|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Don Luis think much of Don Jaime's personal philosophy comes from?
2. What does Adela always do when she gets changed?
3. Where does Don Jaime go for breakfast?
4. Who dies at the end of this section?
5. What law does Don Jaime realize has been declared when he sees the soldiers on his way to the cafe?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
2. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
3. How does Don Jaime react to Romero's depression over his unrequited love for the married woman?
4. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
5. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
6. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
7. What is Don Jaime's opinion on God?
8. What is masculine about Adela Otero?
9. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
10. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1860s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What were the role of women in 1860s Spain? In what way is the feminism discourse relate to contemporary issues?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)