|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much fluid does Hazel learn was drained from her lungs when she awakens in the ICU in Chapter 7?
2. What movie has Hazel come to Augustus’s house to watch in Chapter 2?
3. Whom does Dr. Maria look to when asking about how they should proceed with Hazel’s treatment in the “Cancer Team Meeting” in the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. What school does Augustus say he attends in Chapter 2?
5. What hospital is Hazel taken to in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hazel encounter when she arrives at Augustus’s house in Chapter 4?
2. How does the relationship between Hazel and Augustus progress in Chapter 6? What fears does Hazel exhibit about Augustus?
3. What is foreshadowed by Hazel’s visit to the support group in Chapter 9?
4. Where does Augustus go prior to the boarding of the plane in Chapter 10? Why?
5. How are Augustus’s driving skills described in Chapter 2?
6. What do Hazel and her parents do in the beginning of Chapter 10?
7. What do Hazel and her mother encounter when the approach the door of Augustus’s house in Chapter 10? How do they respond?
8. What book is Hazel reading in Chapter 4? What is the book about?
9. What does Augustus reveal about himself at the cancer support group meeting in Chapter 1?
10. Whom does Hazel send an email to in Chapter 5? What does she say in the email?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of relationships in The Fault in Our Stars. What romantic relationships have been seen in the first chapters of the narrative? What are the reasons that Isaac’s relationship with Monica has ended? How does this breakup influence Hazel’s thoughts for her own future romantic relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Isaac in the novel. For how long has Hazel known Isaac through the support group before she meets Augustus? How does Augustus know Isaac? For how long have they been friends? How does Isaac’s cancer progress in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Define “irony” and discuss the irony of Augustus’s illness as revealed in Chapter 13. Why did Hazel gloss over her own prognosis? How does the progression of Augustus’s cancer change the relationship between Hazel and Augustus?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)