|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What member of the nobility does Dona Adela say she is interested in?
2. Who are the Civil Guard fighting outside?
3. What does Adela say she wanted to prove to Don Jaime?
4. Where city did Don Jaime settle in after leaving the army?
5. Why does Don Luis say he chose Don Jaime to hide the file?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
2. Why does Don Luis say he admires Don Jaime?
3. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
4. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
5. What is the only thing that Don Jaime knows about Dona Adela's private life?
6. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
7. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
8. Describe the room in which Don Jaime waits for Adela Otero.
9. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
10. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are Don Jaime's views on one of the following subjects.
How has fencing shaped his views on that subject?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)