|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did Don Jaime have his second duel?
2. Who does Adela say taught her to fence?
3. What does Don Luis want Don Jaime to do for him?
4. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
5. Where does Don Jaime go for breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Luis de Ayala.
2. What do the Cafe Progresso members think about the prospect of civil war?
3. Why does Don Jaime think martial war has been declared?
4. What does Don Jaime about his loneliness?
5. What happens when Adela starts seeing Don Luis?
6. How does Don Luis offend Don Jaime in this section?
7. Why isn't the Marquis at his best?
8. What does Don Jaime closing the shutters on the demonstrators say about how he likes to live his life?
9. How does Don Jaime anger Dona Adela during the first bout?
10. What is Don Jaime's opinion of Manlito?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Don Jaime become a fencing master? What has fencing taught Don Jaime about life?
Essay Topic 2
Define the following terms;
1. Compound attack.
2. The short lunge.
How does the author use the fencing terms as part of the narrative structure?
Essay Topic 3
What were the role of women in 1860s Spain? In what way is the feminism discourse relate to contemporary issues?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)