|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Mexican-American War begin?
2. What is the bicameral legislature of the federal government of the United States, consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives?
(a) Judiciary Committee.
(c) The Presidential Cabinet.
3. What American political party was founded by anti-slavery expansion activists in 1854?
(a) The Republican Party.
(b) The Whig Party.
(c) The Tea Party.
(d) The Democratic Party.
4. What refers to the quality of having supreme, independent authority over a geographic area, such as a territory?
5. Who was the 12th President of the United States?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) Henry Clay.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Zachary Taylor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was James Buchanan born?
2. Eric Foner won the Bancroft Prize in 1989 for what book?
3. James K. Polk was born in what year?
4. Where was Eric Foner born?
5. What repelled the Missouri Compromise and gave the right of the citizens of new territories to choose whether they entered the Union as a slave or free state?
Short Essay Questions
1. What influences from Lincoln's childhood does the author attribute to his beliefs about slavery in Chapter 2?
2. What was significant about the 1856 presidential election for Lincoln's career?
3. Who was John C. Fremont? What relationship did Fremont have with Lincoln?
4. What is ironic about Abraham Lincoln's stance on slavery during the 1856 presidential elections, as discussed in Chapter 3?
5. What led to the debates between Lincoln and Douglas in Chapter 4? What was their impact?
6. When did Abraham Lincoln first become involved in the abolitionist movement, as discussed in Chapter 1?
7. How did Lincoln's political associations change in the 1850s? What party had he been affiliated with?
8. What was Lincoln's main aim in criticizing President Polk, as discussed in Chapter 2?
9. Who was Henry Clay? What beliefs did Clay hold regarding slavery?
10. What does the author relate of Lincoln's early childhood in Chapter 1? Where was Lincoln born?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)