|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men is Marie raped by?
2. What is the relationship between Vincent and Aglae?
3. What body part of Cecile's has to be removed after a fight in Section 11, Volume 2?
4. Who visits Dolly's home at the beginning of Section 10, Volume 2?
5. What is the name of Anna Bella's maid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marcel choose not to visit Anna Bella in Section 8, Volume 1?
2. What happens when Rudolphe is arrested?
3. What do Philippe and Marcel talk about when Philippe stays at their cottage in Section 10, Volume 2?
4. How does Cecile react to Marie's rape?
5. What is the nature of Marcel and Anna Bella's conversation at the end of Section 10, Volume 2?
6. What is the nature of Marcel's conversation with Lisette the morning of her mother's funeral?
7. How did Philippe and Aglae come to be married?
8. What does Marcel learn about the Haitian revolution in Section 13, Volume 2?
9. How is Marie raped?
10. What decision does Anna Bella come to regarding her love life at the end of Section 8, Volume 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For many of the book's characters, physical appearance plays an important role in the way they are viewed in society.
Part 1) What impact does having a beautiful physical appearance have on Marie?
Part 2) What appears to be the desires of women of color regarding their physical appearance in the book, and why do you think they feel this way?
Part 3) How do the views of the women of color in the book about their physical appearance present an ironic condition for them to live in, in other words, how do they create more problems for themselves because of their actions towards physical appearance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of jealousy in the book. What can we learn about the danger and sorrow of jealousy based on the actions from characters like Cecile and Lisette in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the portrayal of Europe in the book. How did the author present Europe as a more tolerant place and why do so many of the book's characters believe they will prosper if given the chance to escape there?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)