|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state had already mostly returned to Union control, so it was not named and was exempted from the Emancipation Proclamation?
2. The Emancipation Proclamation proclaimed the freedom of how many of the nation's slaves?
(a) 4.2 million.
(b) 6 million.
(c) 4 million.
(d) 3.1 million.
3. On what historic date did General Benjamin F. Butler decide not to send a group of escape slaves back to their owners?
(a) March 16, 1862.
(b) May 12, 1861.
(c) May 23, 1861.
(d) September 14, 1863.
4. What state was named in the Emancipation Proclamation, but exemptions were specified for the 48 counties then in the process of forming a new state?
5. When was Stephen A. Douglas born?
6. When did Abraham Lincoln first meet with Frederick Douglass?
(a) June, 1865.
(b) September, 1862.
(c) September, 1864.
(d) August, 1863.
7. When was William H. Seward born?
8. What term means to seize as forfeited to the public domain; appropriate, by way of penalty, for public use?
9. Lincoln's Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation offered gradual emancipation and what to border states and any states that returned voluntarily to the Union?
(c) The right to vote.
10. In what year was John C. Breckinridge born?
11. When was the American Colonization Society founded?
12. Who did Lincoln suggest was tearing apart the country instead of the Republicans during a speech in the 1860 presidential campaign?
(a) The Liberty Party.
(b) The North.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The South.
13. What were Europeans who participated in or supported the revolutions of 1848 that swept Europe called?
(b) The Copperheads.
(d) War Democrats.
14. In what year did Maryland abolish slavery?
15. When was Congress called to special session in which a bill was passed declaring the war had nothing to do with slavery but was being fought in order to preserve the Constitution?
(a) July, 1861.
(b) October, 1862.
(c) June, 1860.
(d) September, 1862.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was a Confederate general during the American Civil War, and one of the best-known Confederate commanders after General Robert E. Lee?
2. When did Lincoln introduce legislation to Congress for gradual emancipation of the slaves in the border states, but the measure failed?
3. The Constitutional Union Party was also known as what in the state of California?
4. Where was General Benjamin F. Butler assigned when he decided not to send a group of escape slaves back to their owners?
5. When did Lincoln publish his Emancipation Proclamation?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)