|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the room that Augustus stays in at the hotel in Amsterdam?
(a) The Heidegger
(b) The Kierkegaard
(c) The Hermit
(d) The Kafka
2. Where was Augustus when he died, according to the narrator in Chapter 21?
(a) His grandmother’s home
(b) His home
(c) Children’s Hospital
(d) Memorial Hospital
3. Who does Hazel call to tell about Augustus’s death in Chapter 21?
(b) Peter Van Houten
4. What does Peter Van Houten have to drink when he invites Hazel and Augustus into his home in Chapter 12?
5. What does Augustus ask Hazel to prepare and bring when she meets him in Chapter 20?
(a) A eulogy
(b) A side dish
(c) A letter for Peter Van Houten
(d) A song
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of “The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock”?
2. What is served for dinner at Augustus’s house when Hazel and her parents visit in Chapter 15?
3. Hazel says in Chapter 21, “When you go into the ER, one of the first things they ask you to do is” what?
4. What is written on the sign that Hazel’s father holds at the airport in Chapter 14?
5. The word “ontology” from Chapter 12 refers to a branch of metaphysics concerned with the nature of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Augustus and Hazel greeted when they arrive at Peter Van Houten’s residence in Chapter 12?
2. What do Augustus, Isaac, and Hazel do after leaving Augustus’s house in Chapter 14?
3. How is Hazel’s experience at the Anne Frank House described in Chapter 12?
4. Where is Augustus when he dies in Chapter 21? How does Hazel learn of his death?
5. What is ironic about the conflicts that arise between Hazel and her parents in Chapter 20?
6. What leads up to the argument between Hazel and her parents in Chapter 20?
7. What does Hazel encounter when she goes to meet Augustus at the gas station in Chapter 18? How does Hazel deal with the situation?
8. What thoughts does Hazel express regarding her separation from Augustus in Chapter 22?
9. Why does Augustus’s father call Hazel in Chapter 24? How does Hazel respond?
10. Who greets Hazel when she arrives at Augustus’s funeral in Chapter 22? What is discussed?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)