|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 20 means “unyielding” or “unalterable”?
2. What is the name of Augustus’s half sister that speaks at his funeral in Chapter 22?
3. What is the name of the room that Augustus stays in at the hotel in Amsterdam?
4. After Hazel calls 911 in Chapter 18, Augustus says, “Where is my chance to be somebody’s” what?
5. Hazel says in Chapter 21, “When you go into the ER, one of the first things they ask you to do is” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Lancaster reveal to Hazel about her future in Chapter 24? How does Hazel respond?
2. What thoughts does Hazel express regarding her separation from Augustus in Chapter 22?
3. What leads to Augustus’s hospitalization in Chapter 15? What does Hazel learn when she visits him there?
4. How does Hazel express her grief in losing Augustus in Chapter 21?
5. How does Hazel respond when her mother insists she eat dinner in Chapter 24?
6. What does Augustus tell Hazel about his treatment in Chapter 13?
7. What exchange takes place between Hazel and Peter Van Houten after Augustus’s funeral in Chapter 22?
8. What does Augustus reveal to Hazel about the state of his health in Chapter 13?
9. How is Peter Van Houten’s appearance and demeanor described when he appears in Hazel’s car in Chapter 23?
10. What does Hazel encounter when she goes to visit Augustus in Chapter 17? How does she respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss osteosarcoma, the type of cancer that affects Augustus Waters in the novel. What are the causes, symptoms, forms of treatment, and prognosis of the disease? What new experimental treatments have been developed for osteosarcoma in the past decade? What treatments does Augustus undergo?
Essay Topic 2
Courage in The Fault in Our Stars
a. Discuss the concept of courage in the novel. In what ways does Hazel display courage in the face of her illness? How does Augustus exhibit courage?
b. Discuss Hazel’s fears of intimacy and of hurting others in the novel. How does Hazel overcome these fears?
Essay Topic 3
Define “irony” and discuss the irony of Augustus’s illness as revealed in Chapter 13. Why did Hazel gloss over her own prognosis? How does the progression of Augustus’s cancer change the relationship between Hazel and Augustus?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)