|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police say have been taken from Don Jaime's safes?
2. How does Don Jaime hurt the second man?
3. Where does Don Jaime find Carceles?
4. Why did the man ask the woman to help him with the file?
5. Why is Dona Adela confused that Don Jaime did not understand the file?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at three in the morning in this section?
2. Why does Don Jaime to ask Carceles to read the file?
3. What does Don Jaime see at the morgue?
4. What decision does Don Jaime make when he finds Carceles gone?
5. Why does Don Jaime decide to use a pistol in this section?
6. Why does Don Jaime think Dona Adela could be the murderer?
7. Summarize this section.
8. What information does Campillo say he has about Dona Adela's death?
9. Summarize this section?
10. In what way is Don Jaime already deeply involved in the murder case?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Don Jaime consider fencing an art? What would he think about the position of fencing in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1860s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Don Jaime's obsession with fencing shield him from every day life? In what ways is this obsession both a strength and weakness?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)