|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eric Foner won the Bancroft Prize in 1989 for what book?
(a) A House Divided: America in the Age of Lincoln.
(b) Reconstruction: America's Unfinished Revolution, 1863-1877.
(c) America's Black Past: A Reader in Afro-American History.
(d) The Story of American Freedom.
2. Who was the eighth President of the United States?
(a) Zachary Taylor.
(b) John P. Hale.
(c) Martin Van Buren.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
3. In what year did U.S. Army Major John Emerson purchase Dred Scott?
4. In what year did Abraham Lincoln present his House Divided speech?
5. When was Henry Clay born?
6. In the wake of the Dred Scot decision, President Buchanan declared that slavery existed in all states under the Constitution and tried to bring what state in as a slave state?
7. Illinois had prohibited slavery in its constitution in what year when it was admitted as a state?
8. Eric Foner has been a member of the faculty of the Department of History at what university since 1982?
(a) Rutgers University.
(b) Columbia University.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Harvard University.
9. What refers to laws passed by the United States Congress in 1793 and 1850 to provide for the return of slaves who escaped from one state into another state or territory?
(a) Confiscation laws.
(b) The Black Codes.
(c) The Border Laws.
(d) Fugitive slave laws.
10. The federal government had prohibited slavery within the Wisconsin Territory in the Missouri Compromise in what year?
11. Britain abolished slavery throughout the British Empire with the Slavery Abolition Act in what year?
12. Where did Lincoln make a speech in Springfield that included a discussion on the violence that surrounded the abolitionist movement in Chapter 1?
(a) The Center for Policy.
(b) The Philadelphia Museum.
(c) The New York Museum.
(d) The Young Men's Lyceum.
13. When was Abraham Lincoln born?
14. In 2000, Eric Foner was elected president of what organization?
(a) The American Historical Association.
(b) The Pennsylvania Historical Association.
(c) The Historical Association of New Hampshire.
(d) The Chicago Historical Association.
15. When did the Louisiana Purchase take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ran for the Free Soil Party in the 1852 presidential election?
2. What was a political party of the United States during the era of Jacksonian democracy, and was operating from the early 1830s to the mid-1850s?
3. When did the the Supreme Court hand down the Dred Scott Decision?
4. When did the Mexican-American War end?
5. Who was the 14th President of the United States?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)