|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Christophe do in mourning for his mentor in Section 7, Volume 1?
2. Who is the author of "The Feast of All Saints"?
3. Whom does Marcel find Anna Bella talking to at the end of Section 5, Volume 1?
4. Who is angered by Marcel's friendship with a man that died?
5. Who follows Marcel after he visits the grave of a friend for the first time in a book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Juliet ask Marcel to read some letters from her son for her?
2. How is Marcel expelled from his school at the beginning of the book?
3. What does Marcel think of the renovations made at Christophe's school the first time he sees it?
4. How is Marcel and Christophe's first meeting described?
5. How are Richard's feelings towards Marie first described?
6. What happens when Anna Bella seeks comfort from Marcel after Michael's death?
7. How does Marcel's mother react to news that he was expelled from school?
8. How does Marcel react when he sees his father at the opera?
9. What does Christophe tell Marcel happened to him when he first arrived in Paris?
10. What does Philippe ask Richard to do after a child's wake in Section 4, Volume 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inequality is a leading theme presented at the very beginning of the book to the end.
Part 1) How are women and men portrayed an unequal in the book, regardless of race?
Part 2) What role does race appear to play in the presence of inequality in the book?
Part 3) Why is there a presence of inequality present in members of the same race and what factors are present to explain this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of escape that is presented in the book. Why do so many of the book's characters choose to escape their current situation rather than fight against it to change it for the better? Does this phenomenon create problems or solutions?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout much of the book, Marcel searched for a true father figure, an act that greatly impacted his actions and thoughts.
Part 1) What impact does Marcel's poor relationship with Philippe have on his desire for a father figure?
Part 2) How has Marcel's mother made it harder for him to find a good father figure in life?
Part 3) What role does Marcel's lack of a father figure have on the sexual advances he makes towards Christophe, and what can we learn about Christophe's nature based on his response to Marcel?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)