|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What horrifies Don Jamie about the stab wound?
2. What is inside Don Jaime's new walking stick?
3. What has happened to Carceles?
4. Who does Campillo say is the only link to the murders?
5. Who did Dona Adela arrange for the two thugs to kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime decide to use a pistol in this section?
2. What decision does Don Jaime make when he finds Carceles gone?
3. Summarize this section.
4. What dangers does Don Jaime find in Carceles' residence?
5. How do Don Jaime's feelings about Dona Adela change when he sees her dead body?
6. How does Carceles react to reading the file?
7. What does Don Jaime see at the morgue?
8. What does Dona Adela say has been Don Jaime's problem throughout?
9. Why does Dona Adela say Don Jaime didn't understand the file?
10. What reasons does Don Jaime have for protecting Dona Adela?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference does it make to the ideas that the author is trying to convey that he sets the story in the 1860s rather than contemporary society? What do you think his reason was for doing this? Could he convey the same point just as effectively within a contemporary setting?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
What was happening during the 1860s? How is different is today's Spain to what it was then? How does the author make a story set in the 1860s relevant to modern readers?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)