|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drink does Don Jaime give Dona Adela to calm her down?
2. What does Adela always do when she gets changed?
3. Who does a woman tell Don Jaime has landed in Spain?
4. What does Don Luis say he feels like everywhere he goes?
5. What is Dona Adela playing on her piano as Don Jaime leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Jaime anger Dona Adela during the first bout?
2. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
3. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
4. How does Dona Adela meet Don Luis in this section?
5. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
6. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
7. How does Adela Otero convince her to fence?
8. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
9. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
10. Why isn't the Marquis at his best?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was happening during the 1860s? How is different is today's Spain to what it was then? How does the author make a story set in the 1860s relevant to modern readers?
Essay Topic 2
How does Don Jaime's obsession with fencing shield him from every day life? In what ways is this obsession both a strength and weakness?
Essay Topic 3
What difference does it make to the ideas that the author is trying to convey that he sets the story in the 1860s rather than contemporary society? What do you think his reason was for doing this? Could he convey the same point just as effectively within a contemporary setting?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)