|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Shakespearean play does Peter cite in his letter in Chapter 7 with the lines, “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves”?
2. What reply does Augustus send when Hazel texts him in Chapter 8, saying, “Still free May three?”
3. What does “NEC” stand for in the narrative?
4. What is Augustus’s last name in the novel?
5. When Hazel presents the idea of going to Amsterdam to her mother in the beginning of Chapter 6, her mother replies that she will ask whom about it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Hazel go after her class in Chapter 3? What does Hazel’s mother do?
2. What do Isaac and Hazel discuss at the support group meeting in Chapter 9?
3. What does Hazel learn about her trip to Amsterdam at the end of Chapter 8?
4. Why is Hazel taken to the hospital in Chapter 7? What does she learn about her condition when she awakens in ICU?
5. How are Augustus’s driving skills described in Chapter 2?
6. How do Hazel’s doctors respond when she asks about traveling to Amsterdam in Chapter 8?
7. How long does Hazel stay at the hospital in Chapter 7? How is her stay described?
8. What exchange takes place between Hazel and Augustus via text message in Chapter 4?
9. Why do you think Hazel and Augustus relate well to one another in the novel?
10. What does Hazel say she considers depression to be a side effect of in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Mrs. Lancaster in the novel. How does Hazel describe her relationship with her mother? Do you think Mrs. Lancaster is a likable character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Augustus Waters in the novel. How long ago was Augustus’s leg amputated due to osteosarcoma? How did the amputation affect Augustus? What can you discern of Augustus’s character based on his actions in the novel? How does Augustus’s character evolve in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Nurse Allison in the novel. What does Hazel relate to the reader regarding “good nurses” and “bad nurses”? Into which category does Nurse Allison fall? Why?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)