|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dona Adela think she feels faint?
2. What does Don Jaime agree to teach Don Adela?
3. What do Don Jaime and the Marquis always drink after their bout?
4. What does Don Luis want Don Jaime to do for him?
5. What does Don Luis invite Dona Adela to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
2. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
3. What is Don Jaime's opinion on God?
4. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
5. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
6. Why isn't the Marquis at his best?
7. How does Don Jaime react to Romero's depression over his unrequited love for the married woman?
8. Describe Luis de Ayala.
9. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
10. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was happening during the 1860s? How is different is today's Spain to what it was then? How does the author make a story set in the 1860s relevant to modern readers?
Essay Topic 2
What were the role of women in 1860s Spain? In what way is the feminism discourse relate to contemporary issues?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)