|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Don Jaime always dreamed of inventing?
2. What does Dona Adela de Otero want from Don Jaime?
3. How does Jaime anger Adela during the first bout?
4. What was the name of Don Jaime's old fencing master?
5. What does Don Jaime think Don Adela has no interest in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What danger is Don Jaime now in?
2. Why did Dona Adela kill Don Luis?
3. What does Dona Adela tell Don Jaime about her ex-lover?
4. How does Dona make Don Jaime uncomfortable in this section?
5. How does Don Jaime react after reading the letter?
6. What stops Don Jaime from feeling afraid?
7. What does Don Jaime see at the morgue?
8. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
9. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
10. What is the only thing that Don Jaime knows about Dona Adela's private life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Don Jaime become a fencing master? What has fencing taught Don Jaime about life?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)