|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method does Don Jaime teach?
2. Who does Adela say taught her to fence?
3. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
4. Why does Don Jaime refuse to train Adela?
5. How does the author describe the journalist's smile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
2. What favor does Don Jaime agree to do for Don Luis in this section?
3. How does Don Jaime react to the Civil Guard fighting the demonstrators in this section?
4. How does Dona Adela meet Don Luis in this section?
5. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
6. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
7. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
8. Describe Don Jaime's dream in this section.
9. Why does Don Luis say he admires Don Jaime?
10. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Dona Adela kill Don Luis? What has happened in her life for her to become such a cold person? How does the author slowly unfold her as this cold, vindictive character? what meaning does her character bring to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1860s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What difference does it make to the ideas that the author is trying to convey that he sets the story in the 1860s rather than contemporary society? What do you think his reason was for doing this? Could he convey the same point just as effectively within a contemporary setting?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)