|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adela say she wanted to prove to Don Jaime?
2. How does Jaime anger Adela during the first bout?
3. What style has Dona Adela been taught in?
4. What is the time of year at the beginning of this section?
5. Who does Don Jaime receive a note from at he beginning of this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Adela Otero convince her to fence?
2. What is Don Jaime's opinion on God?
3. How does Dona make Don Jaime uncomfortable in this section?
4. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
5. What favor does Don Jaime agree to do for Don Luis in this section?
6. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
7. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
8. Describe the room in which Don Jaime waits for Adela Otero.
9. How does Don Jaime anger Dona Adela during the first bout?
10. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference does it make to the ideas that the author is trying to convey that he sets the story in the 1860s rather than contemporary society? What do you think his reason was for doing this? Could he convey the same point just as effectively within a contemporary setting?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)