|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Maturin observe trying to flirt with Mrs. Horner?
(c) No one.
2. Why is Nagel lashed?
(a) He is rude to one of the wives on board.
(b) He is insolent to Hollom.
(c) He steals another crew's rations.
(d) He lies about his duty.
3. What does Aubrey feel compelled to do concerning Hollom?
(a) Fight a duel for him.
(b) Report to Admiral Stearns about Hollom's incompetence.
(c) Give him some money.
(d) Offer him a position aboard Surprise.
4. Where is Surprise to meet the HMS Danaë?
(a) Near Boston.
(b) Near Haiti.
(c) Near Newfoundland.
(d) Near Buenos Aires.
5. Where does Aubrey recruit some dozen of the new sailors on the Surprise?
(a) The local bars.
(b) A penal colony.
(c) Other ships.
(d) An insane asylum.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hollom begin that is scandalous?
2. Why do whaling ships have prominent crow's nests?
3. Who commands Surprise?
4. What does Aubrey notice as Surprise sails South?
5. What does Higgins begin to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Aubrey anxious and how are Maturin and Martin passing the time while Surprise is under repair?
2. Who is in the long boat that pulls alongside Surprise and what do they tell Aubrey?
3. What does Aubrey learn about Norfolk and how does his haste ultimately slow things down?
4. Who does Maturin recruit to assist him in the sick berth area?
5. Where does Surprise reach at the opening to chapter 6, and what does it do there?
6. Where are Martin and Maturin really excited about the idea of shore leave?
7. Whom does Surprise encounter and what do they send with them?
8. What happens to the whalers in the long boat?
9. Who is Dundas and what does he suggest to Aubrey?
10. Why does Aubrey start to seek land?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)