|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maturin relax?
(a) Taking laudanum.
(b) Climbing the rigging.
(c) Running around the poop deck.
(d) Writing poetry.
2. Who is Dundas?
(a) A longtime enemy of Aubrey's.
(b) Maturin's cousin.
(c) Mrs. Fielding's brother.
(d) A longtime friend of Aubrey's.
3. What does Sir Ives say about the USS Norfolk?
(a) It is prowling the waters of South America.
(b) It is on a mission to destroy British whalers.
(c) It is stranded in Greenland.
(d) It is on a mission to enlist France's aid against the British.
4. What is running low on the ship?
(b) The water.
(d) Fresh fruit.
5. What happens to several of Aubrey's officers?
(a) They desert.
(b) They are promoted onto other ships.
(c) They retire.
(d) They are ill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumors once existed about Mrs. Fielding?
2. Who is Higgins?
3. How were Maturin and Mrs. Fielding rumored to once be associated?
4. What friend does Maturin encounter on shore?
5. Where does Aubrey recruit some dozen of the new sailors on the Surprise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with the Danaë, and what does Aubrey do?
2. What happens to Surprise, and where do they go to take care of the problem?
3. What does Horner confront Maturin about and what is Maturin's response?
4. With what is much of the early voyage of Surprise taken?
5. How does Mr. Martin come to join the crew of the Surprise?
6. What transpires in Aubrey's meeting with Admiral Sir Ives?
7. Who goes ashore and who comes to meet the British and what is decided about Maturin?
8. What does Maturin learn about HMS Danaë?
9. What factions exist among the Americans?
10. When did Surprise's launch appear and what did Midshipman Honey tell Aubrey?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)