|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Jaime hate to hear fencing be called?
2. Who does Romero say is against violence?
3. What method does Don Jaime teach?
4. Why does Don Luis say he chose Don Jaime to hide the file?
5. Why did Don Jaime fight the second duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
2. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
3. What is masculine about Adela Otero?
4. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
5. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
6. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
7. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
8. What is the only thing that Don Jaime knows about Dona Adela's private life?
9. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
10. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Don Jaime consider fencing an art? What would he think about the position of fencing in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What was happening during the 1860s? How is different is today's Spain to what it was then? How does the author make a story set in the 1860s relevant to modern readers?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)