|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are members of the Progresso discussion group worried about?
2. How does Don Jaime change the mood when Don Adela gets too close?
3. What was the name of Don Jaime's old fencing master?
4. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
5. Where city did Don Jaime settle in after leaving the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
2. How does Dona Adela meet Don Luis in this section?
3. Why does Don Luis say he admires Don Jaime?
4. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
5. What is Don Jaime's opinion on politics?
6. What is Don Jaime's argument against Romero's statement that the Catholic Church isn't violent?
7. Describe the room in which Don Jaime waits for Adela Otero.
8. How does Don Jaime react to the Civil Guard fighting the demonstrators in this section?
9. What information does Don Jaime give Dona Adela about his life in fencing?
10. How did Don Jaime become a fencing master?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
What are Don Jaime's views on one of the following subjects.
How has fencing shaped his views on that subject?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)