|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is missing from the house?
(a) Simon's pet mice.
(b) The gold coins in the office.
(c) Mallory's fencing blade.
(d) The secret books.
2. How is the book illustrated?
(a) Watercolor pictures.
(b) Ink drawings.
(c) There are no illustrations.
(d) Photographs are pasted on the pages.
3. How is the children's mother acting as she serves the meal?
4. Why does Jared put milk out in the kitchen in a bowl on the floor.
(a) To feed the cat.
(b) To tranquilize the dog.
(c) To offer the boggart.
(d) To tranquilize the boggart.
5. What does Mallory think about what is on the floor?
(a) That a mouse made the tracks.
(b) She says they are not tracks.
(c) That Jared made the tracks.
(d) That the dead rat made the tracks before it died.
6. What do Simon and Mallory exchange?
(a) A strange glance.
7. What does Jared's mom recall about Jared's school days?
(a) The violent fights he participated in.
(b) The fact that the teachers always say he is a daydreamer.
(c) The high grades Jared always received.
(d) The times Jared's father would go and watch Jared's ball games.
8. What does Simon believe about Jared?
(a) That he is the worse brother one could have.
(b) That he is not guilty.
(c) Simon has not opinion yet about Jared's actions.
(d) That he is guilty but has a good reason.
9. What does a note say that the children find?
(a) Beware of the mandersnatcher.
(b) There is no note.
(c) Meet by the old sycamore at midnight.
(d) It's not nice to ice the mice.
10. What does Jared suggest about a poem?
(a) It might provide a clue as to what happened to Mallory.
(b) It is a red herring.
(c) It was written by their great-uncle.
(d) It was planted intentionally.
11. Why is Simon crying?
(a) He tripped down the stairs and twisted his ankle.
(b) He has bruises on his arm.
(c) Mallory beat him again in fencing.
(d) His cat is missing.
12. What does the field guide suggest ways to track?
(a) A white owl.
(b) An elf.
(c) A sylvan.
(d) A boggart.
13. What has strange words from newspaper clippings?
(a) The weird nest the children found.
(b) The back pages of the Field Guide.
(c) The ice around the tadpoles.
(d) The flour on the floor of the kitchen.
14. What is one reason might the creature be bothering Mallory?
(a) Because Jared found the book.
(b) Because the children do not believe in it.
(c) Because the Grace children have invaded its space.
(d) Because Jared disturbed the tree in the yard.
15. What does Jared realize about a chest?
(a) It could be alive.
(b) It could belong to any animal.
(c) It could be a man's torso.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simon say Jared better do at night?
2. What does Jared spread on the floor of the kitchen?
3. What is splashed on the walls?
4. What does Jared think he is dealing with as far as what attacked Mallory?
5. About what is Simon talking at the table?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)