|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime say he took Dona Adela on?
2. What does Don Jaime think the artifacts in his fencing gallery are symbols of?
3. Which member of the discussion group says he hopes for a civil war?
4. What was the name of Don Jaime's old fencing master?
5. Why does Don Luis say he chose Don Jaime to hide the file?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
2. How does Adela Otero convince her to fence?
3. How does Don Jaime anger Dona Adela during the first bout?
4. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
5. How does Dona make Don Jaime uncomfortable in this section?
6. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
7. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
8. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
9. Why isn't the Marquis at his best?
10. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What was happening during the 1860s? How is different is today's Spain to what it was then? How does the author make a story set in the 1860s relevant to modern readers?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)