|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The fugitive slave laws were laws passed by the United States Congress in 1793 and in what year?
2. What was the name of a proposed Central American colony suggested by United States Senator Samuel Pomeroy of Kansas in 1862?
(b) Pomeroy Island.
(c) New America.
(d) Lincoln Island.
3. Lincoln's Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation offered gradual emancipation and what to border states and any states that returned voluntarily to the Union?
(b) The right to vote.
4. The Battle of Antietam was fought on what date?
(a) September 12, 1863.
(b) October 11, 1860.
(c) November 12, 1860.
(d) September 17, 1862.
5. Who was an anti-slavery activist who was active in the New York Committee of Vigilance and the Underground Railroad and helped Frederick Douglass escape to freedom?
(a) Martin Van Buren.
(b) William Lloyd Garrison.
(c) John P. Hale.
(d) David Ruggles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lincoln give a speech during the 1860 presidential campaign in which he stated that the Republicans did not want to change slavery in states where it already existed, but only wanted to stop it from expanding?
2. The Emancipation Proclamation proclaimed the freedom of how many of the nation's slaves?
3. What is a foreign policy which holds that political rulers should avoid alliances with other nations, but still retain diplomacy, and avoid all wars not related to direct self-defense?
4. The Constitutional Union Party was established in what year?
5. Where was General Benjamin F. Butler assigned when he decided not to send a group of escape slaves back to their owners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lincoln allow Southern states to do in order to get around the Emancipation Proclamation in Chapter 7?
2. What did Lincoln assert of the Republican Party at his speech at the Cooper Institute in 1860?
3. What did Lincoln write of his impressions of New Orleans as a young man?
4. What was permitted by ordinance of the Second Confiscation Act?
5. What military decision did General Benjamin F. Butler make in 1861 regarding escaped slaves?
6. What legislation did Abraham Lincoln introduce to Congress in July of 1862? What became of the legislation?
7. What happened to the slaves who escaped to the Union in the beginning of the war, as described in Chapter 6?
8. What state's slavery abolition was of greatest importance to Lincoln? Why?
9. What candidates were elected from the various parties for the 1860 presidential election?
10. What actions and events led to the beginning of the Civil War, as discussed in Chapter 5?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)