|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Don Luis say he chose Don Jaime to hide the file?
2. What does Don Luis want Don Jaime to do for him?
3. What country did Don Jaime settle down in in 1850?
4. What drink does Don Jaime give Dona Adela to calm her down?
5. Why does Don Jaime think Dona Adela cannot possibly know what he means?
Short Essay Questions
1. What favor does Don Jaime agree to do for Don Luis in this section?
2. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
3. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
4. Why does Don Luis say he admires Don Jaime?
5. Describe Luis de Ayala.
6. How does Don Jaime react to the Civil Guard fighting the demonstrators in this section?
7. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
8. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
9. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
10. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference does it make to the ideas that the author is trying to convey that he sets the story in the 1860s rather than contemporary society? What do you think his reason was for doing this? Could he convey the same point just as effectively within a contemporary setting?
Essay Topic 2
What were the role of women in 1860s Spain? In what way is the feminism discourse relate to contemporary issues?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)