|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Juliet and Christophe?
2. What is the relationship between Richard and Suzette in the book?
3. Where does Marcel hope to move to when he is allowed to leave his family?
4. Who follows Marcel after he visits the grave of a friend for the first time in a book?
5. What community does the book mostly follow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Anna Bella seeks comfort from Marcel after Michael's death?
2. What does Marcel think of the renovations made at Christophe's school the first time he sees it?
3. How are Richard's feelings towards Marie first described?
4. What is the nature of Marcel and Richard's conversation regarding Marie at the end of Section 5, Volume 1?
5. What warning does Christophe give to Marcel after he finds him with Juliet in Section 5, Volume 1?
6. How does Marcel's mother react to news that he was expelled from school?
7. How is Marcel and Christophe's first meeting described?
8. What does Anna Bella ask of Richard regarding Marcel in Section 4, Volume 1?
9. How are Marcel's thoughts described on his first day of school?
10. How do Marcel and Juliet come to sleep together for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the portrayal of jealousy in the book. What can we learn about the danger and sorrow of jealousy based on the actions from characters like Cecile and Lisette in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the portrayal of Europe in the book. How did the author present Europe as a more tolerant place and why do so many of the book's characters believe they will prosper if given the chance to escape there?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of marriage has a truly flawed portrayal throughout the book.
Part 1) How do white gentlemen appear to view marriage, especially considering Philippe and Aglae's marriage?
Part 2) What does marriage appear to represent to older women of color like Cecil and Madame Elsie based on their actions to marry off Marie?
Part 3) Why do you think marriage is presented more as a business arrangement than for love so often in the book?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)