|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Philippe give to Marie as a gift in Section 8, Volume 1?
2. Who buys Anna Bella a small house?
3. What is the name of Anna Bella's maid?
4. Who takes Marcel to an abandoned cottage to meet up with Anna Bella in Section 14, Volume 3?
5. What countries does Josette educate Marcel on during his visit in Section 12, Volume 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the nature of Richard and Rudolphe's discussion regarding Marie in Section 10, Volume 2?
2. How does Cecile react to Marie's rape?
3. How is Marie raped?
4. How is Marie's coffee visit at the Lermontant house described?
5. What decision does Anna Bella come to regarding her love life at the end of Section 8, Volume 1?
6. What is the nature of Marcel's conversation with Lisette the morning of her mother's funeral?
7. How is the physical fight between Lisette and Cecile described?
8. What does Cecile tell Marie just after Philippe dies?
9. What does Marcel learn about his father's wishes when he goes to a notary in Section 11, Volume 2?
10. How does Rudolphe react when he is not allowed to vote?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the nature of friendship that is presented in the book. What does friendship provide for characters like Marcel and Richard in regard to human needs that they are unable to find in other relationships? In this regard, how integral is having friends for the book's characters?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the creation of progress that is presented in the book. What efforts do the book's characters make to create progress for their own success and who was most successful in this venture?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role education appears to play in the lives of the book's characters, namely Marcel and Christophe. How does becoming more educated in terms of school and the nature of society allow these characters to succeed or at least improve their situation compared to those that turn away from educating themselves?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)