|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jared say his life started going bad?
(a) When his best friend moved away.
(b) When he entered seventh grade.
(c) When his father moved out.
(d) When his father died.
2. What startled Jared awake the first night?
(a) The hinges on his bedroom door creaking.
(b) Simon yelling at him.
(c) The window blowing open.
(d) Something walking across his bed.
3. Where did he get the animals in question #36?
(a) In their bathroom.
(b) Out of Mrs. Levette's apartment.
(c) In the storeroom in the basement of their old place.
(d) In the woods.
4. What was poked in the wood in the walls that resembled a snake?
(a) Straight pins.
5. What did Jared not want to admit to his siblings about the sound he heard?
(a) That it could be a ghost.
(b) That he was going to run away from this awful house.
(c) That it could be dangerous.
(d) That it was all in his imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was strung up like garland in the wall?
2. How does Jared get upstairs on the dumbwaiter?
3. What did Jared think he probably heard?
4. With what does Simon have the dressers covered?
5. Besides an Olympic fencer, what does Jared think his sister Mallory might do when she grows up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the poem that Jared found contain and what does he hear as he is thinking about it?
2. What does Jared recall about the events in his life since his parents' divorce and what does his mother suggest to him about their new home?
3. What does Mallory do to the wall in the kitchen and what does she see?
4. What does the front door of the Graces' new home look like?
5. What does the note at the beginning of the book say, and what does the book store clerk give the authors? What is the authors' response?
6. What is the additional worry about the Graces' new home?
7. What does Jared see when he gets out of the dumbwaiter?
8. How does Jared get back downstairs?
9. What does Mallory decide to do the first night in the kitchen and where is her mother?
10. What is the painting Jared sees in the little room on the second floor?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)