|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Louisiana Purchase take place?
2. In what year did Abraham Lincoln assume the Presidency of the United States?
3. What was the name of John C. Fremont's mother?
(a) Elizabeth Anderson.
(b) Sarah Elizabeth Newton.
(c) Anne Jefferson Smith.
(d) Anne Beverly Whiting.
4. Abraham Lincoln was a member of what political party from the early part of his career until the 1850s?
(a) The Free Soil Party.
(b) The Democratic Party.
(c) The Republican Party.
(d) The Whig Party.
5. Illinois had prohibited slavery in its constitution in what year when it was admitted as a state?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Eric Foner born?
2. Who was the 14th President of the United States?
3. The Somersett's case in what year emancipated a slave in England and helped launch the movement to abolish slavery?
4. What was the 19th century American belief that the United States was destined to expand across the continent?
5. There are well documented trips Lincoln made down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers in both 1828 and what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author relate of Lincoln's early childhood in Chapter 1? Where was Lincoln born?
2. What was Lincoln's political involvement during the late 1840s? What notable speech did Lincoln give at this time?
3. What intention does the author state in the Preface of "The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery"?
4. How did the abolitionists go about promoting abolition in the beginning of their movement, as described in Chapter 1?
5. How did the abolitionist movement evolve during Taylor's presidency, as discussed in Chapter 2?
6. When was the Dred Scott Decision handed down from the Supreme Court? What did it declare?
7. What factions of the Republican Party did Lincoln clash with regarding the slavery issues in Chapter 3?
8. How did Lincoln's political associations change in the 1850s? What party had he been affiliated with?
9. Who was John C. Fremont? What relationship did Fremont have with Lincoln?
10. Describe Abraham Lincoln's most controversial court case discussed in Chapter 2. What was the outcome of the trial?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)