|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jared see when he sat up after he was awoken?
(a) A figure dressed in white.
(b) A mouse running across the floor.
(c) Simon standing by the window.
(d) A white owl on the window sill.
2. What does Simon ask his mother about having to stay in his room?
(a) What if they have to go to the bathroom?
(b) What is they see a ghost?
(c) What if they get scared?
(d) What is they get thirsty?
3. What did Jared think he probably heard?
(a) His mother pulling a chair in the living room.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) The wind across the roof.
(d) Simon playing a joke.
4. What did Jared do to block out the noise in the house?
(a) Play his music loud.
(b) Cover his head with a pillow.
(c) Put in ear plugs.
(d) Shut his bedroom door.
5. What was on the note Jared found?
(a) The phone number to the insane asylum.
(b) A riddle in the form of a poem.
(c) Drawings of a boggart.
(d) Directions to a faerie mound.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jared's mother say she is going to do if she finds the children wandering the house again?
2. What sat on the end of the desk that had berries, dried plants and river rocks in them?
3. In what do Holly and Tony both have an interest?
4. What did Simon's mother pretend not to notice about what he brought?
5. What does Mallory stack on top of a steamer trunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the dumbwaiter approaches the second floor?
2. What is the additional worry about the Graces' new home?
3. What does Jared see when he gets out of the dumbwaiter?
4. How does Mallory feel when she sees her fencing medal and what does she do?
5. What does their mother make Mallory do with the dumbwaiter and how can Jared see where he is?
6. What does Jared see when he hears a noise and how does he lose his light?
7. Why are Simon and Jared sharing a bedroom?
8. What does Jared recall about the events in his life since his parents' divorce and what does his mother suggest to him about their new home?
9. What kind of books does Jared see in the second floor room?
10. What does the front door of the Graces' new home look like?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)