|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What startled Jared awake the first night?
(a) The hinges on his bedroom door creaking.
(b) The window blowing open.
(c) Simon yelling at him.
(d) Something walking across his bed.
2. What was sitting on top of the roof of the new home besides chimneys.
(b) A huge tree branch.
(c) An old iron fence.
(d) A weather vane shaped like a dolphin.
3. What do the Grace children claim about their book?
(a) It identifies faeries and gives ways to protect from them.
(b) It was written a thousand years ago.
(c) It was found in a faery mound near their house.
(d) It shows how to hypnotize a faery.
4. What was on the note Jared found?
(a) A riddle in the form of a poem.
(b) Drawings of a boggart.
(c) Directions to a faerie mound.
(d) The phone number to the insane asylum.
5. What did Simon's mother pretend not to notice about what he brought?
(a) That he brought fifteen animals.
(b) That he brought many of his father's books.
(c) He had brought the animals she told him to leave.
(d) That he brought his father's stereo equipment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of wallpaper was in some of the house?
2. What sat on the end of the desk that had berries, dried plants and river rocks in them?
3. How does Jared get upstairs on the dumbwaiter?
4. Why does Mrs. Grace come downstairs?
5. What does Jared show Mallory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jared see when he hears a noise and how does he lose his light?
2. What does Mallory do to the wall in the kitchen and what does she see?
3. What do the children think about who might be in the wall and what does Mallory hear in the dumbwaiter?
4. What does their mother make Mallory do with the dumbwaiter and how can Jared see where he is?
5. What does Mrs. Grace say about the previous resident of their new home?
6. What does Jared recall about the events in his life since his parents' divorce and what does his mother suggest to him about their new home?
7. How is Jared feeling when he comes back downstairs, what does Mallory tell him and how does their mother hear them? What does their mother tell the children?
8. Why are Simon and Jared sharing a bedroom?
9. What does Mallory say about their new home, why does Jared think it will be good for Simon and what does he think of the home as far as he is concerned?
10. What does Jared see the first night when he is startled awake?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)