|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship between Marcel and Philippe?
2. What is the name of the father of the girl who dies in Section 4, Volume 1?
3. Whom does Cecile tell Marcel she has sent for as his punishment in Section 4, Volume 1?
4. What does Marcel's aunt tell him that his grandmother was at the end of Section 2, Volume 1?
5. What does Christophe buy Anna Bella as a thank-you gift in Section 7, Volume 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Christophe's relationship with Michael first described?
2. Why is Marcel not able to spend time with Anna Bella in Section 2, Volume 1 of the book?
3. How are Richard's feelings towards Marie first described?
4. What does Marcel think of the renovations made at Christophe's school the first time he sees it?
5. How is Marcel's visit to Jean Jacques grave described?
6. How is Marcel and Christophe's first meeting described?
7. What happens when Christophe catches Marcel with his mother in Section 7, Volume 1?
8. How are Marcel's thoughts described on his first day of school?
9. What happens when Anna Bella seeks comfort from Marcel after Michael's death?
10. How is Marcel expelled from his school at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of escape that is presented in the book. Why do so many of the book's characters choose to escape their current situation rather than fight against it to change it for the better? Does this phenomenon create problems or solutions?
Essay Topic 2
Slavery plays an important role in the formation of ideas and pushes for change throughout the book.
Part 1) Why is the truth about slavery hidden from Marcel by his family?
Part 2) What impact does Marcel's learning about slavery have on the way he views his own situation in life. Does he begin sympathizing with others?
Part 3) What message might the author be trying to get across regarding the nature of those with first-hand experience with slavery and the impact it has on their future generations?
Essay Topic 3
Inequality is a leading theme presented at the very beginning of the book to the end.
Part 1) How are women and men portrayed an unequal in the book, regardless of race?
Part 2) What role does race appear to play in the presence of inequality in the book?
Part 3) Why is there a presence of inequality present in members of the same race and what factors are present to explain this?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)