|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color t-shirt does Hazel wear to meet Peter Van Houten in Chapter 12?
2. How does the minister introduce Hazel at Augustus’s funeral in Chapter 22?
3. How many years ago does Peter Von Houten say his daughter died in Chapter 23?
4. Augustus says in Chapter 14 that his science teacher in middle school taught them that the wind blows how fast inside of clouds?
5. Hazel tells Augustus in the end of Chapter 13, “I don’t think you’re dying. I think you’ve just got” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Augustus’s hospitalization in Chapter 15? What does Hazel learn when she visits him there?
2. What leads up to the argument between Hazel and her parents in Chapter 20?
3. How is Peter Van Houten’s appearance and demeanor described when he appears in Hazel’s car in Chapter 23?
4. How does Peter Van Houten respond to Hazel’s questions about the characters in the book in Chapter 12?
5. What does Hazel encounter when she enters the support group meeting area in Chapter 20?
6. How is the restaurant Oranjee described in Chapter 11? What do Hazel and Augustus have here?
7. What irony can be seen in the relationship between Isaac, Hazel, and Augustus in Chapter 14?
8. What does Augustus tell Hazel about his treatment in Chapter 13?
9. Where do Hazel, Augustus, and Hazel’s mother go after arriving in Amsterdam in Chapter 11?
10. What does Peter Van Houten say about his daughter in Chapter 23?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define “narrative point of view” in literature and identify the qualities of the narrative style in The Fault in Our Stars. How would you describe the narrator of the story? Is the narrator involved in the action? Is the story related in past or present tense? How does each of these choices affect your reading of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Language and Literary Allusion in The Fault in Our Stars
a. Discuss the author’s use of language in the novel. What can you tell about the characters in the story based on how they talk?
b. Discuss the use of literary allusion in The Fault of Our Stars. What novels and plays are alluded to? Why do you think the author alludes to these works?
Essay Topic 3
Define “irony” and discuss the irony of Augustus’s illness as revealed in Chapter 13. Why did Hazel gloss over her own prognosis? How does the progression of Augustus’s cancer change the relationship between Hazel and Augustus?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)