|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Campilo ask is Don Luis ever discussed with him?
2. What did the new man in the woman's life ask for in return for helping her?
3. Why did the man ask the woman to help him with the file?
4. What does Dona Adela plead Don Jaime not to do?
5. Who does Campillo ask Don Jaime if he knows?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Campilo's opinion of Don Jaime and the way he has acted?
2. Why does Dona Adela say Don Jaime didn't understand the file?
3. Why id Don Jaime so horrified about what has happened to Don Luis?
4. How does Don Jaime prepare for the arrival of his attackers?
5. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
6. Why does Don Jaime think Dona Adela could be the murderer?
7. What happens at three in the morning in this section?
8. What does the cafe owner tell Don Jaime about the current situation in Spain?
9. What dangers does Don Jaime find in Carceles' residence?
10. Why does Don Jaime decide not to flee?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
How did Don Jaime become a fencing master? What has fencing taught Don Jaime about life?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)