|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime think he is so good at fencing?
2. Why does Dona Adela think she feels faint?
3. How does Don Jaime change the mood when Don Adela gets too close?
4. Why does Don Luis say he chose Don Jaime to hide the file?
5. What does Don Jaime agree to teach Don Adela?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
2. How does Don Jaime kill Dona Adela?
3. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
4. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
5. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
6. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
7. What stops Don Jaime from feeling afraid?
8. How does Dona make Don Jaime uncomfortable in this section?
9. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
10. Why does Don Jaime decide to use a pistol in this section?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could Don Jaime be called naive? How has Don Jaime's naivety effected his decisions in the story? Do the students think his naivety to blame for the deaths of his friends? What do the students think Don Jaime has learned from the events in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)