|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Don Jaime does when Dona Adela enters the room?
2. What horrifies Don Jamie about the stab wound?
3. What did the new man in the woman's life ask for in return for helping her?
4. Who does Adela claim tried to blackmail her?
5. Why did the man ask the woman to help him with the file?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime decide to use a pistol in this section?
2. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
3. What information does Campillo say he has about Dona Adela's death?
4. Why does Don Jaime decide not to flee?
5. Why does Dona Adela say Don Jaime didn't understand the file?
6. What does the cafe owner tell Don Jaime about the current situation in Spain?
7. What dangers does Don Jaime find in Carceles' residence?
8. How does Carceles react to reading the file?
9. What danger is Don Jaime now in?
10. What does Dona Adela say has been Don Jaime's problem throughout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 2
What was happening during the 1860s? How is different is today's Spain to what it was then? How does the author make a story set in the 1860s relevant to modern readers?
Essay Topic 3
How did Don Jaime become a fencing master? What has fencing taught Don Jaime about life?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)