|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime think modern views of fencing diminish its value?
2. Who dies at the end of this section?
3. What does Don Jaime say he balances his loneliness with?
4. How does Don Jaime react to Romero's declaration that he is love with a married woman?
5. What does Don Luis want Don Jaime to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Jaime react to Romero's depression over his unrequited love for the married woman?
2. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
3. What favor does Don Jaime agree to do for Don Luis in this section?
4. Describe the room in which Don Jaime waits for Adela Otero.
5. How does Dona Adela meet Don Luis in this section?
6. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
7. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
8. What is Don Jaime's opinion on God?
9. What is the only thing that Don Jaime knows about Dona Adela's private life?
10. Why isn't the Marquis at his best?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Don Jaime's obsession with fencing shield him from every day life? In what ways is this obsession both a strength and weakness?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)