|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie has Hazel come to Augustus’s house to watch in Chapter 2?
2. What is the name of Isaac’s little brother who interrupts the video game in Chapter 9?
3. The narrator’s mother in An Imperial Affliction is described in Chapter 4 as having an obsession with what kind of flowers?
4. What concept does Peter Van Houten describe as “a slut” in his letter in Chapter 7?
5. Hazel’s parents come to her room after her outburst at dinner to tell her she is not what, in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Hazel taken to the hospital in Chapter 7? What does she learn about her condition when she awakens in ICU?
2. What exchange takes place between Hazel and Augustus via text message in Chapter 4?
3. What do Hazel and her parents do in the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. What differences do you see between Hazel and her friend Kaitlyn in Chapter 3?
5. How do Hazel’s doctors respond when she asks about traveling to Amsterdam in Chapter 8?
6. How does Hazel perceive Augustus’s feelings for her in Chapter 6?
7. What takes place during the movie in Chapter 2? How does Hazel get home after the film?
8. Whom does Hazel send an email to in Chapter 5? What does she say in the email?
9. What does Hazel say she considers depression to be a side effect of in Chapter 1?
10. Why does Augustus suggest selling Hazel’s swing set in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the causes, symptoms, prognosis, and treatments for thyroid cancer. When in Chapter 1 does Hazel say she was diagnosed with thyroid cancer? What treatments has she undergone? Which were successful? How has Hazel’s cancer affected her everyday life since she was diagnosed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Nurse Allison in the novel. What does Hazel relate to the reader regarding “good nurses” and “bad nurses”? Into which category does Nurse Allison fall? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Cancer Team Meeting that Hazel attends with her parents and doctors in Chapter 8. What is related regarding Hazel’s treatment with the drug Phalanxifor at the meeting? Based upon the discussions at the meeting, how would you describe Hazel’s prognosis? What is decided regarding Hazel’s trip to Amsterdam?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)