|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Don Jaime refuse to train Adela?
(a) She is too beautiful.
(b) He would be laughed at.
(c) She does not have enough money.
(d) He has never taught a woman.
2. What does Adela always do when she gets changed?
(a) Sings folk songs.
(b) Leaves the door open.
(c) Polished her sword.
(d) Plays Chopin.
3. Who is Espartero always quoting?
4. Why does Jaime refuse to take sides on the political arguments?
(a) He hates politics.
(b) He agrees with everyone and no one.
(c) His business is fencing.
(d) He doesn't understand politics.
5. Who does Romero say also shares Don Jaime's views about the Catholic Church?
(a) Don Luis.
(d) Dona Adela.
6. Which member of the discussion group says he hopes for a civil war?
7. Why does Don Jaime think Dona Adela cannot possibly know what he means?
(a) She never interacts.
(b) She is too young.
(c) She is a woman.
(d) She is not clever enough.
8. Why does Don Jaime think that Dona Adela hurries away when she sees him?
(a) She is late.
(b) She is ashamed.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is scared.
9. What is Dona Adela playing on her piano as Don Jaime leaves?
10. What member of the nobility does Dona Adela say she is interested in?
(a) Don Luis.
(b) Don Campari.
(c) Don Iniesta.
(d) Don Jose.
11. Who does Don Luis call an extraordinary and admirable man?
(a) Jaime's father.
(c) Don Jaime.
(d) His own father.
12. Who does Adela say taught her to fence?
(a) She refuses to say.
(b) Her father.
13. What does Don Jaime agree to teach Don Adela?
(a) The defensive leap.
(b) The two hundred escudo thrust.
(c) The sixty fist lunge.
(d) The wall block.
14. Why does Don Jaime leave the cafe early?
(a) To go for a walk.
(b) To talk to Don Luis.
(c) To hide Don Luis's file.
(d) To practise his fencing moves.
15. How does Don Jaime change the mood when Don Adela gets too close?
(a) He pushes her away.
(b) He stands up.
(c) He turns on a light.
(d) He laughs at her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dona Adela de Otero want from Don Jaime?
2. How does the author describe the journalist's smile?
3. Who should a fencing bout be between?
4. Why does Don Luis say he chose Don Jaime to hide the file?
5. How does Romero get by without a job?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)