|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Aubrey in a hurry to do?
(a) Get back to the Mediterranean.
(b) Get a dispatch off to England.
(c) Get back to England and leave his son with his wife.
(d) Get to sea.
2. What does Manu do when a shark appears?
(a) Throws an oar at it.
(b) Dives in and harpoons it.
(c) Dives in and kills it with a knife.
(d) Spears it.
3. What is the passageway down the river like?
(a) A clear, deep channel.
(b) Fast current and gentle bends.
(d) They do not have to go down the river.
4. How does Surprise get off the mud bank?
(a) They lighten the ship and wait for the tide to come in.
(b) The crew has to dig her out.
(c) The hole in the hull is repaired and the water is pumped out which allows her to float off it.
(d) She is pulled.
5. What do the crewmen of the Surprise urge the Whalers to do?
(a) Let their children run freely.
(c) Let them dance with their wives at the music fests.
(d) Inappropriate things to amuse the Surprise's crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Aubrey learn about Danaë?
2. What does Mrs. Horner claim about her husband?
3. What does the older women want to do with Aubrey?
4. What does Maturin find when he arrives at Horner's cabin?
5. Who does not return to the ship after Aubrey orders Surprise to set sail?
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)