|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Philippe and Magloire?
2. What overcomes Rudolphe by its beauty at the end of Section 9, Volume 2?
3. Who is not in Marie's room when Marcel awakens at the beginning of Section 12, Volume 2?
4. Whom does Philippe shift more responsibility to at his plantation after becoming married?
5. How old was Philippe when he first came to own his plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcel learn about the Haitian revolution in Section 13, Volume 2?
2. Why does Marcel choose not to visit Anna Bella in Section 8, Volume 1?
3. What does Cecile tell Marie just after Philippe dies?
4. How did Philippe and Aglae come to be married?
5. How is Marie's coffee visit at the Lermontant house described?
6. How is the physical fight between Lisette and Cecile described?
7. What happens when Marcel visits Bontemps to see Philippe?
8. What happens when Aglae attends Philippe's wake?
9. What do Philippe and Marcel talk about when Philippe stays at their cottage in Section 10, Volume 2?
10. What is the nature of Marcel and Anna Bella's conversation at the end of Section 10, Volume 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of escape that is presented in the book. Why do so many of the book's characters choose to escape their current situation rather than fight against it to change it for the better? Does this phenomenon create problems or solutions?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery plays an important role in the formation of ideas and pushes for change throughout the book.
Part 1) Why is the truth about slavery hidden from Marcel by his family?
Part 2) What impact does Marcel's learning about slavery have on the way he views his own situation in life. Does he begin sympathizing with others?
Part 3) What message might the author be trying to get across regarding the nature of those with first-hand experience with slavery and the impact it has on their future generations?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the portrayal of jealousy in the book. What can we learn about the danger and sorrow of jealousy based on the actions from characters like Cecile and Lisette in the book?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)