|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Civil Guard fighting outside?
2. What country did Don Jaime settle down in in 1850?
3. What was the name of Don Jaime's old fencing master?
4. Which member of the discussion group says he hopes for a civil war?
5. What does Don Jaime agree to teach Don Adela?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
2. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
3. How does Don Jaime react to the Civil Guard fighting the demonstrators in this section?
4. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
5. What is Don Jaime's opinion on God?
6. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
7. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
8. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
9. What does Don Jaime about his loneliness?
10. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Spanish society during the 1860s? How does the author use the setting to also express contemporary concerns?
Essay Topic 3
Define the following terms;
1. Compound attack.
2. The short lunge.
How does the author use the fencing terms as part of the narrative structure?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)