|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character from An Imperial Affliction does Hazel try to dress like when she goes to meet Peter Van Houten in Chapter 12?
2. Who does Peter Von Houten describe in Chapter 23 as “the youngest nonmartyr saint ever beatified by the Catholic Church”?
(a) Adelaide of Italy
(b) Antonietta Meo
(c) Gracia Monteiro da Fonseca
(d) Barbara da Costa
3. The word “ontology” from Chapter 12 refers to a branch of metaphysics concerned with the nature of what?
(a) Religious belief
4. In the conclusion of Hazel’s speech in Chapter 20, she says to Augustus, “You gave me a forever within” what?
(a) “The numbered days”
(b) “Your heart”
(c) “Every tomorrow”
(d) “The world”
5. What does Hazel slip into Augustus’s coffin at his funeral in Chapter 22?
(a) A pack of cigarettes
(b) A gold ring
(c) A poem she wrote for him
(d) A CD
6. After Augustus’s death in Chapter 21, Hazel says, “The pleasure of remembering had been taken from me, because there was no longer” what?
(a) “A reason to remember”
(b) “Any happiness in the memories”
(c) “Anyone to remember with”
(d) “A reason to live”
7. What kind of cancer does Peter Von Houten say Augustus had in Chapter 23?
(a) Cervical carcinoma
(c) Kaposi's sarcoma
8. What is served for dinner at Augustus’s house when Hazel and her parents visit in Chapter 15?
(a) Stuffed peppers
(b) Roasted turkey
(d) Rack of lamb
9. When Hazel visits Augustus in Chapter 16, they eat a lunch of peanut-butter sandwiches and what?
(d) Apple pie
10. Where does Hazel’s mother say she’s going to visit while Hazel and Augustus go to meet Peter Van Houten in Chapter 12?
(a) The Van Gogh Museum
(b) The Rijksmuseum
(c) The Anne Frank House
(d) The Louvre
11. What is the name of the tube that connects to Hazel’s oxygen tank and is inserted into her nostrils for breathing?
12. After Hazel calls 911 in Chapter 18, Augustus says, “Where is my chance to be somebody’s” what?
(a) “Peter Van Houten”
(b) “Derek Wellington”
(c) “Lidewij Vliegenthart”
(d) “Mother Teresa”
13. What kind of treatment does Augustus say he gave up in order to go to Amsterdam in Chapter 13?
(a) Antimetabolite chemotherapy
(b) Epirubicin chemotherapy
(c) Palliative chemotherapy
(d) Hyperthermia therapy
14. What is Peter Van Houten wearing when he answers the door in Chapter 12?
(a) A paisley smoking jacket
(b) Blue pajamas
(c) A heavy winter coat
(d) A black tuxedo
15. Hazel says in Chapter 23, “I was thinking about way back in the very beginning in the Literal Heart of Jesus when Gus told us that he feared” what?
(a) Hurting his family
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter Von Houten take out and begin drinking as Hazel’s parents give him a ride after the funeral in Chapter 22?
2. In the opening of Chapter 20, Hazel says, “One of the less bullshitty conventions of the cancer kid genre is” what?
3. What does Hazel watch on television with her parents in Chapter 24?
4. What is the name of the room that Augustus stays in at the hotel in Amsterdam?
5. What is the name of the science teacher that Augustus recalls telling his class about the true nature of clouds in Chapter 14?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)