|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime say he involved Carceles?
2. Who is the first person to arrive after the attackers flee?
3. What is the name of Don Adela's maid?
4. Whose voice does Don Jaime recognize outside his door?
5. Who does the policeman say has sent him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can Don Jaime understand from the file?
2. Why does Don Jaime decide to use a pistol in this section?
3. What happens at three in the morning in this section?
4. Why id Don Jaime so horrified about what has happened to Don Luis?
5. What does Dona Adela say has been Don Jaime's problem throughout?
6. In what way is Don Jaime already deeply involved in the murder case?
7. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
8. What decision does Don Jaime make when he finds Carceles gone?
9. Summarize this section.
10. Why does Dona Adela say Don Jaime didn't understand the file?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference does it make to the ideas that the author is trying to convey that he sets the story in the 1860s rather than contemporary society? What do you think his reason was for doing this? Could he convey the same point just as effectively within a contemporary setting?
Essay Topic 2
How does Don Jaime's obsession with fencing shield him from every day life? In what ways is this obsession both a strength and weakness?
Essay Topic 3
What does the story express about Spanish society during the 1860s? How does the author use the setting to also express contemporary concerns?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)