|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Don Luis think much of Don Jaime's personal philosophy comes from?
2. Why does Jaime refuse to take sides on the political arguments?
3. What does Don Jaime hate to hear fencing be called?
4. What was the name of Don Jaime's old fencing master?
5. What does Don Jaime write in his letter back to Dona Adela?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
2. What information does Campillo say he has about Dona Adela's death?
3. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
4. What is Campilo's opinion of Don Jaime and the way he has acted?
5. What dangers does Don Jaime find in Carceles' residence?
6. Why does Dona Adela say Don Jaime didn't understand the file?
7. How does Don Jaime react to Romero's depression over his unrequited love for the married woman?
8. How does Don Jaime kill Dona Adela?
9. Why does Don Luis say he admires Don Jaime?
10. Describe the room in which Don Jaime waits for Adela Otero.
Essay Topic 1
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 1,503 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)