Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime think he is so good at fencing?
2. Why does Dona Adela think she feels faint?
3. How does Don Jaime change the mood when Don Adela gets too close?
4. Why does Don Luis say he chose Don Jaime to hide the file?
5. What does Don Jaime agree to teach Don Adela?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
2. How does Don Jaime kill Dona Adela?
3. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
4. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
5. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
6. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
7. What stops Don Jaime from feeling afraid?
8. How does Dona make Don Jaime uncomfortable in this section?
9. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
10. Why does Don Jaime decide to use a pistol in this section?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
What was happening during the 1860s? How is different is today's Spain to what it was then? How does the author make a story set in the 1860s relevant to modern readers?
Essay Topic 3
How has Don Jaime's past effected the person we meet in the book? In what way could it be said that his past is responsible for some of his negative actions in the story? How does what happen in the story help Don Jaime to face up to his past?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)