|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adela always do when she gets changed?
2. What religious act does Don Jaime compare fencing to?
3. What does Luis is the only reason he is a nobleman?
4. What is the name of the cafe Maestro goes to?
5. What does Don Jaime see floating in the water in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is masculine about Adela Otero?
2. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
3. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
4. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
5. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
6. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
7. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
8. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
9. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
10. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1860s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)