|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Lincoln give a speech denouncing America's new policy regarding slavery in new western territories, as described in Chapter 3?
2. The federal government had prohibited slavery within the Wisconsin Territory in the Missouri Compromise in what year?
3. To what state did Abraham Lincoln's family move when he was seven years old?
4. What refers to the quality of having supreme, independent authority over a geographic area, such as a territory?
5. The Dred Scott Decision was a ruling by the U.S. Supreme Court that people of African descent brought into the United States and held as slaves (or their descendants) were what?
(a) Freed men.
(b) Free to vote.
(c) Not protected by the Constitution.
(d) Protected by the Constitution.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many members comprise the U.S. House of Representatives?
2. When did the Louisiana Purchase take place?
3. As they campaigned for the Senate in 1858, Lincoln and his supporters decided to invite who to debate the issues?
4. What was the name of Abraham Lincoln's wife?
5. Britain abolished slavery throughout the British Empire with the Slavery Abolition Act in what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What issues within the abolitionist movement led to new debates at the end of Chapter 4?
2. Where was Lincoln's income mostly derived in the 1840s? What does the author write about Lincoln's profession in Chapter 2?
3. What was significant about the 1856 presidential election for Lincoln's career?
4. What was Lincoln's main aim in criticizing President Polk, as discussed in Chapter 2?
5. What is ironic about Abraham Lincoln's stance on slavery during the 1856 presidential elections, as discussed in Chapter 3?
6. What influences from Lincoln's childhood does the author attribute to his beliefs about slavery in Chapter 2?
7. When was the Dred Scott Decision handed down from the Supreme Court? What did it declare?
8. Who was Stephen A. Douglas? How did Douglas' views on slavery differ from Lincoln's?
9. What led to the split in the Democratic Party before the 1860 presidential election? What did Lincoln remark about this split?
10. How did the abolitionist movement evolve during Taylor's presidency, as discussed in Chapter 2?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)