|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Mexican-American War end?
2. When was the abolitionist newspaper, The Liberator, founded?
3. Lincoln's Preliminary Emancipation Proclamation stated that the South had until what date to return to Union or face the freeing of their slaves immediately?
(a) September 14, 1862.
(b) October 1, 1864.
(c) January 1, 1862.
(d) January 1, 1863.
4. When was the American Colonization Society founded?
5. Where did Lincoln make a speech in Springfield that included a discussion on the violence that surrounded the abolitionist movement in Chapter 1?
(a) The New York Museum.
(b) The Young Men's Lyceum.
(c) The Center for Policy.
(d) The Philadelphia Museum.
Short Answer Questions
1. In January 1862, what Republican leader in the House called for total war against the rebellion to include emancipation of slaves, arguing that emancipation, by forcing the loss of enslaved labor, would ruin the rebel economy?
2. Who was an anti-slavery activist who was active in the New York Committee of Vigilance and the Underground Railroad and helped Frederick Douglass escape to freedom?
3. To what political party did James K. Polk belong?
4. Eric Foner has been a member of the faculty of the Department of History at what university since 1982?
5. When was the Republican Party founded in the United States?
This section contains 225 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)