|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rumors once existed about Mrs. Fielding?
(a) She was having an affair with Aubrey.
(b) She was a British undercover agent.
(c) She was having an affair with Nelson.
(d) She was a French spy.
2. With whom does Surprise rendezvous unexpectedly?
(a) The USS Constitution.
(b) Several Indiamen.
(c) The HMS Dagger.
(d) A French privateer.
3. Why is Nagel lashed?
(a) He steals another crew's rations.
(b) He lies about his duty.
(c) He is insolent to Hollom.
(d) He is rude to one of the wives on board.
4. What do Maturin and Martin do after readying for their next assignment?
(a) Open a free clinic for a few days.
(b) Research local diseases.
(c) Catch up on their sleep.
(d) Observe the local flora and fauna.
5. What island does the Surprise sail past?
(d) None; they are out in the open seas.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Aubrey need a schoolteacher?
2. What happens to over half of the whales killed?
3. How were Maturin and Mrs. Fielding rumored to once be associated?
4. What request does Maturin make of Aubrey concerning his friend?
5. Why does Aubrey contrive to cross the equator on Sunday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the highest ranking officers besides Aubrey and how are Mr. Martin and Hollom viewed?
2. What does Allen say about how whales are used?
3. With whom does Aubrey meet in Gibraltar and what is the rumor about him and Mrs. Fielding?
4. Who does Surprise encounter?
5. Why does Aubrey start to seek land?
6. What happens to the whalers in the long boat?
7. What sort of information does Allen discuss?
8. What does Aubrey learn about Norfolk?
9. What happens when Maturin and Aubrey return to the Surprise?
10. Who is in the long boat that pulls alongside Surprise and what do they tell Aubrey?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)