|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Luis is the only reason he is a nobleman?
2. What was the name of the school Don Jaime graduated from as a fencing master?
3. Who should a fencing bout be between?
4. Who dies at the end of this section?
5. What was the name of Don Jaime's old fencing master?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Don Jaime about his loneliness?
2. How does Dona Adela meet Don Luis in this section?
3. How does Don Jaime react to Romero's depression over his unrequited love for the married woman?
4. Describe the room in which Don Jaime waits for Adela Otero.
5. What does Don Jaime think about Adela's constant questioning?
6. Why isn't the Marquis at his best?
7. Why does Don Luis say he admires Don Jaime?
8. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
9. Why is Don Jaime struggling with what he calls the Holy Grail?
10. What favor does Don Jaime agree to do for Don Luis in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the story express about Spanish society during the 1860s? How does the author use the setting to also express contemporary concerns?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1860s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)