|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Lincoln issue a Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) September, 1862.
(b) September, 1861.
(c) July, 1862.
(d) October, 1863.
2. Lincoln's Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation stated that the South had until what date to return to Union or face the freeing of their slaves immediately?
(a) October 1, 1864.
(b) September 14, 1862.
(c) January 1, 1863.
(d) January 1, 1862.
3. In what year did West Virginia abolish slavery?
4. When did Lincoln publish his Emancipation Proclamation?
(a) January 1, 1863.
(b) June 14, 1864.
(c) January 1, 1862.
(d) July 12, 1863.
5. When was Frederick Douglass born?
6. Who founded the abolitionist newspaper, The Liberator?
(a) Martin Van Buren.
(b) John P. Hale.
(c) William Lloyd Garrison.
(d) David Ruggles.
7. What was the name of a major command of the United States Army during the 19th century which oversaw the military affairs in the country west of the Mississippi River to the borders of California and Oregon?
(a) Northwest Department.
(b) Department of the West.
(c) Department of the Mississippi.
(d) Northwest Organization.
8. What was a government set up from 1861 to 1865 by Southern slave states of the United States of America that had declared their secession from the US?
(a) The Union of America.
(b) The Confederate States of America.
(c) The Lower Confederacy.
(d) The Rebel Forces of America.
9. What candidate was presented by the Constitutional Union Party in the 1860 presidential election?
(a) Zachary Taylor.
(b) John C. Bell.
(c) James Anderson.
(d) John P. Hale.
10. Abraham Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation under his authority as what under Article II, section 2 of the United States Constitution?
(b) "Commander in Chief."
(c) "Sovereign Body."
11. Where was John C. Breckinridge born?
12. The Battle of Antietam was fought on what date?
(a) November 12, 1860.
(b) September 17, 1862.
(c) October 11, 1860.
(d) September 12, 1863.
13. To Lincoln,abolishing slavery in what state was the most important step because it was the only state in the South in which he attempted to apply his plan for Reconstruction as he had in Missouri and Tennessee?
14. What term means to seize as forfeited to the public domain; appropriate, by way of penalty, for public use?
15. When did Lincoln publicly relieve John C. Fremont of command?
(a) September 14, 1875.
(b) October 15, 1862.
(c) July, 12, 1862.
(d) November 2, 1861.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname did Stephen A. Douglas have in politics?
2. When was the abolitionist newspaper, The Liberator, founded?
3. The Emancipation Proclamation did not pertain to the slaves in the border states, leaving nearly how many people in bondage?
4. Where was John C. Fremont commanding forces during the war and freeing the slaves of rebels whom he executed?
5. In what year did Maryland abolish slavery?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)