|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the the Supreme Court hand down the Dred Scott Decision?
2. In what year did Lincoln give a speech denouncing America's new policy regarding slavery in new western territories, as described in Chapter 3?
3. What refers to a form of communication that is aimed at influencing the attitude of a community toward some cause or position so as to benefit oneself or one's group?
4. In what year did Dred Scott accompany his owners to Missouri?
5. To what political party did James K. Polk belong?
(a) The Democratic Party.
(b) The Whig Party.
(c) The Republican Party.
(d) The Free Soil Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was James Buchanan born?
2. In what year did the United States of America annex the Republic of Texas?
3. The Opinion of the Court in Dred Scott v. Sandford was written by what U.S. Chief Justice?
4. What was a political party of the United States during the era of Jacksonian democracy, and was operating from the early 1830s to the mid-1850s?
5. When did the Louisiana Purchase take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to the debates between Lincoln and Douglas in Chapter 4? What was their impact?
2. When did Abraham Lincoln first become involved in the abolitionist movement, as discussed in Chapter 1?
3. What does the author relate of Lincoln's early childhood in Chapter 1? Where was Lincoln born?
4. When was the Dred Scott Decision handed down from the Supreme Court? What did it declare?
5. What was significant about the 1856 presidential election for Lincoln's career?
6. What led to the split in the Democratic Party before the 1860 presidential election? What did Lincoln remark about this split?
7. How did Lincoln's political associations change in the 1850s? What party had he been affiliated with?
8. What intention does the author state in the Preface of "The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery"?
9. Where was Lincoln's income mostly derived in the 1840s? What does the author write about Lincoln's profession in Chapter 2?
10. What laws prevented equality between states of the North and South, as discussed in Chapter 1?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)