|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime say he didn't disclose the truth to the police?
2. What was the stab made by?
3. What does Don Jaime feel when he thinks about his dead friends?
4. Who is the first person to arrive after the attackers flee?
5. What is the first thing Don Jaime does when Dona Adela enters the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize this section?
2. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
3. What can Don Jaime understand from the file?
4. What stops Don Jaime from feeling afraid?
5. What dangers does Don Jaime find in Carceles' residence?
6. In what way is Don Jaime already deeply involved in the murder case?
7. What is Campilo's opinion of Don Jaime and the way he has acted?
8. How do Don Jaime's feelings about Dona Adela change when he sees her dead body?
9. What danger is Don Jaime now in?
10. What decision does Don Jaime make when he finds Carceles gone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the role of women in 1860s Spain? In what way is the feminism discourse relate to contemporary issues?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)