|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime say he involved Carceles?
2. What does Dona Ardela ask for when Don Jaime asks for the identity of the dead woman?
3. Where does Don Jaime find Carceles?
4. Who does Carceles think is talking to him instead of Don Jaime?
5. What is the name of Don Adela's maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime think Dona Adela could be the murderer?
2. Why does Dona Adela say Don Jaime didn't understand the file?
3. What does the cafe owner tell Don Jaime about the current situation in Spain?
4. Why does Don Jaime decide not to flee?
5. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
6. What danger is Don Jaime now in?
7. What reasons does Don Jaime have for protecting Dona Adela?
8. How does Carceles react to reading the file?
9. What happens at three in the morning in this section?
10. What can Don Jaime understand from the file?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1860s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Don Jaime consider fencing an art? What would he think about the position of fencing in today's society?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)