|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What holiday does Hazel’s mother say it is in Chapter 25?
2. What do Augustus and Hazel take with them when they visit the Funky Bones sculpture in Chapter 15?
3. Hazel says in Chapter 21, “When you go into the ER, one of the first things they ask you to do is” what?
4. At about what time does Augustus call Hazel in Chapter 20?
5. Where was Augustus when he died, according to the narrator in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the restaurant Oranjee described in Chapter 11? What do Hazel and Augustus have here?
2. How is Hazel’s experience at the Anne Frank House described in Chapter 12?
3. What thoughts does Hazel express regarding her separation from Augustus in Chapter 22?
4. Where is Augustus when he dies in Chapter 21? How does Hazel learn of his death?
5. How are Augustus and Hazel greeted when they arrive at Peter Van Houten’s residence in Chapter 12?
6. Where do Hazel and Augustus go after leaving Oranjee in Chapter 11? What do they discuss?
7. What does Augustus reveal to Hazel about the state of his health in Chapter 13?
8. What symbolism and themes are represented through the death of Augustus in the novel?
9. What does Peter Van Houten say about his daughter in Chapter 23?
10. What does Mrs. Lancaster reveal to Hazel about her future in Chapter 24? How does Hazel respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Kaitlyn in the novel. How old is Kaitlyn? Where does Hazel know Kaitlyn from? How has Hazel’s friendship with Kaitlyn changed since her removal from school?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the consummation of Hazel and Augustus’s relationship in Chapter 12. How does Hazel feel about losing her virginity to Augustus? In what ways have Hazel’s feelings changed since Augustus first tried to kiss her? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. Where in the city do Augustus, Hazel, and Mrs. Lancaster stay? What monuments and tourist attractions are described in this area of the city? What are Hazel’s impressions of Amsterdam?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)