|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dona Adela confused that Don Jaime did not understand the file?
2. What does Campillo offer Don Jaime?
3. What bad news does Don Jaime receive at the end of this section?
4. How did Don Luis die?
5. Why does Campillo say he is surprised that Don Jaime survived the attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way is Don Jaime already deeply involved in the murder case?
2. What is Campilo's opinion of Don Jaime and the way he has acted?
3. Summarize this section?
4. Why does Don Jaime decide to use a pistol in this section?
5. What can Don Jaime understand from the file?
6. Why does Don Jaime decide not to flee?
7. What reasons does Don Jaime have for protecting Dona Adela?
8. What information does Campillo say he has about Dona Adela's death?
9. What does the cafe owner tell Don Jaime about the current situation in Spain?
10. What does Dona Adela say has been Don Jaime's problem throughout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the following terms;
1. Compound attack.
2. The short lunge.
How does the author use the fencing terms as part of the narrative structure?
Essay Topic 2
How has Don Jaime's past effected the person we meet in the book? In what way could it be said that his past is responsible for some of his negative actions in the story? How does what happen in the story help Don Jaime to face up to his past?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)