|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Rudolphe suggest the boys ask for help nursing the sick person that contracts yellow fever?
2. Why does Christophe not speak with his mother for a long time after arriving in Paris?
3. What is the relationship between Marcel and Philippe?
4. How does Marcel react to the renovations of the classroom at Christophe's?
5. What does Marcel's aunt tell him that his grandmother was at the end of Section 2, Volume 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marcel think of the renovations made at Christophe's school the first time he sees it?
2. What happens when Christophe catches Marcel with his mother in Section 7, Volume 1?
3. What happens when Christophe allows Bubbles to sit in his classroom for school?
4. What warning does Christophe give to Marcel after he finds him with Juliet in Section 5, Volume 1?
5. How does Philippe act towards Marcel when he visits his home in Section 7, Volume 1?
6. How is Marcel expelled from his school at the beginning of the book?
7. What does Anna Bella ask of Richard regarding Marcel in Section 4, Volume 1?
8. What does Christophe tell Marcel happened to him when he first arrived in Paris?
9. What is the nature of Marcel and Richard's conversation regarding Marie at the end of Section 5, Volume 1?
10. How do Marcel and Juliet come to sleep together for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the portrayal of Europe in the book. How did the author present Europe as a more tolerant place and why do so many of the book's characters believe they will prosper if given the chance to escape there?
Essay Topic 2
Inequality is a leading theme presented at the very beginning of the book to the end.
Part 1) How are women and men portrayed an unequal in the book, regardless of race?
Part 2) What role does race appear to play in the presence of inequality in the book?
Part 3) Why is there a presence of inequality present in members of the same race and what factors are present to explain this?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role education appears to play in the lives of the book's characters, namely Marcel and Christophe. How does becoming more educated in terms of school and the nature of society allow these characters to succeed or at least improve their situation compared to those that turn away from educating themselves?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)