|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many pages is An Imperial Affliction said to be in Chapter 4?
2. What is the name of the leader of the support group that Hazel attends in the novel?
3. What illness led to Augustus’s ex-girlfriend’s death?
4. What holiday does Hazel’s mother say it is when she wakes Hazel in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 5, Hazel says that “Worry is yet another side effect of” what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hazel learn about her trip to Amsterdam at the end of Chapter 8?
2. What does Hazel say she considers depression to be a side effect of in Chapter 1?
3. What reply does Hazel receive via email in Chapter 5? How does Hazel respond?
4. Why is Hazel taken to the hospital in Chapter 7? What does she learn about her condition when she awakens in ICU?
5. What information about Peter Van Houten does Augustus relate to Hazel in Chapter 5?
6. What medical devices does Hazel use in the novel? Why?
7. What does Augustus reveal about himself at the cancer support group meeting in Chapter 1?
8. What is foreshadowed by Hazel’s visit to the support group in Chapter 9?
9. What do Isaac and Hazel discuss at the support group meeting in Chapter 9?
10. What do Hazel and her mother encounter when the approach the door of Augustus’s house in Chapter 10? How do they respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage in The Fault in Our Stars
a. Discuss the concept of courage in the novel. In what ways does Hazel display courage in the face of her illness? How does Augustus exhibit courage?
b. Discuss Hazel’s fears of intimacy and of hurting others in the novel. How does Hazel overcome these fears?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss osteosarcoma, the type of cancer that affects Augustus Waters in the novel. What are the causes, symptoms, forms of treatment, and prognosis of the disease? What new experimental treatments have been developed for osteosarcoma in the past decade? What treatments does Augustus undergo?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Kaitlyn in the novel. How old is Kaitlyn? Where does Hazel know Kaitlyn from? How has Hazel’s friendship with Kaitlyn changed since her removal from school?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)