|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Copperheads?
(a) Union spies working behind Confederate lines.
(b) Republicans who oppose the Civil War.
(c) Former Confederates who work for the Union.
(d) Northern Democrats who oppose the Civil War.
2. Who is Edwin M. Stanton?
(a) A Brigadier General of the Union Army.
(b) Lincoln's Secretary of State.
(c) Lincoln's Secretary of War.
(d) The Attorney General.
3. Which Democratic supporter gives a speech during the 1864 campaigns claiming that emancipation will make postwar reunion difficult?
(a) George B. McClellan.
(b) Clement Vallandingham.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Horatio Seymour.
4. In Chapter 6, which Anti-Lincoln historian is accused of exaggerating partisan abuse and political exploitation?
(a) James G. Randall.
(b) James McPherson.
(c) Frank Klement.
(d) Dean Sprague.
5. How does Lincoln justify the suppression of such constitutional rights such as freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and habeas corpus?
(a) Spies could damage the commerce of the Union.
(b) Such rights are earned, not given.
(c) The country must temporarily give up freedom for safety.
(d) Rebels are using these rights to aid their rebellion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Samuel E. Perkins do in Chapter 4?
2. What do William Seward and George McClelland approve in Chapter 1?
3. In Chapter 6, what are the primary reasons for most arrests of Northern citizens?
4. Why do mobs burn railroad bridges in Chapter 1?
5. Which Union general has President Lincoln's blessing to arrest all the men he wishes and freeing those who are willing to take an oath of allegiance?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)