|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Latin for a statement "said in passing"?
(a) Obiter dictum.
(b) Umber dictum.
(c) Salovar dictum.
(d) Reiter dictum.
2. What was a minor political party in the United States in the 1840s which was an early advocate of the abolitionist cause?
(a) The Free Soil Party.
(b) The Whig Party.
(c) The Liberty Party.
(d) The Green Party.
3. Henry Clay represented what state in both the Senate and the House of Representatives?
4. Slavery had been prohibited in Indiana and Illinois since what year?
5. What was the 19th century American belief that the United States was destined to expand across the continent?
(a) Congressional Duty.
(b) Manifest Destiny.
(c) Sovereign Duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Abraham Lincoln when his family moved to Illinois?
2. In what year did U.S. Army Major John Emerson purchase Dred Scott?
3. What refers to laws passed by the United States Congress in 1793 and 1850 to provide for the return of slaves who escaped from one state into another state or territory?
4. Who was the 14th President of the United States?
5. In what year did Abraham Lincoln present his House Divided speech?
This section contains 198 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)