|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years ago does Peter Von Houten say his daughter died in Chapter 23?
2. What is the name of the cemetery where Augustus is buried?
3. What does Hazel’s father say he majored in at college in Chapter 14?
4. How many marriages end in the year after a child’s death, according to Hazel in Chapter 23?
5. What is Peter Van Houten wearing when he answers the door in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustus consume on the flight back from Amsterdam in Chapter 14?
2. What thoughts does Hazel express regarding her separation from Augustus in Chapter 22?
3. What leads up to the argument between Hazel and her parents in Chapter 20?
4. What irony can be seen in the relationship between Isaac, Hazel, and Augustus in Chapter 14?
5. What do Augustus, Isaac, and Hazel do after leaving Augustus’s house in Chapter 14?
6. What does Hazel encounter when she goes to meet Augustus at the gas station in Chapter 18? How does Hazel deal with the situation?
7. What does Augustus tell Hazel about his treatment in Chapter 13?
8. How is Peter Van Houten’s appearance and demeanor described when he appears in Hazel’s car in Chapter 23?
9. How does Peter Van Houten respond to Hazel’s questions about the characters in the book in Chapter 12?
10. Where do Hazel and Augustus go after leaving Oranjee in Chapter 11? What do they discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “irony” and discuss the irony of Augustus’s illness as revealed in Chapter 13. Why did Hazel gloss over her own prognosis? How does the progression of Augustus’s cancer change the relationship between Hazel and Augustus?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the consummation of Hazel and Augustus’s relationship in Chapter 12. How does Hazel feel about losing her virginity to Augustus? In what ways have Hazel’s feelings changed since Augustus first tried to kiss her? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the setting of the novel as established in Chapter 1. In what state do Hazel and her family live? How populous is the city where Hazel lives? What does Hazel think of the city where she and her family live?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)