What military decision did General Benjamin F. Butler make in 1861 regarding escaped slaves?
10. What was Abraham Lincoln's opinion of General Benjamin F. Butler's actions in Chapter 6?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)