|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what is Aubrey anxious?
2. Who are Manu and Taio?
3. Padeen Coleman is proving himself to be ____________.
4. Where are Aubrey and Maturin taken?
5. What becomes evident as the days pass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in The Far Side of the World.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of The Far Side of the World. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of The Far Side of the World. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Patrick O'Brian has tried as much as possible to use historical events and facts around which to weave his work of fiction. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think The Far Side of the World qualifies as an historical fiction? Why or why not?
2. If much of the events in the book are historical, what surprises you about the way the events play out?
3. Do you think the culture of that era is more or less advanced than you imagined? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in The Far Side of the World. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think O'Brian chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think O'Brian chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss O'Brian's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does O'Brian use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 2,456 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)