|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Uncle John's real profession?
(a) He is a doctor.
(b) He is a writer.
(c) He is a blacksmith.
(d) He is a lawyer.
2. What do Celia and Julia rent from Mrs. Gibson?
(a) A sewing machine.
(b) A horse and buggy.
(c) An apartment.
(d) A motor car.
3. What impediment affects Matthew Merry?
(a) He is blind.
(b) He stutters.
(c) He is mute.
(d) He is deaf.
4. What rationalization does Julia give for the way that old people in the village greet her?
(a) That they are greeting her as Celia's daughter.
(b) That they are greeting Beatrice.
(c) That they are confused as to who she is.
(d) That they don't recognize her face.
5. What is Julia's relationship to James?
(a) They are betrothed.
(b) They are coworkers.
(c) They are enemies.
(d) They are cousins.
Short Answer Questions
1. After discussing Richard's temper with Julia, what does Ralph call Richard?
2. How does Ralph respond to Uncle John's plan when Richard presents it to him?
3. What animal does Ralph regularly poach from the river?
4. How do the villagers respond to Julia's warning about the church's destruction?
5. After Julia is given permission to take riding lessons, what happens to the horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What recurring dream does Julia have as an adult?
2. What gift does Ralph bring for Julia, and what is the response to his gift?
3. How does Julia's relationship with James change over the course of their meetings?
4. What is the reaction among Wideacre estates to Uncle John's payment plan?
5. How does Celia respond to starting a school for the village children.
6. How does Richard respond to the news that Julia is going to be sent away?
7. How does James encourage Julia to embrace her heritage?
8. How does Julia feel about having meeting and having to visit with Dr. Phillips?
9. How does it come to pass that Richard strikes Julia with his riding crop?
10. How does Julia respond to being asked to orchestrate the planting of an apple orchard?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)