|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Romero currently not getting paid?
2. What is the name of the cafe Maestro goes to?
3. Why does Don Jaime think modern views of fencing diminish its value?
4. Why did Don Jaime fight the second duel?
5. Why does Don Jaime think that Dona Adela hurries away when she sees him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Jaime react to the Civil Guard fighting the demonstrators in this section?
2. How does Adela Otero convince her to fence?
3. What does Don Jaime about his loneliness?
4. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
5. What is the only thing that Don Jaime knows about Dona Adela's private life?
6. How does Don Jaime react to Romero's depression over his unrequited love for the married woman?
7. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
8. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
9. How does Dona Adela meet Don Luis in this section?
10. Describe Luis de Ayala.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were the role of women in 1860s Spain? In what way is the feminism discourse relate to contemporary issues?
Essay Topic 2
What does the story express about Spanish society during the 1860s? How does the author use the setting to also express contemporary concerns?
Essay Topic 3
In what way could Don Jaime be called naive? How has Don Jaime's naivety effected his decisions in the story? Do the students think his naivety to blame for the deaths of his friends? What do the students think Don Jaime has learned from the events in the story?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)