|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens at three in the morning?
2. What does Don Jaime think that Dona Ardela intends to do if he doesn't hand over the document?
3. What is Dona Adela's purpose for her visit?
4. Where does Don Jaime find the missing letter?
5. Who does Don Jaime thinks he sees watching him in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime decide to use a pistol in this section?
2. Summarize this section.
3. How does Carceles react to reading the file?
4. Why id Don Jaime so horrified about what has happened to Don Luis?
5. What danger is Don Jaime now in?
6. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
7. Why does Dona Adela say Don Jaime didn't understand the file?
8. Why does Don Jaime think Dona Adela could be the murderer?
9. What information does Campillo say he has about Dona Adela's death?
10. What does the cafe owner tell Don Jaime about the current situation in Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the following terms;
1. Compound attack.
2. The short lunge.
How does the author use the fencing terms as part of the narrative structure?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)