|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of ship is the Surprise?
(a) A British man-of-war.
(b) A slaver.
(c) A merchant frigate.
(d) A passenger ferry.
2. Who commands Surprise?
(a) Captain Jack Aubrey.
(b) Captain Hollom.
(c) Captain Fielding.
(d) Captain Stephen Maturin.
3. What friend does Maturin encounter on shore?
(b) Reverend Mr. Brierly.
(c) Reverend John Jells.
(d) Reverend Mr. Martin.
4. What does Aubrey notice as Surprise sails South?
(a) The crew is hiding something from Aubrey.
(b) Divisions in the crews.
(c) The bilges are smelling particularly badly.
(d) The crew is getting along better than usual.
5. Whom does Maturin observe trying to flirt with Mrs. Horner?
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to accept a lesser position on Surprise since he has no other options at the time?
2. What does Maturin do with the blood from the crew?
3. With whom does Surprise rendezvous unexpectedly?
4. When does Maturin bleed the entire crew?
5. What does Dundas suggest to Aubrey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aubrey anxious and how are Maturin and Martin passing the time while Surprise is under repair?
2. What does Aubrey learn about Norfolk?
3. What happens when the Surprise encounters the outrigger with the Polynesian women?
4. What happens to the whalers in the long boat?
5. How do Aubrey and Maturin react to being on the desolate island?
6. What does Aubrey brood as Surprise approaches the equator?
7. What factions exist among the Americans?
8. What does Allen say about how whales are used?
9. What does Higgins begin to do among the crew members?
10. Who is in the long boat that pulls alongside Surprise and what do they tell Aubrey?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)