|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe the journalist's smile?
2. Who does a woman tell Don Jaime has landed in Spain?
3. What is masculine about Dona Adela de Otera's face?
4. Where does Don Luis think much of Don Jaime's personal philosophy comes from?
5. Who does Romero say also shares Don Jaime's views about the Catholic Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Jaime anger Dona Adela during the first bout?
2. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
3. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
4. How does Don Jaime react to the Civil Guard fighting the demonstrators in this section?
5. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
6. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
7. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
8. How does Dona make Don Jaime uncomfortable in this section?
9. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
10. Why does Don Luis say he admires Don Jaime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the following terms;
1. Compound attack.
2. The short lunge.
How does the author use the fencing terms as part of the narrative structure?
Essay Topic 2
What were the role of women in 1860s Spain? In what way is the feminism discourse relate to contemporary issues?
Essay Topic 3
How did Don Jaime become a fencing master? What has fencing taught Don Jaime about life?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)