|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Marcel's friend that died?
2. Where does Christophe's friend wish for him to go to at the end of Section 4, Volume 1?
3. Whom is Marcel at the opera with when he spots his father in the audience?
4. Whom does Rudolphe suggest the boys ask for help nursing the sick person that contracts yellow fever?
5. How does Christophe's mother react to his return near the beginning of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jean Jacques teach Marcel regarding his people?
2. What is the nature of Marcel and Richard's conversation regarding Marie at the end of Section 5, Volume 1?
3. How is Marcel expelled from his school at the beginning of the book?
4. What happens when Anna Bella seeks comfort from Marcel after Michael's death?
5. What happens when Christophe catches Marcel with his mother in Section 7, Volume 1?
6. What does Philippe ask Richard to do after a child's wake in Section 4, Volume 1?
7. How is Marie's appearance described when she goes to the opera to be presented?
8. How do Marcel and Juliet come to sleep together for the first time?
9. How is Marcel's visit to Jean Jacques grave described?
10. What warning does Christophe give to Marcel after he finds him with Juliet in Section 5, Volume 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery plays an important role in the formation of ideas and pushes for change throughout the book.
Part 1) Why is the truth about slavery hidden from Marcel by his family?
Part 2) What impact does Marcel's learning about slavery have on the way he views his own situation in life. Does he begin sympathizing with others?
Part 3) What message might the author be trying to get across regarding the nature of those with first-hand experience with slavery and the impact it has on their future generations?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the portrayal of relationships between parents and children in the book. Why do you think the author presented so many flawed relationships between parents and children in the book, and what impact might these poor relationships have on the actions of the younger generation characters?
Essay Topic 3
Heritage is an important theme presented in the book that helps shape and educate Marcel into the person he wishes to become.
Part 1) What lessons in heritage is Marcel able to learn from people like Jean Jacques and Josette in the book?
Part 2) What impact do these lessons on heritage have on the way Marcel views his life and the people in it?
Part 3) What reasons do some of the book's characters have for hiding the truth about their heritage, and what impact does this have on the future of their culture?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)