|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Romero say also shares Don Jaime's views about the Catholic Church?
2. Who dies at the end of this section?
3. Who is Espartero always quoting?
4. What was the name of the school Don Jaime graduated from as a fencing master?
5. What does Don Luis want Don Jaime to do for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
2. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
3. How does Don Jaime react to Romero's depression over his unrequited love for the married woman?
4. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
5. What favor does Don Jaime agree to do for Don Luis in this section?
6. What does Don Jaime about his loneliness?
7. What is masculine about Adela Otero?
8. How does Don Jaime anger Dona Adela during the first bout?
9. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
10. What is Don Jaime's opinion on God?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference does it make to the ideas that the author is trying to convey that he sets the story in the 1860s rather than contemporary society? What do you think his reason was for doing this? Could he convey the same point just as effectively within a contemporary setting?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Don Jaime's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Don Jaime hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Don Jaime ideas about life?
3. How has Don Jaime's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Don Jaime become a fencing master? What has fencing taught Don Jaime about life?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)