|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport had Augustus played in high school before he developed cancer?
2. Hazel’s mother tells her in Chapter 24 that she is taking online classes in order to earn her Master’s Degree in what field?
3. What is Hazel’s middle name?
4. What is the name of Amsterdam’s most famous park that is next to Hazel’s hotel in Chapter 11?
5. What does Peter Von Houten take out and begin drinking as Hazel’s parents give him a ride after the funeral in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Peter Van Houten’s appearance and demeanor described when he appears in Hazel’s car in Chapter 23?
2. What is ironic about the conflicts that arise between Hazel and her parents in Chapter 20?
3. What does Hazel encounter when she goes to meet Augustus at the gas station in Chapter 18? How does Hazel deal with the situation?
4. How are Augustus and Hazel greeted when they arrive at Peter Van Houten’s residence in Chapter 12?
5. Where do Hazel and Augustus go after leaving Oranjee in Chapter 11? What do they discuss?
6. How does Peter Van Houten respond to Hazel’s questions about the characters in the book in Chapter 12?
7. What does Augustus reveal to Hazel about the state of his health in Chapter 13?
8. What irony can be seen in the relationship between Isaac, Hazel, and Augustus in Chapter 14?
9. What exchange takes place between Hazel and Peter Van Houten after Augustus’s funeral in Chapter 22?
10. What does Hazel encounter when she goes to visit Augustus in Chapter 17? How does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the causes, symptoms, prognosis, and treatments for thyroid cancer. When in Chapter 1 does Hazel say she was diagnosed with thyroid cancer? What treatments has she undergone? Which were successful? How has Hazel’s cancer affected her everyday life since she was diagnosed?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Kaitlyn in the novel. How old is Kaitlyn? Where does Hazel know Kaitlyn from? How has Hazel’s friendship with Kaitlyn changed since her removal from school?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. Where in the city do Augustus, Hazel, and Mrs. Lancaster stay? What monuments and tourist attractions are described in this area of the city? What are Hazel’s impressions of Amsterdam?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)