|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Espartero always quoting?
2. Why is Don Jaime troubled by thoughts of Dona Adela?
3. Who dies at the end of this section?
4. Why does Jaime think Romero should take action?
5. What does Don Jaime call his search for the perfect thrust?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops Don Jaime from feeling afraid?
2. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
3. Why does Don Jaime decide not to flee?
4. What does the cafe owner tell Don Jaime about the current situation in Spain?
5. What can Don Jaime understand from the file?
6. What dangers does Don Jaime find in Carceles' residence?
7. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
8. What decision does Don Jaime make when he finds Carceles gone?
9. Describe Luis de Ayala.
10. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Don Jaime consider fencing an art? What would he think about the position of fencing in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Define the following terms;
1. Compound attack.
2. The short lunge.
How does the author use the fencing terms as part of the narrative structure?
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)