|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside Don Jaime's new walking stick?
2. What does Don Jaime say he is determined not to do?
3. What does Don Adela say the woman did when she broke up with her lover?
4. Where does Don Jaime head to at the end of this section?
5. What does Don Jaime remember happened when he picked up the file?
Essay Topic 1
What does the story express about Spanish society during the 1860s? How does the author use the setting to also express contemporary concerns?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could Don Jaime be called naive? How has Don Jaime's naivety effected his decisions in the story? Do the students think his naivety to blame for the deaths of his friends? What do the students think Don Jaime has learned from the events in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)