|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hazel watch on television with her parents in Chapter 24?
2. At about what time does Augustus call Hazel in Chapter 20?
3. Who is the author of “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”?
4. What word from Chapter 14 means “rightfulness” or “legality”?
5. Hazel wears a t-shirt with a screen print of a famous Surrealist artwork by whom in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Augustus, Isaac, and Hazel do after leaving Augustus’s house in Chapter 14?
2. How are Augustus and Hazel greeted when they arrive at Peter Van Houten’s residence in Chapter 12?
3. How is Peter Van Houten’s appearance and demeanor described when he appears in Hazel’s car in Chapter 23?
4. Who greets Hazel when she arrives at Augustus’s funeral in Chapter 22? What is discussed?
5. What does Hazel encounter when she goes to meet Augustus at the gas station in Chapter 18? How does Hazel deal with the situation?
6. How does Hazel express her grief in losing Augustus in Chapter 21?
7. What do Hazel and Isaac discuss when Hazel visits him in Chapter 23?
8. How is Hazel’s experience at the Anne Frank House described in Chapter 12?
9. How is the restaurant Oranjee described in Chapter 11? What do Hazel and Augustus have here?
10. What does Hazel encounter when she enters the support group meeting area in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the consummation of Hazel and Augustus’s relationship in Chapter 12. How does Hazel feel about losing her virginity to Augustus? In what ways have Hazel’s feelings changed since Augustus first tried to kiss her? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. Where in the city do Augustus, Hazel, and Mrs. Lancaster stay? What monuments and tourist attractions are described in this area of the city? What are Hazel’s impressions of Amsterdam?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Augustus Waters in the novel. How long ago was Augustus’s leg amputated due to osteosarcoma? How did the amputation affect Augustus? What can you discern of Augustus’s character based on his actions in the novel? How does Augustus’s character evolve in the course of the story?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)