|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Civil Guard fighting outside?
2. What law does Don Jaime realize has been declared when he sees the soldiers on his way to the cafe?
3. Why does Don Jaime say he took Dona Adela on?
4. What does Carceles use to support his views?
5. In which city did Don Jaime have his second duel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
2. Describe Luis de Ayala.
3. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
4. Why does Don Jaime ask the night watchman to send for a doctor?
5. What stops Don Jaime from feeling afraid?
6. Why does Dona Adela say Don Jaime didn't understand the file?
7. Why does Don Jaime decide not to flee?
8. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
9. How does Don Jaime react after reading the letter?
10. In what way could it be said that Dona Adela's arrogance kills her?
Essay Topic 1
What are Don Jaime's views on one of the following subjects.
How has fencing shaped his views on that subject?
Essay Topic 2
What was happening during the 1860s? How is different is today's Spain to what it was then? How does the author make a story set in the 1860s relevant to modern readers?
Essay Topic 3
How has Don Jaime's past effected the person we meet in the book? In what way could it be said that his past is responsible for some of his negative actions in the story? How does what happen in the story help Don Jaime to face up to his past?
This section contains 1,353 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)