|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what phrase in the poem does Jared wonder?
(a) Down and down and down again.
(b) Through and through and through again.
(c) Up and up and up again.
(d) Back and back and back again.
2. About what possible relative does Jared ask?
(a) His maternal aunt Mallory.
(b) A great-great grandfather named Simon.
(c) A relative named Arthur.
(d) His maternal uncle named Jared.
3. What is Helen Grace's biggest concern about Jared's activities that morning?
(a) That he could get in trouble for trespassing into the abandoned building.
(b) That he could fall out of the tall sycamore with the large hole in it.
(c) She is not concerned as she knows Jared can take care of himself.
(d) That he could fall through the floor of the attic.
4. Where is there a large hole where Jared goes?
(a) Where a window is broken in the basement.
(b) Opposite end from the suitcase.
(c) In the tree trunk about thirty feet up.
(d) In the road on the way to town.
5. What do Brownies become when they get mad?
(a) All puffed up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Mallory bruised?
2. What happened to the bowl Jared had set out?
3. What is Jared talking about as Simon is wanting to sleep?
4. Why is there tension among Mallory, Jared and Simon?
5. What is missing from the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jared's mother feel about him going to the attic?
2. What wakes Jared in the morning, where does he run, what does he see and who else is there with him?
3. What does Jared ask their mother about Arthur and what is her reply?
4. What does Jared's mother say to him about his anger?
5. What does Jared ultimately find in the trunk?
6. What does Jared point out in the kitchen and what happens to his evidence?
7. How does Mrs. Grace feel when she wakes up Jared in the morning and what does she show him?
8. What is the most upsetting thing about the problems downstairs and what does Jared's mother accuse him of concerning Simon's mice?
9. What phrase is Jared thinking about in the poem, and where does he decide to go?
10. What does Simon look at that Jared shows him and what does he wonder?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)