|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day of the week is Augustus’s funeral set to be in Chapter 21?
2. Where does Augustus call Hazel from at 2:35 a.m. in Chapter 18?
3. In his final letter to Von Houten that Hazel reads in Chapter 25, Augustus has written, “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, old man, but you do have some say in” what?
4. Who does Hazel send an email to after hanging up the phone with Kaitlyn in Chapter 25?
5. What is Peter Van Houten described as wearing at Augustus’s funeral in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Augustus consume on the flight back from Amsterdam in Chapter 14?
2. What do Augustus, Isaac, and Hazel do after leaving Augustus’s house in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Augustus’s father call Hazel in Chapter 24? How does Hazel respond?
4. What irony can be seen in the relationship between Isaac, Hazel, and Augustus in Chapter 14?
5. How does Peter Van Houten respond to Hazel’s questions about the characters in the book in Chapter 12?
6. What is ironic about the conflicts that arise between Hazel and her parents in Chapter 20?
7. What does Augustus tell Hazel about his treatment in Chapter 13?
8. How is Hazel’s experience at the Anne Frank House described in Chapter 12?
9. What leads to Augustus’s hospitalization in Chapter 15? What does Hazel learn when she visits him there?
10. What exchange takes place between Hazel and Peter Van Houten after Augustus’s funeral in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Mrs. Lancaster in the novel. How does Hazel describe her relationship with her mother? Do you think Mrs. Lancaster is a likable character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the literary allusion to Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar in the title of The Fault in Our Stars. Why does the author choose to allude to this play by Shakespeare? What is the full line and context from which the title is derived? How do the themes in Julius Caesar relate to the themes in The Fault in Our Stars?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Augustus Waters in the novel. How long ago was Augustus’s leg amputated due to osteosarcoma? How did the amputation affect Augustus? What can you discern of Augustus’s character based on his actions in the novel? How does Augustus’s character evolve in the course of the story?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)