|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who first agrees to let Richard marry Marie?
2. What is the name of the girl Philippe first marries?
3. What does Christophe give to Marcel before his trip in Section 12, Volume 2?
4. Who is unable to enter or speak at the wake of the person that dies in Section 13, Volume 2?
5. What does Philippe explain to Marcel that Lisette has a desire for in Section 10, Volume 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Josette educate Marcel on regarding his heritage when he comes to stay with her?
2. How is the gift Philippe gives to Marie in Section 8, Volume 1 described?
3. What does Marcel learn about his father's wishes when he goes to a notary in Section 11, Volume 2?
4. How did Philippe and Aglae come to be married?
5. How does Vincent react when he finds out Anna Bella is pregnant?
6. How is the physical fight between Lisette and Cecile described?
7. How does Rudolphe react when he is not allowed to vote?
8. What decision does Anna Bella come to regarding her love life at the end of Section 8, Volume 1?
9. What is the nature of Richard and Rudolphe's discussion regarding Marie in Section 10, Volume 2?
10. How is Marie raped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Marcel and Richard are best friends and appear to have similar dreams, the two characters do have differences. Compare and contrast the portrayal of the characters Marcel and Richard in the book. What is the main driving force behind each of these young men's actions, namely the aspirations for their future, and what can we learn about the nature of their character based on these desires?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of marriage has a truly flawed portrayal throughout the book.
Part 1) How do white gentlemen appear to view marriage, especially considering Philippe and Aglae's marriage?
Part 2) What does marriage appear to represent to older women of color like Cecil and Madame Elsie based on their actions to marry off Marie?
Part 3) Why do you think marriage is presented more as a business arrangement than for love so often in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the presence of deception in the book. What can we learn about the nature of Philippe based on his continuous acts of deception towards the book's characters, especially his children? What message might the author be trying to send regarding the nature of white gentlemen based on the presence of deceptive behavior from them in the book?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)