|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at three in the morning?
2. What is the name of the Chief of Police?
3. Why is Dona Adela confused that Don Jaime did not understand the file?
4. Who does Carceles think is talking to him instead of Don Jaime?
5. Why does Don Jaime say he involved Carceles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Don Jaime make when he finds Carceles gone?
2. Why does Don Jaime to ask Carceles to read the file?
3. What danger is Don Jaime now in?
4. What dangers does Don Jaime find in Carceles' residence?
5. What does Dona Adela say has been Don Jaime's problem throughout?
6. Summarize this section?
7. What does Don Jaime see at the morgue?
8. What does Dona Adela tell Don Jaime about her ex-lover?
9. What reasons does Don Jaime have for protecting Dona Adela?
10. Why id Don Jaime so horrified about what has happened to Don Luis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could Don Jaime be called naive? How has Don Jaime's naivety effected his decisions in the story? Do the students think his naivety to blame for the deaths of his friends? What do the students think Don Jaime has learned from the events in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1860s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)