|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Amsterdam is the capital city of what country?
2. Where do Hazel, her mother, and Augustus change planes on their trip to Amsterdam in Chapter 10?
3. The narrator’s mother in An Imperial Affliction is described in Chapter 4 as having an obsession with what kind of flowers?
4. An Imperial Affliction is a novel about a girl who lives in what U.S. state?
5. In the beginning of Chapter 3, Hazel says she stayed up late that night reading what book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place during the movie in Chapter 2? How does Hazel get home after the film?
2. What discussion takes place between Hazel and Isaac at Isaac’s house in Chapter 9?
3. What do Isaac and Hazel discuss at the support group meeting in Chapter 9?
4. What internal conflict causes Hazel to call her friend Kaitlyn in Chapter 6?
5. What medical devices does Hazel use in the novel? Why?
6. What book is Hazel reading in Chapter 4? What is the book about?
7. Why is Hazel taken to the hospital in Chapter 7? What does she learn about her condition when she awakens in ICU?
8. How long does Hazel stay at the hospital in Chapter 7? How is her stay described?
9. What is foreshadowed by Hazel’s visit to the support group in Chapter 9?
10. Why does Augustus suggest selling Hazel’s swing set in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of Amsterdam in the Netherlands. Where in the city do Augustus, Hazel, and Mrs. Lancaster stay? What monuments and tourist attractions are described in this area of the city? What are Hazel’s impressions of Amsterdam?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the consummation of Hazel and Augustus’s relationship in Chapter 12. How does Hazel feel about losing her virginity to Augustus? In what ways have Hazel’s feelings changed since Augustus first tried to kiss her? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Isaac in the novel. For how long has Hazel known Isaac through the support group before she meets Augustus? How does Augustus know Isaac? For how long have they been friends? How does Isaac’s cancer progress in the novel?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)