Preface and Chapter 1
• In the Preface, the author expresses his intention with this book to show the reader Lincoln's growing and changing opinions of slavery throughout his life.
• Chapter 1 shows that Lincoln was born in Kentucky in 1809; when Lincoln was seven, his family moved to southwestern Indiana, where he would live until he was twenty-one.
• Slavery was legal in Kentucky but had been prohibited in Indiana and Illinois since 1787, due to the Northwestern Ordinance.
• There are well documented trips Lincoln made down the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers in both 1828 and 1831, during which he saw and commented on slaves.
• In the late 1700s and early 1800s, slavery ended in many countries around the world including Great Britain, although it continued to exist in smaller territories.
• In the United States, most of the northern states outlawed slavery in their own states, although some of them limited this abolition of...
This section contains 2,357 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)