|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Isaac’s little brother who interrupts the video game in Chapter 9?
2. What is the name of the hamster in An Imperial Affliction that Hazel asks about in her email to the author in Chapter 5?
3. What date does Hazel’s mother say it is when she wakes Hazel up in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) July 14
(b) March 29
(c) September 12
(d) April 13
4. What television show does Hazel want to stay home and watch instead of going to the cancer support group in Chapter 1?
(a) Saturday Night Live
(b) America’s Next Top Model
(c) The View
(d) Twin Peaks
5. What movie about a Spartan battle do Hazel and Augustus watch during the flight to Amsterdam?
6. For how long does Hazel say she’ll be gone on her trip to Amsterdam in Chapter 10?
(a) 3 days
(b) 7 days
(c) 5 days
(d) 6 days
7. Peter Van Houten quotes from which of Shakespeare’s sonnets in his letter to Augustus in Chapter 7?
(a) The forty-third sonnet
(b) The fifteenth sonnet
(c) The fifty-fifth sonnet
(d) The thirty-ninth sonnet
8. What is Augustus’s last name in the novel?
9. At what time does Hazel’s mother wake her up on the day of their flight in Chapter 10?
(a) 10:00 a.m.
(b) 6:45 a.m.
(c) 5:30 a.m.
(d) 8:30 a.m.
10. What movie star does Augustus frequently compare Hazel to in the novel?
(a) Helena Bonham Carter
(b) Meryl Streep
(c) Angelina Jolie
(d) Natalie Portman
11. The title of An Imperial Affliction is said to be derived from a poem by whom in Chapter 5?
(a) Sylvia Plath
(b) T. S. Elliot
(c) Emily Dickinson
(d) Walt Whitman
12. The protagonist in the book that Augustus lent Hazel is described in Chapter 3 as killing how many people in 284 pages?
13. An Imperial Affliction is a novel about a girl who lives in what U.S. state?
(a) New Jersey
(c) North Carolina
14. What is Hazel’s mother doing when Hazel calls to her after reading Von Houten’s assistant’s email in Chapter 8?
(a) Cooking dinner
(b) Writing a letter
(c) Taking a bath
(d) Talking on the phone
15. What is the name of the video game Augustus and Isaac are playing when Hazel arrives in Chapter 4?
(a) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
(b) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
(c) Final Fantasy VII
(d) Counterinsurgence 2: The Price of Dawn
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does Hazel refer to her regular doctor that her mother takes her to see for depression in Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 5, Hazel says that “Worry is yet another side effect of” what?
3. What color eyes does Hazel have in the novel?
4. At what kind of church does Hazel’s cancer support group meet in the novel?
5. What is the name of the little girl that asks Hazel about her oxygen device at the mall in Chapter 3?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)