|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Augustus ask Hazel to meet him at 8:00 p.m. when he calls in Chapter 20?
(a) Children’s Hospital
(b) The Literal Heart of Jesus
(c) The movie theater
(d) Memorial Hospital
2. What word from Chapter 13 refers to the disintegration, collapse, or breakdown of norms of thought or behavior?
3. What does Hazel slip into Augustus’s coffin at his funeral in Chapter 22?
(a) A CD
(b) A gold ring
(c) A poem she wrote for him
(d) A pack of cigarettes
4. What character from An Imperial Affliction does Hazel try to dress like when she goes to meet Peter Van Houten in Chapter 12?
5. Where does Augustus describe ten thousand corpses following the explosion of a volcano in Chapter 14?
6. When Hazel visits Augustus in Chapter 16, they eat a lunch of peanut-butter sandwiches and what?
(a) Apple pie
7. What is the name of Augustus’s half sister that speaks at his funeral in Chapter 22?
8. What word from Chapter 20 means “unyielding” or “unalterable”?
9. How many marriages end in the year after a child’s death, according to Hazel in Chapter 23?
(a) One third
(b) One half
(c) One sixth
(d) One quarter
10. What century does the cab driver describe as the “Golden Age” in Chapter 11?
(a) The 12th century
(b) The 18th century
(c) The 16th century
(d) The 17th century
11. In Isaac’s eulogy for Augustus in Chapter 22, he says that Augustus “was the Mayor of the Secret City of” what?
12. Who does the waiter say paid the bill for Hazel and Augustus’s dinner at the fancy restaurant in Chapter 11?
(a) Lidewij Vliegenthart
(b) Derek Wellington
(c) Mrs. Lancaster
(d) Peter Van Houten
13. When Hazel goes to Isaac’s house in Chapter 23, he says his mother took his brother where?
(a) To the hospital
(b) To the bookstore
(c) To church
(d) To the movies
14. In the conclusion of Hazel’s speech in Chapter 20, she says to Augustus, “You gave me a forever within” what?
(a) “The world”
(b) “The numbered days”
(c) “Every tomorrow”
(d) “Your heart”
15. How does the minister introduce Hazel at Augustus’s funeral in Chapter 22?
(a) “Augustus’s special friend”
(b) “Augustus’s fiancée”
(c) “Augustus’s sister”
(d) "Augustus’s girlfriend”
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hazel call to tell about Augustus’s death in Chapter 21?
2. During Hazel’s speech in Chapter 20, she says, “I can’t talk about our love story, so I will talk about” what?
3. In the following excerpt from Chapter 13, what literary technique is used? “[H]e broke down, just for one moment, his sob roaring impotent like a clap of thunder unaccompanied by lightning…”
4. Where was Augustus when he died, according to the narrator in Chapter 21?
5. Who does Peter Von Houten describe in Chapter 23 as “the youngest nonmartyr saint ever beatified by the Catholic Church”?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)