|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Don Jaime see floating in the water in his dream?
2. Why does Don Jaime think he is so good at fencing?
3. In which city did Don Jaime have his second duel?
4. Where city did Don Jaime settle in after leaving the army?
5. What rank did Don Jaime reach in the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
2. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
3. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
4. How does Dona Adela meet Don Luis in this section?
5. What does Don Jaime about his loneliness?
6. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
7. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
8. How does Adela Otero convince her to fence?
9. What favor does Don Jaime agree to do for Don Luis in this section?
10. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1860s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Define the following terms;
1. Compound attack.
2. The short lunge.
How does the author use the fencing terms as part of the narrative structure?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)