|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Don Jaime troubled by thoughts of Dona Adela?
2. Where city did Don Jaime settle in after leaving the army?
3. What do Don Jaime and the Marquis always drink after their bout?
4. Why does Don Jaime leave the cafe early?
5. Who does Don Jaime say is not a gentleman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
2. What is Don Jaime's opinion on God?
3. Describe Luis de Ayala.
4. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
5. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
6. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
7. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
8. What is masculine about Adela Otero?
9. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
10. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the story express about Spanish society during the 1860s? How does the author use the setting to also express contemporary concerns?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Don Jaime's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Don Jaime hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Don Jaime ideas about life?
3. How has Don Jaime's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)