|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jared's mother ask him?
(a) Where the serving silver is.
(b) What he did with Simon's mice.
(c) Why he broke her favorite bowl.
(d) Why he misses his dad so much.
2. What does Jared think he is dealing with as far as what attacked Mallory?
(a) A Boggart.
(b) A sylvan.
(c) An elf.
(d) A Shappart.
3. What intensifies Helen Grace's concerns about Jared's morning activities?
(a) That he did not do his home study lesson plans before going out.
(b) Jared has epilepsy and could have an attack while climbing.
(c) Jared is not as atheletic as Mallory or Simon and is too clumsy to climb high trees.
(d) Her thoughts about his possible culpability concerning Mallory's hair and bruises.
4. What does Jared think may be in a trunk he finds?
(a) A body.
5. Where does Jared decide to go?
(a) The attic.
(b) To climb the highest tree in the yard.
(c) The basement.
(d) To the town.
6. About what phrase in the poem does Jared wonder?
(a) Up and up and up again.
(b) Back and back and back again.
(c) Down and down and down again.
(d) Through and through and through again.
7. In general, what is the supposed nature of Brownies?
8. What does Simon admire as he and Jared are in their room that night?
(a) His butterfly collection.
(b) His pet mice.
(c) His bone collection.
(d) His arrowhead collection.
9. What shocks Helen Grace about her conversation with Jared?
(a) That Jared asks some very mature questions for his age.
(b) That he found out about the word Spiderwick in the attic.
(c) That Jared believes his great-great grandfather is still alive.
(d) That Jared thinks his mom is hiding something from them.
10. What do Brownies become when they get mad?
(c) All puffed up.
11. What is missing from the house?
(a) The gold coins in the office.
(b) Mallory's fencing blade.
(c) The secret books.
(d) Simon's pet mice.
12. What does Simon believe about Jared?
(a) That he is guilty but has a good reason.
(b) That he is the worse brother one could have.
(c) Simon has not opinion yet about Jared's actions.
(d) That he is not guilty.
13. What happened to the bowl Jared had set out?
(a) It is in the front yard.
(b) It is in the oven.
(c) It has disappeared.
(d) It is broken.
14. What does Jared think is possible about the book?
(a) It is not meant to be a serious treatise.
(b) It is the only copy in existence.
(c) It was written by his great-great grandfather.
(d) It is one of just a few of its kind.
15. What is the significance of the word Spiderwick?
(a) Helen Grace does not know the word.
(b) It is great-aunt Lucinda's maiden name.
(c) It is the name of a cave where Helen Grace and her brother Jared used to play.
(d) It is the name of the old family estate about 70 miles from there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon say Jared better do at night?
2. What does Jared have to do before he can finish his tracking efforts?
3. Who does Helen Grace suspect is involved in the Mallory episode?
4. How is the children's mother acting as she serves the meal?
5. What does Jared's mother suspect?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)