|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
2. What does Don Luis want Don Jaime to do for him?
3. Why does Don Luis say he chose Don Jaime to hide the file?
4. Why does Don Jaime think modern views of fencing diminish its value?
5. Where city did Don Jaime settle in after leaving the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Luis de Ayala.
2. What is the only thing that Don Jaime knows about Dona Adela's private life?
3. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
4. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
5. What is Don Jaime's opinion on God?
6. How does Dona make Don Jaime uncomfortable in this section?
7. Describe the room in which Don Jaime waits for Adela Otero.
8. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
9. What is masculine about Adela Otero?
10. What does Don Jaime about his loneliness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Define the following terms;
1. Compound attack.
2. The short lunge.
How does the author use the fencing terms as part of the narrative structure?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)