|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Don Jaime teach?
2. Who does Don Jaime say is not a gentleman?
3. What does the author say the marquis is wheezing like?
4. What does Luis is the only reason he is a nobleman?
5. What makes Don Jaime think that Dona Adela has a cruel nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
2. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
3. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
4. How does Adela Otero convince her to fence?
5. How does Dona make Don Jaime uncomfortable in this section?
6. How does Don Jaime react to the Civil Guard fighting the demonstrators in this section?
7. How does Dona Adela meet Don Luis in this section?
8. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
9. What is masculine about Adela Otero?
10. Describe the room in which Don Jaime waits for Adela Otero.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What difference does it make to the ideas that the author is trying to convey that he sets the story in the 1860s rather than contemporary society? What do you think his reason was for doing this? Could he convey the same point just as effectively within a contemporary setting?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the generation gap between younger and the older characters. What different experiences did both generations go through? What problems is the generation gap causing the characters? Is generational gap expressed particularly wide during this time or is a wide generational gap common to all ages?
Essay Topic 3
What are Don Jaime's views on one of the following subjects.
How has fencing shaped his views on that subject?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)