|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1820, the American Colonization Society began sending black volunteers where to establish a colony for freed American slaves?
(a) The Gulf Coast.
(b) The Gold Coast.
(c) The Humboldt Coast.
(d) The Pepper Coast.
2. In what year was John C. Breckinridge born?
3. The Treaty between the United States and Great Britain for the Suppression of the Slave Trade was also known as what?
(a) The Mason-Swift Treaty.
(b) The Trent Treaty.
(c) The Lyons-Seward Treaty.
(d) The Lincoln Treaty.
4. The Constitutional Union Party was made up primarily of former members of what political party?
(a) The Liberty Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Whig Party.
(d) The Democratic Party.
5. When was William H. Seward born?
6. What group in American politics of the 1860s were adherents of the Democratic Party who demanded a more aggressive policy toward the Confederacy and supported the policies of President Abraham Lincoln when the Civil War broke out?
(a) The Copperheads.
(b) War Democrats.
(c) The Free Soilers.
7. In what year did West Virginia abolish slavery?
8. What refers to a trend of thought that favors equality of some sort among moral agents, whether persons or animals?
9. To Lincoln,abolishing slavery in what state was the most important step because it was the only state in the South in which he attempted to apply his plan for Reconstruction as he had in Missouri and Tennessee?
10. The Constitutional Union Party was also known as what in the state of California?
(a) The Bell-Everett Party.
(b) The Liberty Party.
(c) The Free Soil Party.
(d) The Democratic Party.
11. When did Lincoln publish his Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) January 1, 1862.
(b) July 12, 1863.
(c) January 1, 1863.
(d) June 14, 1864.
12. What refers to the act of withdrawing from an organization, union, or especially a political entity?
13. When did the United States Civil War begin?
14. In the context of the American Civil War, what refers to slave states that did not declare their secession from the United States before April 1861?
(a) Middle states.
(b) Border states.
(c) The Confederacy.
(d) Undecided states.
15. What was an act of Congress during the early months of the American Civil War permitting the confiscation of any of property, including slaves, being used to support the Confederate insurrection?
(a) The Confiscation Act of 1865.
(b) The Confiscation Act of 1850.
(c) The Confiscation Act of 1881.
(d) The Confiscation Act of 1861.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who founded the abolitionist newspaper, The Liberator?
2. What state asked to be entered into the Union as a separate state, agreeing that all black children born after July 1863 would be free?
3. During the 1860 presidential campaign, Lincoln promoted the Republican Party as what kind of party, despite their views on slavery?
4. When did Abraham Lincoln first meet with Frederick Douglass?
5. Where was John C. Breckinridge born?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)