|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dona Adela confused that Don Jaime did not understand the file?
2. Where does the policeman say they are going?
3. What is the time of day when Don Jaime leaves the police station?
4. What does Don Jaime do before he refills his coffee and sits and waits?
5. Why does Don Jaime think Dona Adela could be responsible for killing Don Luis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What dangers does Don Jaime find in Carceles' residence?
2. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
3. Why did Dona Adela kill Don Luis?
4. How does Carceles react to reading the file?
5. Why does Don Jaime think Dona Adela could be the murderer?
6. How do Don Jaime's feelings about Dona Adela change when he sees her dead body?
7. How does Don Jaime prepare for the arrival of his attackers?
8. What does Dona Adela tell Don Jaime about her ex-lover?
9. Summarize this section.
10. What does Dona Adela say has been Don Jaime's problem throughout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could Don Jaime be called naive? How has Don Jaime's naivety effected his decisions in the story? Do the students think his naivety to blame for the deaths of his friends? What do the students think Don Jaime has learned from the events in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What does the story express about Spanish society during the 1860s? How does the author use the setting to also express contemporary concerns?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)